Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Midwife?

Default Good Midwife?

I was not happy with my obstetrician for my first baby. Through the whole pregnancy my OB was impersonal, impatient and uninterested in anything I had concerns about. I also felt like I was part of a herd of cattle when I was waiting for 2-3 hours with other pregnant woman for each appointment. I plan to go with a midwife next time around. Anyone have a wonderful midwife they care to share? You can PM me if you'd like.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I adore both Katherine and Sam of Womancare. Very different styles, but both are lovely, respectful women who are not in it for the ego-stroking. They are very competent midwives worthy of great trust IMO. And their labour-side manners are fabulous.

I personally do not like Elana, but she usually doesn't take first time clients anyway so I highly doubt you'd end up getting her.

You don't really get to choose your midwife, exactly. You more just call and get assigned somebody. But it's good to know names of those with whom others have had positive and negative experiences IMO, coz that way you might be able to shift from one to another, if you speak up right away.

I'd call like right now to get care tho, if you are pg, or as soon as you get the positive.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

I didn't choose my midwife, but was thrilled with the ones I was assigned to (Celeste and Katherine at Womancare). Call as soon as you can and get on a waiting list!
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

I had Marie at Womancare Midwives and found her to be very sweet and personable. She is one of the older more experienced ones there. Celeste (sp?) was my secondary and she was very down to earth and straight forward. Either of those 2 would be good. Just to let you know if you are a new client, they are likely to give you a newer person. If this is not something you want, be upfront about it right away and remember to call as soon as you find out your pregnant. The longer you wait, the less likely you will get in!
    I love midwives and if I get pregnant again, will stick with them. Who else would call you at home to find out how your hemorrhoids or your cracked nipples were doing? Only a midwife!
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

Banned

Marie at Womancare Midwives is/was the best...she called me last week to see how breastfeeding is going.She did not deliver Noah..Erin and Liz did . They are great too,but I think Erin has gone to St. Thomas and Liz may be on Mat leave...calll as soon as you get a BFP

I also had Sam and Lisa at Womancare...they both were great! Sam was the one that delivered my LO, and I can't say enough wonderful things about her, or about the midwives in general. I was so impressed and had such great care...highly recommended!
    Mama to TWO little sweetie pies!!

I believe Celeste is moving to Guelph, isn't she?
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

I had Kathi and Terralee at thames valley.. loved Terralee.. Kathi did lots for me but I kind felt like a giant liability.. but I was "high risk".

my advice would be ask the hard questions "what will you do if I go overdue? am GBS pos.? Have a large for dates baby? want to refuse __________ test/procedure?" and don't take "wait and see" for an answer. KWIM?

Also check out the Talbot Creek midwives- I have heard amazing things about them.. they were at thames valley when I had Bryce.
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by bikruca

Also check out the Talbot Creek midwives- I have heard amazing things about them.. they were at thames valley when I had Bryce.
    I was with thames Valley for my last pregnancy. The midwives I had(an LOVED) left and formed Talbot Creek Midwives.

Regardless of who you choose I think that you will find what you are looking for with whomever is looking after your care.

Call and get on the waiting list ASAP for all of them as the take previous patients first and fill in any openings with new patients.

Yes, Celeste is moving to Guelph this summer. Liz is pregnant, so if she's not on mat leave now, she will be soon.

Jane was my fav at WomanCare. I wouldn't have Teri again.

mumtobelle

I had Marie with my second one and was/am extremely fond of her. She was really wonderful! Sadly if I have another baby I no longer have the option of a midwife. It's an OB next time around

I had Marie at WomanCare and LOVED her to pieces. She was soooooo good with me. I had Jane deliver ds because Marie was on Xmas vacation, and didn't hit it off with her At All.

I loved the ladies at Womancare! Teri was my primary and Liz my secondary. In my experience Thames Valley was harder to get into than Womancare, but call ASAP!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi
    I was with thames Valley for my last pregnancy. The midwives I had(an LOVED) left and formed Talbot Creek Midwives.
    Same here. I had Nikki as my primary, who I absolutely loved. She was at Thames Valley then, but she's at Talbot Creek now. I also had appointments during my pregnancy with the other ladies who went on to form Talbot Creek as well, and liked all of them.

Taralee at Thames Valley Midwives ended up being my second-attending midwife at my birth, and she was really nice. She's still at Thames Valley, as far as I know.
    formerly Kathy

Old East, in my garden. Behind the purple door.

I have TVM, too.

Heather C (No Longer there) was my primary. She was nice. not great.

Nikki was my secondary. She was very professional, but very Medical based IMO.
    Lindsay
    YouSupporting You On Your Journey From Belly 2 Baby www.bellies2babies.com
    Emillia - Midwife Hospital Birth Jan 2006, Nursed 26 months.
    Terran - Midwife Home Waterbirth Aug 2008. Nursed 14 months.
    Ryker - Midwife Home Waterbirth April 2010. Yes, I am still nursing!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast