Thread: EI claims

Default EI claims

Hello to all:
    I am wondering if someone can help me out with this question. I was on Sick leave from June 30th last year and had Keanna in October. I went to report my ei claim and they say this is my last claim. I am wondering if I am allowed a full year once Keanna was born or do they consider my year starting when I went on sick leave benefits. Let me know if anyone else has had this happen to you.

Thanks Sara

I had sick leave - but since I had benefits through work I had to use them before you can use EI. But from what I understand your sick leave is different than your mat leave and you start the mat leave the day your baby is born. So that would mean more than a full year (there may be a max...but I'm not sure on that)

Expert Forum User

Sick leave is 15 weeks and then you can take mat leave on top of that. It would depend on how you applied, I think. Did you apply for parental leave? Mat leave is only an additional 15 weeks and then you can take another 35 weeks parental. With the combo of all three you should get over a year paid. Check out the website.

http://www1.servicecanada.gc.ca/en/e.../special.shtml

Default EI CLAIM

Thanks for your responses. I have found out I have 11 more weeks as that is how many weeks I took on Sick leave.
    Sara