Thread: Health Cards

Expert Forum User

Default Health Cards

What is a health card for? Besides showing it at dr.'s appointments obviously. Like does DS need one for sport sign-ups?
    We're getting DS's tomorrow- had to wait for his citizenship certificate... just wondering what he needs it for- DS's health insurance is through mine in the states, which is covered here if an emergency comes up.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

well I suppose if you had all your own insurance and were prepared to pay for things up front you really wouldn't need it persay. It is mostly just for coverage of medical expenses. From what I understand the schools, sports organizations etc ask for them so that if there is an emergency they have them for getting the child to the hospital and whatnot. If you are going to morrow to get it though they will give you a temporary number right away.
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Expert Forum User

Sports organizations do generally ask for a health card number. It is generally for just in case you aren't there scenarios and your child needs medical attention. He would get treated even if you didn't have a health card but it saves a lot of potential headaches later if you have it.

Expert Forum User

Alright, thanks! He's getting registered for soccer soon, and it's didn't say to bring a health card to register, but I notice a lot of things do require it, so I'm assuming he will need one for soccer. So do schools require one too?

Expert Forum User

Residents of Ontario are entitled to health coverage under OHIP - Ontario Health Insurance Program. It covers basic health care and optometrist visits (annually for children). You would then use your health insurance from the states for any extended health benefits.
    Curious though. You say you had to wait for his citizenship certificate to get it. Are you going to continue to be a resident of Ontario? Otherwise OHIP will not cover him after a certain period of absence. And, I personally would want to check my coverage in the US to see how long he is covered if you are in fact residing in Canada.
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by tansie View Post
    Residents of Ontario are entitled to health coverage under OHIP - Ontario Health Insurance Program. It covers basic health care and optometrist visits (annually for children). You would then use your health insurance from the states for any extended health benefits.
    Curious though. You say you had to wait for his citizenship certificate to get it. Are you going to continue to be a resident of Ontario? Otherwise OHIP will not cover him after a certain period of absence. And, I personally would want to check my coverage in the US to see how long he is covered if you are in fact residing in Canada.
    Yeah, he will still be a resident of Ontario- he was born in the states but has always lived in canada. He'll still be covered in the states, and will still have all his well-baby appointments in the states. We don't plan to actually use his health card until time constraints require us to (when we have more kids and are super busy, and the travel time to michigan is a strain) which shouldn't be for a few more years.

i think they need one for school