Thread: How much food?

Expert Forum User

Default How much food?

DS#2 will be 6 months in a little over a week and to me it seems that he eats a lot when he's offered solids. For the past week he will eat at least 3 tbsp of cereal sometimes mixed with a cube of fruit for breakfast. For dinner he will eat an entire cube of vegetable and another whole cube of fruit or half a banana. I'm pretty sure he would eat more if I offered it to him!

How much are all the other 6 month olds eating right now? Is my kid the norm or a pig!? I really don't remember his brother eating that much until a bit later.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

findleyfarms

My little guy is a big eater, at least compared to his sister at 6 months. He is polishing off about 3 jars (small size) a day, plus cereal once or twice a day. He's not chubby at all, just really hungry

I think the advice I received the first time around was to offer a wide selection and let them tell you when they are full. Slow feeds are good too to ensure they have time for their tummies to start to feel full.

You'll also find they will eat like crazy one day and not so much on others, and vary with growth spurts.

Expert Forum User

I guess I'm also comparing Owen to his older brother who was a good eater but didn't eat a lot at one sitting. From the sounds of it though, I think he'll be eating as much as your little guy in about a month.

I'm scared to think of my grocery bills when they are teenagers! YIKES!
    Jodie

Expert Forum User

are the pp's still BFing or using formula or not?

Expert Forum User

He nurses 4 or 5 times during the day and then usually once throughout the night. He only gets formula if I'm not home.
    Jodie

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I was going to post something similar to this. We are just starting solids and I can't remember how many times a day I shoudl be feeding dd she's a week shy of 6 months.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by jjsam78
    I was going to post something similar to this. We are just starting solids and I can't remember how many times a day I shoudl be feeding dd she's a week shy of 6 months.
    As you can see from my first post, I'm feeding Owen solids at breakfast and dinner. I will probably go to three meals a day when I start introducing meats, so not for another month or two. HTH.
    Jodie

Senior Member Madie&Logan's Mom's Avatar

I think Logan eats alot.

Yesterday he had:

7am 6 oz. bottle
    8am 4 tbsp cereal
    11am 6 oz. bottle
    12pm 2 cubes of carrots
    2pm 6 oz. bottle
    5pm 6oz. bottle and almost 1/2 mashed banana
    8pm 2 oz. bottle

Today pretty much the same for lunch with an extra cube of carrots (3 now) and I just made some applesauce which he loved.
    ~Christine~

Mom to Madison Anne (5) and Logan Douglas (2)

I have always gone by this and find it quite useful:
    http://www.healthunit.com/articlesPDF/12308.pdf
    It gives you an idea of how much at each age you are to feed your baby. I am always paranoid about over feeding my baby as well. When I look it up, I am surprised by how much they can in fact eat! Hope it helps for you as well.
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

Regarding this tidbit from the above mentioned pamplet:

"Switching From Bottle to Cup
    Introduce a cup of water, expressed breast milk or iron-fortified
    formula to your baby when you introduce solid foods at 6 months.
    At this age, cups arenít meant to replace breastfeeding or bottle
    feeding but add a little fluid at mealtime and allow your baby to
    practice drinking from a cup. It is recommended that bottles be
    stopped by about 12 months of age."

Sorry if I am a dummy, but I have never known if they are referring to a sippy (covered with a spout) cup, or a small open cup held by an adult. Can someone set me straight on this?

Also, no one has been able to get my 7 1/2 month old to take a bottle at all. She has been exclusively breastfed (and the solids that have been added at this point). Any suggestions? I will be heading back to work in a couple of months, and will continue to nurse her, but will also have to get hubby and nanny to supplement while I am at work.

For cups, I always just assumed they meant either or. I wouldn't go for an open cup as that will likely lead to a huge mess. I tried sippy cups with both my sons around that age. My oldest took to it no problem. My youngest takes maybe one sip, then chews it and then shakes it so all the water is everywhere. I don't want to put the valve in yet as he hasn't got the hang of it.
    As for weaning off BF, it can be tricky especially if you have never tried a bottle. My SIN exclusively BF and had to go straight to sippy cup because he refused the bottle. The sippy cup was also a challenge as he would not take much from it at 1st. I think this has been talked about in other posts, if not perhaps it would be a good topic for a new one. I wish I had more advice to give you in this area. I always included a bottle when I was BF, so the transition was never a problem for me. I hope yours goes well.
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Baby Mom
    I always included a bottle when I was BF, so the transition was never a problem for me. I hope yours goes well.
    Yes, this was the case with my first LO as well. I never seemed to get around to it with this one because she has been such an easy baby that I never really needed a break at all.
    We'll keep trying!