Default ds doesn't have a UTI and now I'm confused

I took ds (almost 5 months) to Emerg on Wednesday because he had the symptoms of a UTI. THey did a catheterized urine test and told me that yes, he did have an infection. So, we started antibiotics.

Thursday afternoon, the doc from emerg called and told me that the urine culture came back negative so he DOES NOT have a UTI and that I could stop the antibiotics.

I don't really get the science behind all of this. How could his urine test come back positive at the hospital but be fine 24 hours later?

Yesterday, ds was acting all fussy and wouldn't settle. Last night, he was up ALL NIGHT LONG. He wasn't upset or hungry. He was laughing and blowing bubbles at 10pm, 12am, 2am, 4am, 6am... He doesn't have a fever. Of course, he's in a deep sleep at the moment.

Do you think it's just a fluke that he was up all night? Normally, he sleeps 6-8 hours in a row, eats and then sleeps 2-3.

mama to 3

Banned

My guess is that when they took the urine out at the hospital they diagnose an infection by the appearance or a chemical property of the urine, so maybe it was cloudy or had some other property that suggested there was an infection. Then they would likely try to culture it, and after 24 hours you should see the bacteria growing and that would be your confirmation of an infection. And I guess they didn't see any growth.
    Is he teething possibly? Doesn't sound like it if he was happy though.
    Babies, eh? Just when you figure them out, they change.
    Hope you have a better night tonight!

Thanks! who knows what his issue was last night...
    mama to 3

Expert Forum User

DD has tested positive to every test but 2 I think in the 3 years they've been testing but very few in comparison grow when cultured. The test right away can show a few things that indicate infection from what they told me, red blood cells mean there is irritation, white blood cells usually make them think infection as well as nitrites I believe the dr said and I think there was one more thing? I have asked why they always tell there's an infection and then tell me there's not so they explained all this.
    Alicia
    Mommy to Summer, Avery, and Bentley

Administrator Site Admin

No idea why that would be but sorry you had a long night!! You should have been with us!
    Leslie

Quote Originally Posted by allie193 View Post
    DD has tested positive to every test but 2 I think in the 3 years they've been testing but very few in comparison grow when cultured. The test right away can show a few things that indicate infection from what they told me, red blood cells mean there is irritation, white blood cells usually make them think infection as well as nitrites I believe the dr said and I think there was one more thing? I have asked why they always tell there's an infection and then tell me there's not so they explained all this.
    Thanks- makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    No idea why that would be but sorry you had a long night!! You should have been with us!
    If I had known what a turkey he was going to be. I would have come.
    mama to 3