Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Can you make a fitted bed sheet?

I'm looking for a fitted bed sheet, made of anything but polyester. DH is insisting ds needs a NEW sheet, not used (?! this from the man who cringes and says "why does he need more than one present for his birthday, he's only turning one year older!") but neither of us are happy paying $40 for a set from sears that isn't exactly what we want anyway.

So I was wondering if anyone here has experience making a fitted sheet for a twin sized bed, and if so, if they'd make one for ds, and if so, what would that cost including fabric approximate cost and your labour, and then I'll send extra to cover shipping?

I'm looking for pretty much anything colourful and not babyish. So, it could be trains, trucks, cars, a character like Thomas or McQueen or Wall E or Mickey, or it could be stars and rocketships or it could be dinosaurs...whatever, just something he won't be 'too old for' in a year, and that isn't polyester. The only catch is you'd have to actually go buy the fabric, too, cos I am not in London.

Any takers?
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

are you anti walmart? cause I just got some great 100% cotton jersey sheet sets for a twin for 20$ - way cheaper than you'll find fabric for. They come in bright colours, and I opted for that instead of characters bc that way they won't grow out of them, and can be matched to cute blankets or something.

I got DS character pillow cases and pillows- they're cheaper (obviously), his bedding is just bright colours that can easily be interchangable when he moves on and likes something else we can just switch the pillows.

It's just that the bed comes this or next week and we have to drive almost three hours to get to a Walmart. We already went twice in the last month, and try to limit our car usage to necessity if possible. So not against Walmart, but not really looking to drive there kwim?
    I checked the Bargain Shop here, they have twin flat but not fitted, except an entire set of Batman but he has no clue what or who Batman is and I don't want a full set as we have no need for a comforter.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

the only solution i might have, is if you buy a regular sheet that you like and get a set of those suspenders for sheets. just snap one on each corner, I've found them at Giant tiger and the dollar store as well. even if you an old set of clips from suspenders or those things you attach gloves to coats with and use those.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Our master queen bed is odd, it is 2 mattresses on a frame. We just use regular flat sheets and tuck them under, since they are more narrow than a single fitted sheet.

agreed that walmart would be cheaper than actually buying the fabric, having someone sew, and then ship.

can ds wait a few weeks until your next trip to walmart and just sleep on a flat sheet?
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

lol he could but we only own crib sheets ( lots of them, since both kids are using crib mattresses) and one set of queen size sheets. Actually, I don't even know if we have the flat one that came in that set, cos I did consider just tucking that around for now. I suppose I could just tuck a thin blanket around til we get a cute set for him.
    Also his Birthday is the end of September so I considered just mentioning a set of sheets ot mil or someone, but then everyone *always* forgets he can't use polyester, so it's a gamble kwim.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11

if you send me measurements I could probably do one.

Expert Forum User

Expert Forum User

that one's 100% cotton

Expert Forum User