Default What are your thoughts on the FRO

I would like to know what your thoughts are about FRO(Family Responsibilities Office) and them taking the money off of your ex's pay cheque and right into your account?

I ask this because I have asked my ex if his employer(he is in the air force) would take the money right off his pay and deposit it into my account, and without even finding out he just flat out said no they won't do it that way. He is good about paying his support(has paid it on time every time), but I don't like accepting cheques from him(as he bounced one once on me, it was an honest mistake), so the only way he will do it is via email money transfer, but I have to pay for the email money transfer(he takes that off of the amount he pays me because it's what I want). Just wondering if maybe the FRO can get it from him and just deposit it into my account?
    Jen
    Jenuwyn - previously known as KnCmama

Default Re: What are your thoughts on the FRO

Quote Originally Posted by KnCmama
    ... without even finding out he just flat out said no they won't do it that way.
    Ummm, that is a flat out LIE. FRO will send a letter to his employer and there is no negotiation: if they receive the letter telling them to garnish his wages, they HAVE to. The letter to garnish is from the courts and they can't refuse.

Default Re: What are your thoughts on the FRO

Quote Originally Posted by momof4
    Quote Originally Posted by KnCmama
    ... without even finding out he just flat out said no they won't do it that way.
    Ummm, that is a flat out LIE. FRO will send a letter to his employer and there is no negotiation: if they receive the letter telling them to garnish his wages, they HAVE to. The letter to garnish is from the courts and they can't refuse.
    Thank you, I think I will contact the case worker at FRO and try to get that done.
    Jen
    Jenuwyn - previously known as KnCmama

fyi...an email money transfer only costs $1.50 and it comes out the senders account. i do it all the time.

If you are dealing with the same bank there might not even be a charge for money transfers. I know I had to help my brother out and it did not charge me to send it from my account at the Royal to his. Just FYI

Alright... sorry to highjack your thread... but I don't see the use in creating another one about FRO....

I recently had papers drawn up for a separation agreement, and completed the Minutes of Settlement. We had mutually agreed that we did not need FRO involved as the payments were going through nicely... this was 3 months ago though and things changed, he is now late with payments here and there... so long story short, I went down on Monday to pick up the papers from the court house and the judge that reveiwed all our paper work had ordered that it be sent to FRO.

Does all this happen on it's own or do I need to contact them? On my copy it says that he is to pay this much on these days to FRO... blah blah blah.... and so on. They don't allow payments to be made by the responsible parent do they? Or does it just automatically go to the employer??

Thanks again.....

Quote Originally Posted by Owen's Mommy
    Does all this happen on it's own or do I need to contact them? On my copy it says that he is to pay this much on these days to FRO... blah blah blah.... and so on. They don't allow payments to be made by the responsible parent do they? Or does it just automatically go to the employer??
    The courts will automatically send the paperwork/order to FRO on your behalf. You don't need to call them. I believe that as long as he regularily sends in his payments (or if they don't know where he is working ) then a garnishment is not necessary.

Thanks... but he has never sent in a payment to FRO.. I didn't even know that it was going to go to them... he always brings it directly to me.... and when I picked up the paper work this week it was dated for last month... is that enough for them to go to his employer?? I had no idea until Monday that anything should be going through FRO!

Hmmm, I'm not sure exactly what you mean. :? What paperwork? Is the support court-ordered? Does FRO have info of te order? If they do, you should not be accepting any payments from him, he should be directing them to FRO who will, in turn, submit them to you. He is required to give them the info. regarding his employer and they deal with it. I do know that not everyone who deals with FRO MUST have their pay garnished; some choose to because it is easier, others are cort ordered to do so, and some make payments.

Expert Forum User

When my court order was sent to FRO it took sometime to hear from them (over 3 months) and at that time they sent me a file number and the contact numbers, etc.

I did find that calling them and waiting on line (sometimes more than a 1/2 hr) to talk to an actual person was beneficial in getting answers to my questions and also moving things along and wished I had phoned them sooner. All in all, after filling out all the paper work from them (which they informed me I could have downloaded from their sight), it took from Feb 13th when the court order was issued till October 4th to receive a payment through them. But it now come regularly and I don't have to deal with the ex at all..... very nice.