Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone a Block Parent?

Is anyone here a Block Parent? I am looking into maybe becoming a Block Parent. What all does it entail to become one and be one?
    Jen
    Jenuwyn - previously known as KnCmama

Polly

I am a block parent co-ordinater. It's very simple - you contact the blockparent office in London on 519 661 5855 and tell them you want to become one. There may be a co-ordinater near you in which case they can handle the forms otherwise you'll have to come into London (by Adelaide and Oxford) and complete them. There's a police check to complete (which is free). Every person in your household over 12 years old has to apply. Once the police checks come back clear then you're good to go.

You have to have a front door that goes out onto the street, so if you live in an apartment building, it won't be suitable.

We definitely need more block parents, it's a very worthwhile idea and helps a lot of people - not just children.

Thanx Polly...

I got in touch with someone here in Woodstock to sign me up. I will be signing up after our move and we are settled in.
    Jen
    Jenuwyn - previously known as KnCmama

What exactly does a block parent do?...

Polly

http://www.blockparent.ca/

Basically, if you are a BP, you are a safe stranger. CHildren - and anybody who needs help - can knock on a door with the sign and know that the people inside are safe. However, a BP won't necessarily take you inside. They are there to provide backup and to call people to help - eg police, parents, etc.

This is the mandate:

"to provide a network of police-screened, easily recognizable, safe homes for members of the community, especially children, to turn to in times of distress;

to educate children about the Program, safety on the streets and safety within the home;

to develop promotions and materials to educate the community about the Program, latch key children and streetproofing; and

to work together with the police, educators and other community groups toward safer communities. "

it is a wonderful idea. And even if you work, you can still be a block parent. PM me for more details if you wants, or phone the number above.
    Last edited by Polly; 03-13-2008 at 03:12 PM.

mumtobelle

Thanks for starting this thread. I just called and they are sending out the paperwork tomorrow

Polly

THat's great! You can never have too many block parents!

I am a Block Parent as well. It is a great program for children. I have been with the Block Parent program for 4 years and have never had a child in need at my door.

Bumping this thread in honour of the Block Parents 40th Anniversary. If you're interested in becoming a block parent or have more questions feel free to call the office or pm me.

girlsmum

What about if someone like myself lives in a townhouse complex?? we have many young students from Brick St. school walk right past our townhouse but if I have to face a street, that might not work??...our unit is a big crescent, our row is next to the yard entrance to the school. What do you think??

I'm signing up.

Polly

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmum View Post
    What about if someone like myself lives in a townhouse complex?? we have many young students from Brick St. school walk right past our townhouse but if I have to face a street, that might not work??...our unit is a big crescent, our row is next to the yard entrance to the school. What do you think??
    Yes, that would work. Sign up! The only home that doesn't work would be an apartment that doesn't have a door onto the street.

girlsmum

The office is closed for the week, it's 2 p.m. now Friday so I've asked for a return call to have the paperwork sent out to me, they should be calling me on Monday morning.

That's great. Thanks. If you don't hear from Gail on Monday, I'm in the office from noon until 8:00 on Tuesday. If you call me I'll get it ready right then and there.
    Tara

girlsmum

Red face

Thanks, if I don't post that I've gotten a reply, will you just noodge me through a message other than my forum inbox as a reminder?? I'm sure I'll get a call but just want to be sure I get some paperwork sent along. Life has been super busy these days is all, need ppl to keep track of me, *embarass emote*

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast