Whitehills...Two blocks from my childhood home!

Default Freaking about a C section

Ok....I am freaking...I am getting the c section in a week....I am freaking....I hate pain, I hate surgery and I hate hospitals..There is a small chance this baby will flip and then I will go naturally, but doubtful that will happen. My DH is excited about this baby, and me...I am just scared. My hope is I go into labor early and then I dont have to think about the c section....I will be distracted by pain of contractions....

Just venting and freaking..AHHHHHH...
    I love my DH, but I want my mommy in there LOL...She was with me last summer when I was sick..Although they sent her out of the room when they put the needle into my lung to drain fluid and then a month later when they stuck a chest tube in me.....
    FREAKING

Expert Forum User

O.k so I've heard if you eat spicy food, or try running, it may bring on labour. This is what the Doc. told a co-worker of mine who was around 39 weeks, and at the end of her rope being pregnant and uncomfortable. You should call and ask your doctor about ideas that may help. It can't hurt.

Anyone else have suggestions???

Banned

I had a scheduled section for a breech with my first and it was a piece of cake! It's not like normal surgery - you will be awake and they will tell you what is going on, DH will be with you (I assume!) and at the end of it you will have a baby! Totally understand why you would freak after your other experiences, but I can almost guarantee that this will be a breeze.

mumtobelle

Both of my girls were c-sections and really the surgery is easy, especially if it's scheduled. I had mine after long labours that failed to prgoress. If there is a third baby, which I hightly doubt, it'll be a scheduled c-section. The worst part is the mobility issues afterwards and the catheter, not anything involved with the actual surgery itself.

You'll be okay

My Dh will be there of course. I wont rob him of meeting his child first...I just wish theyd let my mom in too. I am a momma girl....But DH will be enough for me. My mom and his mom will be waiting for the doctor to come tell them its all okay.

I just dont like surgery at all. I am hoping to go home as fast as I can....My mom will help me at home. DH has to work and can only take the day off for the C section....We need the money

Expert Forum User

It's normal for you to be scared but it really isn't too bad. I had an emergency c-section with Jack and I'm having a scheduled c section with baby #2 on August 20 and I didn't find the surgery bad at all and even the pain afterwards wasn't all that bad. I am also having major problems with my gall bladder and it is so much worse than the c section pains that I'm not worried about the c section whatsoever.

I think we worry about the unknown - so since you've never had a c section you will worry.

Fingers crossed that baby flips and you can have a vaginal birth!!

Formerly Jacksmommy
    Becky ~ Mom to two busy boys, Jack & Ben

~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind~
    ~Dr. Seuss~

Hame, you've got a breech baby? Me too! But at only 34 weeks, there's still hope...when did they detect you were breech? Did they not suggest ways of making the baby turn? What about an inversion with an OB? That's what my midwife was suggesting to me if the baby hasn't turned by week 37 or 38. I'm hoping the baby has already turned but will find out tomorrow.

I'm with you on the c-section fear, though!

Any of you c-section mamas can tell us how long the recovery period is?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

oh i hope that your baby flips. BUt like Becky says it really not that bad. We also had to have an emergency c-section with Benjamin.

I think the 1st 2 weeks were not the best for me. But after that i was able to do so much more and then about 1-1 1/2 months i felt so much better! It all depends on the mother and if you get an infection in the incision or not!

I know its scary i was so scared when i was getting mine dones but in the end all that matters is that your little one and your self are okay!

Good luck
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

They detected the breech baby at 37 weeks, and confirmed it again yesterday. They told me ways to try to make it flip, and I refused them turning it.

I just will wait and see. Tonight I am having some cramping pains, so maybe tonights the night. I am gonna go to bed early and see what comes

Banned

A c-section is not "that" bad I guess. It is scary, especially an emergency one so at least you have that advantage. It is also scary that you are awake wondering what's going on. But... the majority of people come out of it fine. I'm sort of more scared right now of giving birth because I have to do it myself rather than have it done for me.
    The recovery can be tough, mine took a good 6 weeks and truly, it took months to really feel like my old self again, but that could have been pregnancy and breastfeeding effects too.
    My advice, take all the pain relief you can, use a pillow to hold on it when you have to cough or turn over in bed. That is the worst part of it.
    Also, use the nurses as much as possible while you are in the hospital. Get them to get the baby for you and get your husband to do all diapers. I didn't even change a diaper for like 4 weeks!
    Good luck!

Banned

Personally, the recovery from my first vaginal birth was magnitudes worse than the recovery from my C-section. I felt fantastic afterwards (apart from throwing up - some kind of response to the anesthetic I think!) and I was out walking with the stroller about two days after I got home.
    I was offered an inversion with an OB but we couldn't even try for a number of reasons - cord round the neck, neck in a vulnerable position, big baby (9 lb 11oz).
    It will be fine.

Expert Forum User

A friend of mine had an emergency c-section with her first and had an awful experience so with her second they had booked the c-section and because it was scheduled she said it was a good experience.

Expert Forum User

I have heard that a scheduled c-section is nicer then an emergency c-section. With the scheduled one, everyone is more relaxed and things tend to go smoother.

I wish you all the best Hame. I can't wait to hear about your bundles arrival. Sending "Turn Baby Turn" vibes your way.

Just so you have some *hope* my ds was breech until about 36 1/2 weeks (born at 37 weeks). I had been to the DR's on the thursday or friday & they could tell he was still breech. On the saturday I had some MAJOR braxtons hicks (5 mins apart). I was so scared because my baby shower was planned for the next day, lol . Anyway he was born the following thursday early am. and he had flipped, I knew when it was when I thought back to the saturday before. Good luck the baby could still flip for you
    Sarah, Mommy to Lindsay October 8, 2003, Logan November 23, 2006 & Cohen September 18, 2010

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Hi,
    I can understand that you are scared and I think that feeling is very normal. My suggestions are that you do some research on the internet and ask your Dr. exactly what the procedure of a c/s looks like so that you have that information and know what is going to happen. Often it is the unknown that scares us the most.

The recovery period for a c/s is 6 weeks - meaning you cannot lift or resume regular activiities until this time. The bulk of the discomfort is usually felt in the first week and it gets better from there. Having good support in the postpartum period is very important for a c/s and having your mother there will be a real help for you.

Perhaps you can ask for your mom to be able to come into the recovery room after the c/s. As a doula I am not allowed in the OR if the partner is there (they limit support person to 1) but I am always allowed in the recovery room. I am sure it would be nice for you to see your mother immediately following the surgery.

I had a c/s with my 2nd birth because of a breech presentation and although I would never choose this option it was a very postive experience for me. What made the difference was having a care provider I trusted who walked me through the process and was very respectful of how different this birth was from my original plan of having a homebirth.

All the best for your birth and take a deep breath, trust and know that you give birth not only with your body but with your heart and soul and enjoy the birth of your baby. Let us know how it goes.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"