Thread: OB or midwife?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default OB or midwife?

which did you have? which do you prefer..and why?
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Expert Forum User

I would chose a midwife 100%.

I went to a couple of OB appts with my friend and I felt as if she was a number. She got there, got weighed, pee'ed in a cup and sat and waited FOREVER for her OB to see her. When she did finally see her OB she was in and out in under 5 minutes. Her OB was great though IMO.

My experience with a Midwife was AMAZING. Appts were 9/10 on time. There was no hurry at appts(easily your appt could be half an hour. There is no rush. They weigh you, have you check your urine, listen to the baby etc. All the things an OB would do. You have an option of what tests you want. You are not pressured. If there is a complication in your pregnancy they will refer you to an OB. Bringing your children along to appts is A-OK.
    When it comes time to deliver your Midwife is with you from start to finish.
    You CAN have an epidural if you want one.
    If you want to be under the care of a midwife you need to call and get on the waiting list as soon as you pee on a stick. They take back previous patients first and then fill the left over spaces with new patients.
    If I was to have another child I would definetly go the midwife route.
    If I have forgotten anything I'm sure the other ladies will add to this.

With my DD I had an OB because I was high risk...so I always will have to have an OB. I had Dr. Gagnon...I was originally sent to Dr. Kirbey, but I didn't want to deliver at Victoria, so I got switched to Dr. Gagnon. I honestly do not think that my DD would have made it to term had I kept Dr. Kirbey...after one appointment with Dr. Gagnon I was in surgery because he suspected that I might go into premature labour again so he stitched my cervix when I was 17 weeks...he found that I was 1.5cm dialated when he did the procedure.

April 14, 2001-May 05, 2001
    April 29, 2015

midwife... I used both last time and my midwife visits were a million times better.. no hassle parking, no huge waits, no residents who know nothing about you.. and with many women the option to choose your birth setting- that is huge!
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

Senior Member Madie&Logan's Mom's Avatar

My OB's were fabulous. I went to my family doctor (who I love!) for the first half of both pregnancies, then switched over to Dr. Richardson for my daughter and had Dr. Gratton for my son.

For me, I liked the quick appointments. I got what I wanted to know and find out etc. As much as they were quick appointments, I never felt rushed for any of them.
    ~Christine~

Mom to Madison Anne (5) and Logan Douglas (2)

Expert Forum User

I had an OB for my first baby, and a midwife for my second. I'd choose a midwife, hands-down, for the reasons already stated.
    formerly Kathy

Midwife. It is much more personalized, human care. They are highly skilled and extremely knowledgeable. They know who you are and care about you. You have the opportunity to discuss things and make WAY more informed choices. You can have a homebirth if you want. If you want an unmedicated birth your chances are significantly higher with a midwife.

I would never go back to an OB, if I have the choice.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Expert Forum User

If you want a midwife you have to get on thier list ASAP after finding out you're pregnant, they book up very quickly.

I used an OB with my first, and I enjoyed my experience. I'm using a midwife for this one (I'm currently 34 weeks) and it has been a very different experience. This time I'm the one who makes all the decisions where OBs have a set of things they usually do. You can always refuse things but my OB care was not as patient directed as my midwife care is.

I had an OB with my 2..I loved him. However I think he missed the boat missing Lilia's CHD. (long story..but basically they thought soemthing was wrong but when it turned out not to be what they thought the decided the first US was wrong..even though london said i should have a fetal echo..i trusted him when he sad i didnt need one...and i almost lost my daughter. I dont blame him..and I know it wont happen again as I know I will have fetal echo with every pregnancy now but still...)

i wonder if soemthing like that would be easier with a midwife or harder..kwim?
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Old East, in my garden. Behind the purple door.

Midwife. I have never been to an OB office while pregnant, but I liked the longer, more personal visits with the midwife.
    Lindsay
    YouSupporting You On Your Journey From Belly 2 Baby www.bellies2babies.com
    Emillia - Midwife Hospital Birth Jan 2006, Nursed 26 months.
    Terran - Midwife Home Waterbirth Aug 2008. Nursed 14 months.
    Ryker - Midwife Home Waterbirth April 2010. Yes, I am still nursing!