Default Need project ideas (for the knitters)

Hi Ladies -

I have a ton of scrap wool and no idea what to do with it.
    What do you do with yours?

I got a calendar with a different stitch/pattern for each day of the year. I'm planning to knit up some little squares with my leftovers (one for each stitch/pattern) and then sew them all together to make a blanket.

Expert Forum User

I donate scraps and leftovers to the church, school, hospital, daycare and anywhere else I think they might be able to use

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Headbands! I'm wearing one of made of scrap right now.

Knit squares into a blanket, or make little blankets for dolls, ooo, doll clothing. Finger puppets, pot holders, use the yarn for stuffing for little dolls/animals.

Tie it all together into one big ball and see what comes out.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

I've made a garter stitch shawl with leftovers. I cast on 150 stitches with a long circular needle (like a 6.5 mm), and each row I knit with a different yarn leaving the ends on each side long. Just knit to the end, cut, and tie on another yarn and knit to the end . . . I try to use different weights and fibres to get a real Bohemian look. Any beginner knitter can knit one of these. Knit until it's your desired width. Keep it skinny for a scarf, and wide for a shawl. Or keep on going and make a throw! I think I have a picture of one of them here.
    My musings about my children, my crafts and everything and anything else can be found on my blog.

Talking

corazenia -- your link didn't work and i am dying to see it!

i am a novice knitter (with very little clue as to what i am doing! lol!)too, and am looking for super easy ideas, too! my dds don't tend to give me much time for needlework, so big projects aren't really going to happen right now!

so, i am keeping an eye on this thread!

pickles

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by corazenia View Post
    I've made a garter stitch shawl with leftovers. I cast on 150 stitches with a long circular needle (like a 6.5 mm), and each row I knit with a different yarn leaving the ends on each side long. Just knit to the end, cut, and tie on another yarn and knit to the end . . . I try to use different weights and fibres to get a real Bohemian look. Any beginner knitter can knit one of these. Knit until it's your desired width. Keep it skinny for a scarf, and wide for a shawl. Or keep on going and make a throw! I think I have a picture of one of them here.
    omg have not read your blog in awhile, LOVE the little turtle that comes out of her shell! pattern?

the paintbrush with water outside is also a great idea. will use that one soon with dd1. might potentially keep her entertained for hours.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Quote Originally Posted by picklesandpb View Post
    corazenia -- your link didn't work and i am dying to see it!

i am a novice knitter (with very little clue as to what i am doing! lol!)too, and am looking for super easy ideas, too! my dds don't tend to give me much time for needlework, so big projects aren't really going to happen right now!

so, i am keeping an eye on this thread!

pickles
    Oh crapples! Sorry about that! Here it is, and if that doesn't work, copy and paste this - Balkan Style: Pralines and Moose Tracks

And thanks, Colleen! Let me find that turtle pattern for you - that was Thien who knit it. I have a feeling she got it from Knitty: Summer 2009 . You gots to love that site!
    My musings about my children, my crafts and everything and anything else can be found on my blog.

Expert Forum User

Squares for a big blanket, some plain, some striped - as long as they're fairly close in weight. Hoping to learn to crochet at some point, then I can just keep going round and round and round...
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys

Great ideas!!!
    ezzyandbelsmom - where did you get this calendar?

I also like the scarf idea... maybe I'll make one of those too..
    I have TONS of scrap lol