Thread: Hehehehe

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Hehehehe

Interesting way to "punish" your child..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070626/...TN1gI_Gw0uQE4F

LMAO!
    ~ Emmy's Mum

Oh that is sooo funny!!!

April 14, 2001-May 05, 2001
    April 29, 2015

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Wow... that's just bad parenting...

Ummm... yeah, not so much. The public humiliation is abusive IMO. And what's with the character defaming labels, like "I'm a liar." Calling our children names is wrong. Forcing them to call *themselves* names is really twisted.

Wonder what the therapy bills are gonna be to undo that mess...
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

I agree with Mamabear & Myrrah and this one, I don't see how publicly humiliating your child out of spite is good parenting. We all get fed up from time to time, that was a bit extreme IMO. It was funny until I thought about how stupid that must have made the daughter feel.

MBM
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

I agree that its a strange way of parenting.. but maybe its the kick in the pants the child needs to realize her behaviour is unacceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh
    I agree that its a strange way of parenting.. but maybe its the kick in the pants the child needs to realize her behaviour is unacceptable.
    I agree with you on that one. We don't know what all that mother tried, (or didn't try). Who are we to judge? For all we know, this little stunt may have straightened that kid out. My folks did some pretty weird punishments, but I am who I am today because of it. (And the therapy bills weren't that much... )
    ~ Emmy's Mum

Just thought of something else, what's the difference between having her daughter stand out at a street, wearing her punishment, and having your child grounded and stating when friends call, " So-and-so can't come out to play, they are grounded for doing...." I'd rather have been embarassed in front of strangers that I'd probably never see again, than my classmates that I saw everyday. Maybe if the mother had altered the sign, so as not to call her daughter a liar, would that have been better?
    ~ Emmy's Mum

if shes a liar, shes a liar. her mom made her own up to it. called her out on it.. probably the first honest thing the kid has said in awhile..

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh
    if shes a liar, shes a liar. her mom made her own up to it. called her out on it.. probably the first honest thing the kid has said in awhile..
    I hate when children are labeled like that. If a child is overweight should they be labeled "fat", if a child has a hard time in school should they be labeled "dumb"? Labels have the tendency to become self-fulfilling prophecies, especially in children. If a child lies, they lie, they aren't a "liar". I was labeled for behaviours as a child and I try everyday not to repeat my parents' mistakes but believe me, those labels do stick with you and they do hurt. It isn't just discipline but it is damaging to a child's self-esteem and sticks with you. IMO if she is wearing it on a sign she's probably hearing things like that about herself frequently, it wouldn't be the first time she's been "labeled" like that or called names like that. It is name calling.

IMO it is also a lot different than her friends being told she is grounded, especially considering it got media attn. There aren't reporters involved and news stories done when a child is grounded.
    Alicia
    Mommy to Summer, Avery, and Bentley

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

ITA with Allie. There is no one in the world who hasn't lied at some point in their life. But calling someone a liar is just going to encourage the behaviour and damage her self-esteem ("I can't help it; I'm just a liar") as if the public humiliation didn't do enough of that.

I totally agree with making your child make a public appology if their behavior in public negatively affected others. But I think that can be done in a respectful, non-humiliating way (and it sounds like this girl's offenses were mostly to her mother- not the general public). Seems pretty inappropriate to me.

Yeah, about the "liar" thing. I think it is really important to focus on behaviours, not children.

Because if you lied and that is not cool, then you can stop lying. But if you are a Liar, well that becomes too daunting of a thing to turn around, kwim? The whole child is labelled. And might as well just live up to the name, if the child experiences that it is too much to change into a non-Liar.

These labels can quickly become character assassination.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!