Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy I'm feeling sick... woman negligent in rape?

Hotel Claims Woman Raped In Garage Was Negligent -- Courant.com

***possibly triggering***

STAMFORD - A hotel being sued by a woman who was raped at gunpoint in its garage is claiming in court documents that the woman was careless, negligent and failed to exercise the proper care for her safety and the safety of her children, the Stamford Advocate reported.
    The claim was part of a list of special defenses the Stamford Marriott Hotel & Spa and the firms in charge of managing the hotel and parking garage filed in Stamford Superior Court in July, the Advocate reported. Defendants may file special defenses in civil suits to argue they are not responsible for damages even if the plaintiff's story is true.
    The woman filed the lawsuit, scheduled for trial in April 2010, in May 2008, six months after Gary Fricker, 56, of Danbury, was sentenced to 20 years in prison in a plea deal, the newspaper reported.
    Court documents state that on Oct. 10, 2006, Fricker put a handgun to the back of the woman, then 40, and forced her and her two children, then 3 and 5, into their minivan as they left the hotel, the Advocate reported.
    The woman allowed Fricker to go through her wallet and told him to take it, but Fricker demanded she take off her clothes. He then sexually assaulted her for several minutes while he pointed the gun at the children and threatened to sexually assault one of them. The attack stopped when another car pulled up and the woman screamed. Fricker fled and was arrested three days later in White Plains, N.Y.
    In the civil suit, the woman claims Fricker had been in the hotel and garage behaving suspiciously days before the attack and on the afternoon of the attack, but the hotel failed to notice him, apprehend him or force him to leave, the Stamford Advocate reported. The suit also claims that during the attack security personnel did not see Fricker or stop him.
    The hotel claims in their special defense that the hotel had not been notified about Fricker and that his acts were unforeseen and beyond their control, the newspaper reported.
    Copyright 2009, The Hartford Courant
    MonsterMom

Workout addict, ultimate procrasinator, English student and knitter.

Expert Forum User

OK, I don't understand really, why the hotel is being sued. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the hotel had any right to say that the woman was negligent, but I don't quite see how the hotel is totally at fault here!?!?! The guy got prison time, lots of it. Looks to me like she might just want some money now!
    Danielle
    Mom of 4

Quote Originally Posted by Youngmom View Post
    OK, I don't understand really, why the hotel is being sued. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the hotel had any right to say that the woman was negligent, but I don't quite see how the hotel is totally at fault here!?!?! The guy got prison time, lots of it. Looks to me like she might just want some money now!
    I'm kind of left wondering the same thing...

Social Media Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Youngmom View Post
    I agree...the story sickens me...raped with a gun pointed at her kids in the backseat, being threatened that he's going to secually assualt the kids too....jail is way too good for him in my opinion...but why is the hotel being sued? I find that part odd

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! PancakeMom's Avatar

Its the way in the USA. Its not my fault therefore someone must pay.

Everything I love is illegal, immoral or fattening.

Sounds like she's suing b/c he was hanging around in the parking lot being suspicious for a few days....therfore hotel security should've asked him to leave? maybe? I don't know....I'd be pissed right off...devestated...more so that my children had to watch ...I'd likely try to sue the hotel too!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Sounds like the Hotel should take some responsibility IMO if the hotel had cameras in their parking garage like most do. They would have seen this guy forcing the woman into her mini van, yk?

I see where the other posters are coming from, but if it was recorded, they should have done something- someone should have been watching the security feed yk?

This story made me think of another one though where the victim was blamed by her family. I missed it in the news but my mother happened to comment on it. This poor little girl was raped and then shunned by her family. This one really upset me (obviously it happened a few weeks ago and I am still thinking about it).

Family shuns girl, 8, after rape - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PancakeMom View Post
    Well, it is a more litigious society, but this isn't exactly true.

Civil suits are different than criminal suits. Remember the OJ trial? Despite the fact that he was found not guilty in a criminal court, the family was able to sue in civil court and were awarded a large settlement.

Unlike a criminal case, in which the central question is whether the offender is guilty of the crime, in a civil lawsuit, the question is whether an offender or a third party is responsible for the injuries suffered.
    Last edited by eversoclever; 08-14-2009 at 04:20 PM.

what an awful story. I'm glad he is going to rot in jail for a while. I agree with Leigh, the hotel is partially responsible IMO, because they failed to provide a safe environment for their patrons.
    Willow
    Mama of David (6) and Mary (2)

I dont' really care if the hotel is guilty of negligence or whatever - it's the victim blaming that gets me.

I was raped as a teen and I hid it out of fear of being blamed for it. It makes me sick when people say the victim is somehow responsible.

In this case there were witnesses to the guy hanging around the garage for days. But I don't know if the hotel is liable for getting rid of him - but like I said - I don't care. Saying it was her fault is just pure evil in my mind.

Of course, I'm quite biased.
    MonsterMom

Workout addict, ultimate procrasinator, English student and knitter.

Yeah, I am with MonterMom, my issue is with the victim blaming. It definitely perpetuates the notion that 'women ask for it', which is bogus and a misogynist view. News like this will also deter other victims of sexual assault from coming forward and going to court. Grrr....
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Agreed that the women should not be labelled as 'negligent' because it essentially blames her for what happened. I don't even understand how they can say that with what was said in the article. No one 'has that coming' ever.

Ana
    Expert Forum User

The hotel should have defended their actions (or failure to act) without blaming the woman. Thats just plain wrong.

Wow, blaming the woman is insane!

Quote Originally Posted by PancakeMom View Post
    Though I also don't get the sue-crazy society of the US. I understand they're different as eversoclever mentioned, but the civil suits often make no sense...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast