Expert Forum User

Default Getting rid of the soother

So I've decided that it was time for Liam to get rid of his infamous "suce". He's turning 3 next week and it's enough but I'm not sure how to go about it.
    I'm scared i'm going to traumatize the little guy

Expert Forum User

We had a nuk fairy that came. We left it out, in a gift bag she helped to decorate, and the next morning (or evening I think, since she went to daycare that day), she received a special doll in it's place. It was tricky for the first few days (we were both in the habit, even I was trying to grab it from the side table), and she was fine.

Good luck! The 'tricky' time won't last, now she doesn't believe me that she even had one (oh and we did it at the time she was in her new 'big girl' bed so she was already stressed lol - silly decision on our part
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mum 2 Alyssa View Post
    We had a nuk fairy that came. We left it out, in a gift bag she helped to decorate, and the next morning (or evening I think, since she went to daycare that day), she received a special doll in it's place. It was tricky for the first few days (we were both in the habit, even I was trying to grab it from the side table), and she was fine.

Good luck! The 'tricky' time won't last, now she doesn't believe me that she even had one (oh and we did it at the time she was in her new 'big girl' bed so she was already stressed lol - silly decision on our part
    I like the idea! Thank you so much

Expert Forum User

We tied the last couple to a helium balloon and let them go off to babies that need them.

Make sure you check the house for strays though - I would occasionally catch my youngest sucking on one he fished out from under the couch cushion (or somewhere) covered in cat hair and dust bunnies.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Those are great ideas ladies!! Sorry, I have no advice, just wanted to say good luck!!!

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Expert Forum User

We used the “soo soo“ fairy here too.
    Jack was 3 when the soo soo fairy came and he surprised the heck out of me and did very well.
    Ben turns two next week and still has his soo soo. I'm thinking we will let him keep it until he is 3 too. Both of my guys only use it in bed so I think it made it a bit easier since they didn't have it all the time.
    Good luck!!!

Formerly Jacksmommy
    Becky ~ Mom to two busy boys, Jack & Ben

~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind~
    ~Dr. Seuss~

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by gogomom View Post
    I would occasionally catch my youngest sucking on one he fished out from under the couch cushion (or somewhere) covered in cat hair and dust bunnies.
    lol!

Whitehills...Two blocks from my childhood home!

I got angry at Robbie one day when I was droping him off at Day Care he threw a fit over his sooter. He never got it anymore at Day Care. I came home took them all out of his room and that night he went to bed without it. We have him his water, and flashlight and his book, and he was okay!
    I know he still wants one occasionally because I caught him in the car mat rollled up sucking on Aidans!

Quote Originally Posted by Mum 2 Alyssa View Post

That sounds nice....but than make sure you throw them all out!! You don't want to give the suce to the fairy ...only to bring it back the next evening out of frustration...YK? Keep with it...each day gets easier!LOL

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by jenjar View Post
    That sounds nice....but than make sure you throw them all out!! You don't want to give the suce to the fairy ...only to bring it back the next evening out of frustration...YK? Keep with it...each day gets easier!LOL
    Haha, I meant reaching to grab for it when it USED to be on the side table. They were definitely gone for good (except one for her memory box ) DH and I are pretty good and sticking by our word
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

M put all of hers in a bag and we took them to the hospital for the babies. LOL The Nurse looked at me like I was crazy. I mouthed to throw them out!

B was down to ONE in his BED only. he took it out one day and he didnt put it back. when it was bed time he cried for it I told him I would look for it but couldnt make any promises. I found it and put it away. the 3rd night he didnt ask anymore.