M2M
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Question question for homeschoolers.

Say I needed to have Markus stay home from JK, but didnt want him to fall behind, what are the best things I could buy to make sure he will be okay next year?

or are there any Home schooling mamas near me, that I could pay to have markus come and participate? lol

Im so stuck.

Expert Forum User

You don't need to buy anything.

Nor do you really have to worry about him “falling behind“. JK is just an optional grade, for those who feel like participating in it, not something essential. Kids learn just as well out of it, naturally, as they may within it.

What he needs most at this age is simply involved and nurturing parenting, someone to answer his questions, freedom to explore his world, conversation, imaginitive play, etc. Reading together is very good too. (If you want to “get“ anything, a library card would be high on my list. ) Access to open-ended art supplies (blank paper, markers, etc.) is a big hit here too.

You may also want to cross-post your question in the “Homeschooling families“ forum (under Education). http://forum.londonmoms.ca/homeschooling-families/
    Last edited by Ceili; 08-11-2009 at 10:48 PM. Reason: Links are being wonky today
    formerly Kathy

M2M

So I dont need to go out and buy 10 billion dollars worth of stuff from scholars choice? He knows how to count to 15, but he doesnt know his alphabet sadly, well not all of it. He cant write anything, except an M.

I plan on working on this stuff. We are big on drawing and colouring here.

I just dont have the means to get him to school, or finding child care that can. And Im too poor for daycare.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mom2markus View Post
    So I dont need to go out and buy 10 billion dollars worth of stuff from scholars choice?
    Nope, not at all. The 'stuff of Life' is plenty.

Most provinces (and states, etc.) don't even have JK. Four years old is really quite early for school or worrying about academics, actually. Kids are learning tons at this age, but the most important things that they're learning doesn't necessarily look like “school“ stuff -- that stuff can come earlier or later, depending on the child, and is just as okay either way.

What kids this age need most, whether or not they happen to go to school, is simply to be a kid.

For ideas and reassurance, this webpage has lots of links and articles regarding preschool and kindergarten aged children: http://besthomeschooling.org/gateway/inted16.html

And remember, you've been teaching your son -- that is, nurturing him and helping him grow -- since the day he was born. The year he turns 4 (or 5, or 6) is no different; it's simply a continuation of the parenting that you've always done. So don't worry: you're already an expert at helping your child learn and grow. You and Markus will do great.
    Last edited by Ceili; 08-11-2009 at 10:31 PM. Reason: fixed link
    formerly Kathy

Expert Forum User

Oh, and as for the “academic“ type stuff, there are letters and writing and numbers/things to count/etc. all over in the real world. You don't have to buy specific products to help him learn about these things. You can be his guide aiding him in discovering these things without a bunch of specially-marketed products, just as you help him learn about other things in this world.
    formerly Kathy

M2M

Im just always hearing that he needs the socialization, and I dont want to end up depriving him of anything or any experiences because I got a job, and couldnt figure stuff out...

Expert Forum User

Yeah, I understand.

There are lots of ways for kids to socialize aside from school. The idea that kids who learn outside of school lack for “socialization“ (or that kids are better socialized by being in school) is just a myth.

Please feel welcome to pop over to the LMs homeschooling forum for reassurance and support. I fixed the link above. (For some reason, LM's auto-linking doesn't seem to be working quite properly.) Or just go to Education > Homeschooling families .
    formerly Kathy

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

can you get him into one of those ready set go programs or smart start or whatever they are called. it would give him some socialization and also help prepare him for school. other ideas for socialization is to put him in some spectrum classes they are fairly cheap and he can be around kids his age. the leapfrog company has some great videos for letter recognition, numbers etc... oh and there is also www.starfall.com
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Ana
    Expert Forum User

I'd also like to add that its a myth that preschool children “need“ to be socialized with 30 peers their own age. That somehow they miss out if they dont get this. They need to be socialized, for certain, but there is absolutely no evidence that the socialization they need is anything beyond their family structure. They will need to be socialized beyond that later, but not neccessarily in the preschool years and there is actually a lot of evidence to show the opposite it true - too much peer orientation at an early age can make them socially overdependent on their peers and so give them difficulty with interacting with people outside their peer group.

As for academics, if you are worried about keep him “caught up“ you can go to the Ministry of Education website and look at the requirements for junior kindergarten and aim to accomplish those things by the end of the school year.

Expert Forum User

As others said there isn't any set curriculum for JK and most things can be learned at home easily enough. The ontario curriculum is for JK/SK - students should know this by the end of SK. You can jump down to about page 36 to actual items to learn lol. http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curricu...indercurrb.pdf

If you search the internet for ideas there are plenty. “tracing letters“ will give u sites where u can print the alphabet for him to trace the letters or even trace his name.
    Type in “kindergarten lessons“ and you get a lot of ideas. Some sites make u pay - but if you can see their ideas you can just make them at home for free
    atozteacherstuff.com is a great site for lesson ideas.

William loves the Jumpstart computer games - You can get the kindergarten 3-d at walmart - or maybe at www.jumpstart.com. Its about $30 then you pay $8 a month for him to continue. It is a fun game, and they have to do educational reading/math to earn jewels to continue to next level - I rate it as very educational

The main thing I would suggest is getting a calendar. You can buy a nice one from scholarschoice for $25 (easier) - or make your own. Get a piece of chartpaper or a few pieces of paper and hang on wall with sunday-monday labelled and empty squares, then cut out squares of numbers - 1 is green, 2 is blue, 3 is green, 4 is blue, etc. On the first you help him put it on, then he figures out where the 2nd goes, then the third, he can look through the numbers to find 2 then tape on calendar, after a few days he can count each day (great way to count to 30), and do the pattern and guess which colour today will be (green or blue, or circle/square).
    He can say which day it is “Today is monday today is monday all day long, all day long, yesterday was sunday, tomorrow will be tuesday, all day long“. Sing the months of the year and days of the week each day.

He can sort items - have him sort laundry, silverware, make patterns-red/blue/red/blue, circle/square/circle/square, make graphs - like the weather for a month.
    Buy a cheap school book from walmart or staple blank pages together. Make an alphabet book - week 1 he traces Aa and then copies on own, then find something he can cut out of a magazine or grocery ad(apple) to glue in book, then focus on the sound it makes for the week. Each week do a new letter, but try to review old letters once a week. You can also do a number book - trace number 1, then draw 1 of something or cut out 1 of something.
    You don't have to buy an alphabet - each week as he learns a letter he can colour/decorate one printed from the computer (Aa) and then you can hang them around his room, same for numbers (you could do this instead of a number book).

You can also help him memorize ending sounds “at“, “an“, “et“ and look at words you can make with the endings. This is great with chalkboard, dryerase board, or magnetic letters, but can be done on paper.

He could also do a journal once a week. A cheap blank book from walmart(or a large sketch pad), he draws a picture of anything, or where he went yesterday - then help him label - to start you can label things for him, then he can label a picture of the park with an “s“ for slide, “m“ for himself, etc. as he gets better with words he can try to spell words “slid“ for slide, “prk“ for park, etc.

Mostly just practice, sometimes in the car/on a walk William and I ask each other adding/subtracting/multiplication questions. You can ask “how many cookies would we have if u have 1 and I have 1“, “u have 3 and I have 2“ help him use his hands or pennies or buttons to do it. Point out street signs and what they say, read cereal names on boxes, etc.

Wow, I typed a lot, lol. With recess, playtime, etc, most jk classes only have 1:30 hours of worktime each day so you don't need to worry about filling his day with work. I would suggest doing the calendar everyday and then 1 small writting/reading activity, math activity, cutting activity(craft) each day. Or math Monday, journal Tuesday, Math Wednesday, Science Thursday, etc.
    Last edited by melissawilliam; 08-15-2009 at 09:29 PM.

Totally agree with Kathy on this one...kids need to be kids at this age--there is no need to worry about academic stuff, he is three years old.
    I think there is way to much pressure on kids this young to learn their letters, numbers, counting, printing, etc. Come on, I didn't go to school until I was 5 or 6, and all I remember from kindergarten is nap time and painting.

There was something (free I think) in the Spectrum about a letter and number play class.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/