Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Breast-Feeding May Protect At-Risk Women From Breast Cancer

This is really significant research around family history of breast cancer and reducing the risk by breastfeeding.

Breast-Feeding May Protect At-Risk Women From Breast Cancer - Health News - Health.com
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process.” -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

Interesting article. TFS.

Expert Forum User

Score one more for breastfeeding!
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

Expert Forum User

Very interesting article, thanks for posting. I've heard of other studies in the past that have tried to link the two together. I'm curious as to the science behind WHY they think that it reduces the risk, especially being someone that has been affected by breast cancer of 3 close relatives. Always the skeptical scientist, I also agree with this:

Julia Smith, MD, the director of the Lynne Cohen High Risk Women's Clinic at New York University, says the study is “very interesting,” but not the final word on breast-feeding and breast cancer. “I think it's extremely hard to tease out this particular single variable, in that there are still confounding factors that weren't able to be isolated,” says Dr. Smith. “We can't be sure it's really the breast-feeding in that quantity that reduces the risk.
    There are so many other variables when they do these types of studies and it's almost impossible to isolate them. I always take more notice of experiments at the cellular level,where they can control the variables and focus on the cause.

ETA: I'm NOT trying to downplay that this could be extremely positive news, just playing the devil's advocate!
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Ana
    Expert Forum User

There have been many studies of this sort and they all show the same thing. Breastfeeding protects women against breast cancer:

Breastfeeding and Reduced Risk of Breast Cancer in an Icelandic Cohort Study -- Tryggvadóttir et al. 154 (1): 37 -- American Journal of Epidemiology

Review: breastfeeding is associated with reduced risk of breast cancer -- Bordeleau 8 (2): 63 -- Evidence-Based Medicine (this one isnt available in full unless you are a doctor, but findings were reported in this CNN article: CNN.com - Study: Breast-feeding lowers cancer risk - July 18, 2002 )

Furberg H, Newman B, Moorman P, et al. Lactation and breast cancer risk. International Journal of Epidemiology. 1999; 28: 396-402.

NEJM -- Lactation and a Reduced Risk of Premenopausal Breast Cancer

Most impressive of all, a HUGE collection of resources compiled on the subject by La Leche League:

LLLI | Selected Bibliography: Breastfeeding and Breast Cancer

I am not sure why the original article posted implied this is new information, or questionable in any way. Breastfeeding has been shown again and again to be a protective of breast cancer.

Expert Forum User

I have seen the previous studies; I was under the impression (mistakenly) that this was new research that backed up previous findings.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

Yeah, I've heard that for a while. I assumed new reseach backing up previous findings also.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Mum 2 Alyssa View Post
    I always take more notice of experiments at the cellular level,where they can control the variables and focus on the cause.
    Is this what you mean by cellular level?

Breast cancer, lactation history, and serum organo...[Am J Epidemiol. 2000] - PubMed Result

The anticarcinogenic conjugated fatty acid, 9c, 11...[J Hum Lact. 1998] - PubMed Result

Carotenoids of human colostrum. [Lipids. 1990] - PubMed Result

And for curiosity's sake, an interesting cellular theory: The potential for oxytocin (OT) to prevent breast ...[Breast Cancer Res Treat. 1995] - PubMed Result

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Sorry to hijack, DoulaMom. Since I have two primary relatives who had had breast cancer, (mother and sister)this is a subject near and dear to my heart. I really detest the way most medical folks that I come across, including ones who work in breast cancer screening, really downplay the protective ability of breastfeeding (especially long term breastfeeding) as though the research is absent or inconclusive. Which it is most emphatically not.
    Last edited by Ana; 08-11-2009 at 02:47 PM.

Banned

That research means a lot to me Thank you

A couple of reasons it is different then previous research is that it more clearly demonstrates the reduced risk for women who have a family history (not so much for the general population) and more importantly for this reason....

Some research has suggested that breast-feeding protects against cancer, but those are typically studies in which breast cancer patients and healthy women are asked to recall their behavior years or even decades in the past, Dr. Stuebe notes. These types of studies can be flawed due to “recall bias”—meaning that they rely on people's sometimes faulty memory, she explains.
    In the current study, Dr. Stuebe and her team avoided recall bias by following 60,075 women in the Nurses' Health Study II over the course of nine years. In 1997, the women filled out a questionnaire about whether they had breast-fed each of their first four children, for how long, and whether they had used any lactation-suppressing medications. The researchers then followed them until 2005, during which time 608 were diagnosed with breast cancer.

- Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process.” -Jan Fortune Wood"

Oh and Hecate - no problem on the hijack. It is all on topic and I am not tied to my threads sticking to topic regardless.

- Henry David Thoreau

"

Ana
    Expert Forum User

crossposted - oops

Banned

She means experiments in which cells or cell lines derived from patients with breast cancer, and similar cells and cell lines from normal controls, are treated with different compounds and the effect on cell growth or cell signaling are examined.

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mum_of_four View Post
    She means experiments in which cells or cell lines derived from patients with breast cancer, and similar cells and cell lines from normal controls, are treated with different compounds and the effect on cell growth or cell signaling are examined.
    HA! Were any of those links studies that did that? I wouldnt even know how to tell for sure...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast