Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default "Natural" Henna tattoos can cause permanent scarri

Never thought of this -- yikes!

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/vanities/henna.asp

oh my that sucks!
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

Yikes! That is scary!

The fact you also checked in on snopes (which I always check when I get these warnings) is reassuring.

I used to get henna with no reaction (thank goodness) but I'm glad to know for me and my child next time!

Expert Forum User

I couldn't even imagine! I would be devastated if I could never dye my hair anymore because of a henna tattoo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper's Mom
    I couldn't even imagine! I would be devastated if I could never dye my hair anymore because of a henna tattoo.
    the bigger issue IMO is the allergies to certain medications... that could be very dangerous.. I have allergies to sulpha, paba in sunscreen and some of the other things mentioned..

thanks for the link/ warning... very good to know
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

Zoo

Yeah, I'm not into random hysteria or anything. And I think we all *expect* the possibility of bad reactions with drugs. This is one of those things that seems harmless, and if my kids went 'oh mom, let's get henna tattoos, they wear off,' I'd remember how cool Leslie's belly looked last summer and probably think 'what's the harm?'

I guess if you make sure it's pure henna, it's still safe. But how do you know for sure, kwim?

Expert Forum User

I was in an Indian wedding party and all the girls were invited to a Mendhi night where we had henna put on our hands and/or feet. I really didn't want it done, but because it was my bestfriend's wedding and she really wanted all of us to do it, I thought what the heck. The henna that the woman used was NOT black henna but the stuff that went on kinda brownish green. I was told to keep it on for about an hour then wash it off. I was also told the longer that I was to leave the paste on, the longer the pattern would last. I left mine on for just under an hour then I took it off. The woman told me that it would last 3 or 4 days. This was fine by me. I saw a couple of the other girls about a week later and their henna was completely gone, mine still as strong as day one. For mine to fade to a point that you could barely see it, took about 3 weeks. For it to be totally gone, about a month. So, if you are ever planning on having it done, make sure you really like it and don't mind having it on way longer than what you are told.

i had it done at the fair about 4-5 years ago and it wasnt black either. It lasted about 2-3 weeks! It was fine by me i knew that it would last at least that long!
    I dont see the point of even adding anything to make it black!!!!
    Just leave it 100% that is how it should be!
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

Expert Forum User

Thanks for posting this Zoo, but damn I'm sad. I was looking forward to hitting sunfest and getting a nice big cool one like Leslie had! Oh well.........health comes first.

Hey guess I'll just have to give the crayola erasables (for tots) to the hubby and let him go nuts with drawing some type of belly art. But don't expect to see me post that one!

Thanks again Zoo

Sandy

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Sandyk
    Thanks for posting this Zoo, but damn I'm sad. I was looking forward to hitting sunfest and getting a nice big cool one like Leslie had! Oh well.........health comes first.

Hey guess I'll just have to give the crayola erasables (for tots) to the hubby and let him go nuts with drawing some type of belly art. But don't expect to see me post that one!

Thanks again Zoo

Sandy
    Now that is something that I would like to see! Last time I was preggo my neice "decorated" the baby with my makeup. Not quite as nice as henna but very original!

Banned

Wow kinda scary.
    Last year at sunfest I got a small henna tatoo on my arm and Brookyn got one on her arm too. I just assumed it was safe. It was the green henna so I am sure we are fine. I am so glad Brookyn did not have a reaction

I've seen moms get their tummies painted with tempra paint! That's a cute, non-permanent alternative!

Natural/pure henna can take up to half a day to cure (i.e. if one wants it to last as long as possible), so needless to say, it's no wonder PPD containing black henna is more popular here.
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley