Default catholic elementary schools recommendations?

Hi there,

We just moved to London a few months ago, and I just found out recently we'll be here for another year (maybe more), so I need to find an elementary school for my son to start SK in Sept, I was interested in a Catholic school and was hoping for any feedback please on ones that are great and ones that are not so great. It doesn't matter their locations as we also have to find another apartment to live in? So alot to do before the school year starts soon!

Ideally I was looking for schools around St Joseph's Hospital, as that's where my husband is working (but we're open to anywhere). So in that area I came across
    - St Michaels, St Thomas, Notre Dame, St Paul, St Margaret, St Catherine, Blessed Kateri, St Martin, Catholic central.
    Also my husband was interested in French Immersion, so I noticed there was St John.

I appreciate any feedback,
    thanks so much
    ~ Diana

in london where you go depends on where you live. so you'll need to contact the catholic school board and they will let what school that the children in your area go to, or what school options that you have.

Expert Forum User

Diana, Welcome!
    First I would honestly urge you to contact the Catholic School Board and see what school are in your boundry. They have had to strengthn down where you're allowed to send your children and if you are in that boundry. Here is their contact info;
    London District Catholic School Board
    Catholic Education Centre
    5200 Wellington Road South, London, ON N6E 3X8
    Telephone : 519-663-2088

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

what she said, you have to find out what school is within 'your' boundaries. i have no clue what schools are around your area. good luck.

Thanks for all the feedback, however we currently need to find another apartment to live in, so we are not restricted by finding a school within a boundary, as once we find some schools we like we will then find an apartment in that boundary.
    Any recommendations are very helpful, as we just moved to London a few months ago.
    Thanks,

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I really liked blessed sacrment

the jk/sk teacher was awesome!
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

my DD will be attending St. John FI in September. She is only in JK so I don't have too much feedback yet. What I do know is that that they have been very welcoming and informative!

Expert Forum User

If you are considering outside of London, my boys go/will go to Holy Family Catholic French Immersion in Woodstock

Expert Forum User

One of my bff's kids (three of them - one special needs), and one of my nieces (all three until two went to a performing school) go to Blessed Kateri and they LOVE it.

I'm in awe at the turnouts and dollars raised by the school community at fundraising time.
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

My 3 (one will start in JK this fall) are at St. Paul and I love it, love it, love it! It is a great school, with great teachers, and awesome principal and is well taken care of. The school community is great too! I am on the School Council and the Healthy School Committee and love being involved with it all. It really is a great school! I live in Hyde Park area - the school is on Guildwood (behind Oxford and Hyde Park Rd) -- the boundaries stretch pretty far in that area. It is also close to St. Thomas Aquanis HS for later. The school is connected to Holy Family Church on Valetta, along with a few other schools in the area too... Hope that helps some!

Expert Forum User

my son will be going to st george in byron this year... i have no expeirence yet but i have heard wonderful things and was impressed at our info night. you can view all the schools and their stats on the catholic school board website if that will help?
    welcome and good luck!

Administrator Site Admin

Notre Dame, St Catherine of Siena or Blessed Kateri
    Leslie

Quote Originally Posted by angela View Post
    you can view all the schools and their stats on the catholic school board website if that will help?
    welcome and good luck!
    I beg you not to consider a school based only on their “stats“ or QECO scores. So many of these standardised tests are heavily biased and do not reflect how “good“ the school really is.

I would do what you are doing - talk to local families. Also if you know someone who is involved with a children's agency that goes into multiple schools, they will definitely have great input.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Stayathome View Post
    I beg you not to consider a school based only on their “stats“ or QECO scores. So many of these standardised tests are heavily biased and do not reflect how “good“ the school really is.

I would do what you are doing - talk to local families. Also if you know someone who is involved with a children's agency that goes into multiple schools, they will definitely have great input.
    true but it also has general info about the school such as number of students per teacher etc, bus info, activites etc!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    Notre Dame, St Catherine of Siena or Blessed Kateri
    I totally agree with these suggestions. It's better to stay to the North West than the North East IMO.