Question tips to help new mums RELAX and sleep

Hi ladies - hoping for some wisdom from those more experienced..

So my newborn Charlie is a pretty good sleeper most of the time. The problem is me. He's 19 days old and I try to sleep when he sleeps but I find it hard to relax - especially during the night. Either my mind races or I lay awake waiting to hear him fuss or cry. Argh! Does this pass? I know I probably won't sleep as deeply as before baby but falling asleep is sometimes such a struggle, despite being tired.

Any tips for how to help me chill out and sleep?

Thanks in advance!

Expert Forum User

The intensity of it will pass.

If you need to peek in on him to be reassured then do it.

Before you lay down tell yourself how happy/comfy/safe he is.
    moving sucks

Expert Forum User

I was the same. I laid awake in anticipation of what was to come. Maybe have a bath before bed and try to wind down a bit. Sleep eventually comes because you get so tired that you need to rest. Good luck.

Expert Forum User

When you can, have someone look after him & nap. That way they can listen for him & you can conk out entirely.
    I also have a baby monitor that goes beside my bed, that way I am sure I won't miss her.
    It really does pass the older he gets.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Expert Forum User

I found myself sleeping, but still awake for a long time, if that makes any sense. For me, the only thing that works if having them wherever I am when they are small. If I'm in front the tv, I have them sleeping in a basinette, or wherever, right beside me. Then I doze off until they wake again. Moniters never work for me, I am forever putting the thing to my ear, not sure if it's working, then end up going to check anyway lol.

Thanks! - I knew I could count on LM to help me see I'm not crazy.

We tried co-sleeping as well as a bassinet in our room beside the bed. It's fine for naps but in the night he seems to sleep more soundly in his crib. I have a good monitor and I'm learning to trust it - plus his room is so close I can hear him without the monitor - lol.

I usually go to sleep early with my hubby spending time with Charlie. A warm bath is a good idea.

Glad to hear this is a new mum phase and that my neurosis will fade as he gets older.

I was horrible with dd. I just couldn't relax. Dh would spend time on the couch with the monitor and that helped. Just knowing that he was listening to her was enough for me to get a little bit of a deep sleep.

Also, a beer in the evening worked like a charm.
    mama to 3

I was the exact same way with my first. Actually developed a bad case of insomnia b/c I was so overtired. You can buy this stuff called Rescue Remedy. I think they sell it in the “natural“ section at the Superstore. It will not make you sleep, but acts as a relaxer. Just put a couple of drops on your tongue and then try to sleep. It does not make it hard for you to wake up or anything b/c it is not a sleeping pill...so don't worry about that.

DJC

The best thing that helps me sleep is when I go to bed early, and have my DH take the monitors. I can trust him that he will wake me to feed the baby when needed, but that someone else is listening for them.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

This will get much better as babe gets older! I totally remember Matthew newborn fog. lol ! You're SOOO tired, but just can't relax and sleep!

Maybe a warm cup of milk, a cup of tea might help settle you enough to get some sleep?