Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default expressing milk for baby cereal

I'm getting ready to feed DS solids in a few weeks, and being the sort of person I am, I'm reading up on it. So, it seems the best thing to mix first cereals with is expressed breast milk or formula.

here's the rub. I exclusively breastfeed, and am not much of a fan of pumping. I have pumped twice, hated it, and given up. I don't see the point really, since I'm home with him all the time... I might give him formula some time for a special occasion, but so far these have all taken care of themselves with no bottle necessary (DS slept through each time I went out). That's a bit of a tangent... but here's my question:

do you think it's important enough to pump breastmilk for his first cereals, given that I hate pumping... should I use formula for this... or is plain ol' tap water good enough for getting him started down the path of solids?

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but cereal i thought was more for formula babies who moved to food and needed iron

if you're still bfeeding baby is getting your iron...

i'm skipping the cereal with this one and we started on sweet potatoes and avacado this week.

but, to answer your question, with dd1 i used tap water as i was no longer bfeeding
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

I used tap water. I EBF DS and he never took a bottle so I didn't see I point to pump for 2 tbls of milk.

I used tap water. I also gave oatmeal cereal (DS still eats it every morning), as rice cereal is a pretty “empty“ calorie. Just my two cents though

Expert Forum User

i recall starting to try EBM with cereals and then remembered that i was SO DONE pumping. so then i just used up some frozen EBM that was left and went to tap water.

i didn't use rice cereal either....went right to oatmeal.

i just realized i'm going to be doing the solids thing soon....how does it go so fast??!
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    I've always understood that babies have their own iron stores and do not get iron through BM. Cereals have iron in them. Since the govn't stop recommending cereals as a first food the suggested introducing meat first because of the high iron content.

Just add water. There is no reason to add milk and it's just a PITA. Careful which cereal you choose. Some, especially the just add water ones, already have formula in them.

I'm with you - I can't stand pumping. In 11 months I've pumped maybe three times. We started cereal at six months and I used water.

DJC

Just hand express some into the bowl if you want to add some breastmilk. I agree, pumping sucks and I did it maybe twice

i'm learning stuff here... that's the trouble with doing research, there's so much information out there, it's hard to sift through. so some of you are skipping the cereal and going straight to oatmeal? I think I'll just be varying the cereals - rice, oats, barley, then wheat... and in between introducing vegetables and fruit. I'm kind of looking forward to it, my little guy is soooo interested in what's going on at the table.

I've done lots of research too, and it makes decisions so difficult!! I attended a “starting solids“ information class and they advise to start introducing fruits first, then veggies, then meat, and lastly, grains (i.e. oatmeal, wheat, rice). Rice is very difficult to digest, and my LO barfed everytime I gave it, because he simply wasn't digesting it. Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    someone correct me if i'm wrong, but cereal i thought was more for formula babies who moved to food and needed iron

i'm skipping the cereal with this one and we started on sweet potatoes and avacado this week.
    I agree with Colleen on the iron - the handout the paediatrician gave me says that iron in BM is insufficient at around 7 to 9 months so at 6 months you're just trying to teach them to eat and they're still getting their iron from your milk.

I also skipped the cereal and went straight to sweet potatoes and avocado after reading some threads on here and The Baby Book by Dr. Sears that said that rice cereal can cause constipation.

I just add water to my sweet potatoes when I make them (that's all that's in the jarred organic products that I've used, as well).

there are two of you starting on sweet potato and avocado. are you reading the same list for starter vegetables/fruits?

I started with avocado instead of cereal. Later we did cereal, but avocado is a great first food.
    Wholesomebabyfood.com has some great info on introductions!

There are some cereals that are “only add water“ -- they have powdered milk in them. We weren't able to use them because of DS's intolerances. We used the “add breastmilk or formula“ ones. I pumped for when I was out, so I would pump extra for the cereal. Once I was back to work though it was hard to get enough pumped for the bottles he needed while I was at work as well as extra for cereal, so I started mixing it with formula (only because he couldn't have the `only add water` ones, or I would have used those and just used water)

Really, cereal can be skipped. It is a practice food and not high in nutrients. It is just to get them used to eating off a spoon really.

If you wanted to start with avocados and then move on to bananas or peas or something that is fine too!

Now, at age 1 my DS gets 2 pieces of toast (with lactose free butter) plus he still gets some cereal to fill him up every morning. I still mix it with formula.
    Michelle

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by rootedngrounded View Post
    there are two of you starting on sweet potato and avocado. are you reading the same list for starter vegetables/fruits?
    someone i know started their baby on avacado for the high fat content, and we happen to have some so that was what she got first.

sweet potatoes i just happen to pick up at the grocery store...

today she had a bit of sweet potato and green beans for dinner. i can't say she really liked either, but it went down. mind you she's not eating much. i just think food is better than formula. she had maybe 3 teaspoons today? and i'm only starting at dinner time, not every meal.

i haven't read any books on starting food, i've just read a lot on here and talked to some crunchy mamas.

dd2 is only 4.5 months.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

I started my LO on rice cereal with tap water, but he wouldn't eat it. Then I tried adding breastmilk instead, and he lapped it right up.

His first food after cereal was avocado (he is a skinny kid, so I was trying to fatten him up). He didn't like it so much at first either, so I had to add breastmilk to that as well for a while.

So for the first month or so, most of his food had a bit of breastmilk mixed in because that's the only way he would eat it.

I think adding breastmilk just helps give it a familiar taste. If you can avoid doing that, great - but if your babe doesn't like the taste of first foods, he/she might be more likely to eat if there was breastmilk in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast