Expert Forum User

Angry Does Dr Newman Actually Read Emails?

Or does he send a generic email in response?

I posted in special needs about DS's appt with the GI Dr, DS has an eosinophilic disorder and needs to go an elemental diet to reduce irritation in his digestive system (essentially clearing the eosinophils out from what I understand, the more he reacts to food proteins the more there will be so remove all allergens and they should go down in numbers) and then I can try re-introducing breastmilk at that time or start solids very slowly b/c he'll be six months old and if he reacts we'll know what exactly is causing it instead of not being sure what it is since it could be something I've eaten. Once we figure out what he reacts to through solids if he will still take the breast I can limit myself to the safe foods and breastfeed again. After the guessing game we went through with DD and her allergies this sounds like the best idea.

The dr's don't want DS to lose the benefits of bf'ing, particularly for kids with allergies so the ped suggested I email Dr Newman. The website says to be brief and they will ask for more information if they need it. I was very brief, titled it "breastfeeding an infant with an eosinophilic disorder" so it would be obvious what I'm looking for and my first line was that I have been exclusively breastfeeding since we came home from the hospital but that DS is having all the symptoms he does and reacts to multiple foods through my milk, has stopped gaining weight, has saggy skin, etc, and I get a reply that tells me that bottles are not the solution and that I need to get rid of bottles and start DS on solids. He sent a script for dom!!!! What email did he read? I have NOT had a supply issue, for awhile my pump and I weren't getting along so I had a hard time pumping when needed but we got past that and I have about 100oz in the freezer as we speak! Until two days ago DS hadn't had any formula since he was a newborn, he so rarely had bottles (only if I was in an appt and he got hungry but it was ebm) I was worried he wouldn't take one and he did fight it but not too hard. I said he needs an elemental diet and needs the formula but I'm wondering if there is any other way to deal with this since if there is he is the one that should know, right?

The only thing he got right was that I said DS's gut needs to heal and he reminds me that DS probably won't take the breast after that. I know that is a very big risk and I have done more than a lot of ppl would ever do to bf this long but it's not working anymore, he is still reacting to everything and isn't absorbing nutrients from my milk. The LAST thing I should be doing while DS is like this is intro'ing solids b/c while he is like this he will keep reacting to things, I have BTDT with DD and I don't want to risk him getting as sick as she did.

I sent a reply with more information yesterday and haven't received a reply so he probably thinks I'm making excuses or something but I am so frustrated and upset. My guess is that he doesn't know what eosinophilic disorders are since that's a fairly new diagnosis but I specifically asked if he had worked with patients dealing with them or if he knew of a way for me to be able to continue to bf and he didn't even acknowledge anything about them.
    Alicia
    Mommy to Summer, Avery, and Bentley

Expert Forum User

I did receive a personalized response from him back in Jan 2008... he even offered to call my surgeon and speak to them on my behalf. My email though was probably one he receives fairly regularly (BFing immediately after anesthesia) I have no suggestions on your situation though, sorry. I think you did the right thing though by providing more information.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

from the sounds of it I would think he must of accidently replied to the wrong email or soemthing.

He responded to mine (had issues with pumping while lilia was in CCU) and i was talking about her health stuff and he repsonded and asked more questions so it was obvious he did read it. this was 3 years ago though.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

I had a personalized response a few years ago.
    mama to 3

Expert Forum User

I'm glad he actually read other ppl's emails, too bad he didn't mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivveyy View Post
    from the sounds of it I would think he must of accidently replied to the wrong email or soemthing.

He responded to mine (had issues with pumping while lilia was in CCU) and i was talking about her health stuff and he repsonded and asked more questions so it was obvious he did read it. this was 3 years ago though.
    It was a reply to my email b/c he does respond to one line saying if I give formula to heal his gut then that means I am stopping bf'ing, (b/c I was unaware of that ) and probably won't be able to again later (gee, thanks for the reminder, that's why I'm emailing for help!). But if he had actually paid attention to all of it and knew what these disorders are he'd know that continuing to bf and just adding solids will not cause DS to gain weight and is the worst thing I could do right now. And if he didn't come to the conclusion by actually reading my email then he needs to look up eosinophilic disorders.
    Alicia

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

i hear he's been swamped lately, the word has gotten out about him

try again or call where he works.

he sent me a dom script but that was what i wanted.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

Honestly, I felt that I rec'd a generic email when I contacted him 3 years ago.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post

he sent me a dom script but that was what i wanted.
    Same here. I got a response, but it was a pretty common issue of low supply. Hope you get a better response this time!

Expert Forum User

Still no reply to my email with more information from him. I give up, he must not have a clue what I'm talking about based on his response anyway but he should certainly be sure he knows what he's dealing with when replying b/c if I followed his advice and starting DS on solids I would be making things so much worse. If he didn't know what eosinophilic disorders are then he should have looked into it before replying.
    Alicia

I know a LC in London that is fantastic!! She has helped me so much! Her name is Carol and she currently works at Holistic Baby. She is leaving there at the end of august, but if you PM me I can get you in touch with her. She works based on Newmans principles and is AMAZING!!! She is so much better than any of the LC's at the hospital, and I think I met all of the ones at Joes when LO was in the NICU.

...she's worked with a whole bunch of new moms that I know as well. She's been doing it for 20 years and is very knowledgeable in the area. My SIL tried to discuss her BF issues with Dr. Newman (she lives in Kingston) and never had any luck. Carol has kept a lot of us BF much longer than we would have had we not found her.

I would be tempted to make an appointment at Newmans Clinic. Get all the info out there, in person. He is coming to Vesta in October...but you probably don't want to wait that long!
    Shawn
    Vesta Chick & Mompreneur Extrodinaire
    www.vestaparenting.ca
    Join the Vesta Parenting or Vesta Shop facebook page, it's mighty good