Expert Forum User

Default Going camping (I think!) - Info on Port Burwell or Pinery??

So, we've decided that we should attempt camping with our 2 year old. I have been reading another post recently but wanted to know if someone had specific information on Port Burwell or the Pinery?? I want a park with access to the beach and would love to know if you would recommend particular campgrounds within the park, any actual campsites etc. We want something with at least partial shade, walking distance to beach, and only have a tent so don't need a large or electrical site. I was looking online but there are so many! Does Pinery have a beach that is just for campers or would we go to the day beach? Any ideas, suggestions and comments would be MUCHLY appreciated! (We will be going either next week or the week after for one night in the middle of hte week)
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

Port Burwell is too far to walk to beach in my opinion... you would have to drive.... the sand is nice... and the provincial park itself does have lots of activities and a playground for the kids.

Pinery has no playground for kids... and I believe you have to drive to beach there too...

I find port Burwell more private in their sites and usually lots of shade or so we have found.
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

The Pinery is nice, can be a bit busy for my liking but none the less, it's close and it does have a beach that you can walk to. One thing to know about camping right now that I didn't realize until recently is that it is tick season apparently. My sister actually just got back from the Pinery last weekend and had to pull two ticks out of each of her children. I suspect this isn't just a Pinery thing but I thought I'd make mention of it, as it is something to watch for or rather to be prepared for if you do go camping.

Expert Forum User

I love port burwell. We went there every year as a kid. They do have tons of kids stuff and a great playground. The sites are nice too. I haven't been to pinery though. I don't mind having to drive to the beach, with little kids we don't spend that much time there anyways.

you need to book a site - the good ones are gone 5 months in advance at the pinery.

http://www.camis.com/OP/default.asp

But if you find a less trodden site, you can still get a site. We're hitting Point Farms thi summer. Can't wait!
    K
    Mom of two sweeties

Expert Forum User

Thanks for the replies so far ladies! I love that I can connect with so many people online and get quality feedback, rather than trying to guess myself and end up with some disastrous experience! Right now I'm leaning toward Port Burwell as it's a smaller park and has some children's areas. I called this morning to ask about the tick problem and she said that their park doesn't really get affected by it too much (I guess some of the other ones on Lake Erie do such as Long Point). She mentioned that the camp sites were on a bluff so I wonder if that helps although that could be totally wrong (I DID take biology in university but never with bugs!) and she did suggest driving to the beach because of the bluffs (not a great walk with a 2 year old!)

you need to book a site - the good ones are gone 5 months in advance at the pinery.

http://www.camis.com/OP/default.asp

But if you find a less trodden site, you can still get a site. We're hitting Point Farms thi summer. Can't wait!
    I did check out this site last night and made sure that there were some sites available. Because we are going in the week, especially on a Wednesday, there are still sites available so I think we are good to go!
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

I love Port Burwell too. We've been camping there since we were kids. I love that it is close enough that if you had to come home, you could but it is not right in the city or anything. The sites are extrememly private which is nice and very shady. I've never had tick problems there but our dogs have gotten ticks at Long Point and Rondeau. The playground/park is very nice at Burwell and even though the beach isn't really walking distance - it is a beautiful beach and they even have a section that is dog-friendly. Makes me want to go camping but I don't think it's in the cards for this year with me being preggo and miserable - I don't really want to sleep on the ground. Next year for sure!!

Formerly Jacksmommy
    Becky ~ Mom to two busy boys, Jack & Ben

~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind~
    ~Dr. Seuss~

We have gone camping at the port burwell provincial park for the past 4 years. We love love love it. We do have our favorite sites marked out so we try to book ahead to make sure we get them for the week. We usually take a partial shady spot not too far from the washroom/shower rooms. We tent camp so washrooms are needed close by. LOL. We have always drove to the beach (but I know there is a trail marked out for walkers/bikers - personally I think it is too far to walk to the beach). Lots of beach space and nice soft sand. What is nice also it most people swimming there are families camping also. If you are camping at the provincial park you get into the park beach free with your camping ticket. I know there is also a public beach (free) just on the other side of the light house. I haven't been in the water there but assume it would be the same as other beach. Oh you so make me want to go camping soon. 8)

My vote is for Burwell as well. The park staff have been very friendly and helpful whenever I've been there + all of the above.
    Mom to the Desmanian Devil ( May 05 )