Expert Forum User

Default Help...what is this called

What is the correct term for the piece of skin in your mouth between your lip and jaw. Not to be confused with the spot under your tongue. My DS has a much bigger piece of skin in his mouth that attaches from his jaw to where his gums meet his teeth. He also has this same type of skin at the side of his mouth on both sides. It is fairly thick skin attached from his cheek to the top of his gums on the top row of teeth. It GREATLY affects how wide he can open his mouth. He says they are sore. We have seen a doc who says it is normal. We are going to see a dentist again. I have never seen it before. Please please please if you know the name of the skin or know someone who also has this issue please share what you know about it.
    moving sucks

Expert Forum User

ds2 has a tight tie from his upperlip to his gum. I had this checked by both the doctor and the dentist, who said it's normal, however expect that he will have a gap between his teeth.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    ds2 has a tight tie from his upperlip to his gum. I had this checked by both the doctor and the dentist, who said it's normal, however expect that he will have a gap between his teeth.
    My son says it hurts. Does yours?
    moving sucks

Frenulum, is any piece of connective tissue like that. The one under your tongue is also called a frenulum. I don't know if there is a specific word for that one.
    Looking for a doula? Contact --
    www.babeezeinarms.com

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by llubberts View Post
    Frenulum, is any piece of connective tissue like that. The one under your tongue is also called a frenulum. I don't know if there is a specific word for that one.

Whew...that helps....now I found out more info. Like it is a “buccal frena“
    moving sucks

Expert Forum User

Both my kids have a thick, tight tie as well and the dentist said if it is like that by the time they're around 8 it can be clipped to prevent the big gap they'd end up with. My DD has never complained about hers hurting.
    Alicia
    Mommy to Summer, Avery, and Bentley

Expert Forum User

I had this too, but the dentist “cut“ it so that I wouldn't have a big gap between my two top front teeth (like my mom). It was cut and no gap . I believe I had it done when I was about 13-15yo, so no gap had developed yet, but the dentist could tell it was coming. PM me if you want the name of the dentist, he is fab and does all kinds of surgeries (this one is very minor).

I don't really remember it being sore beforehand though.

Banned

My DS had a fernectomy done when he was in J/K He recovered very easily. It was done at Interface.

He had such a wide gap it looked like he was missing a tooth. He still has a small gap but that cannot be corrected by braces or anything. He has a great smile.
    His never caused him any pain

Quote Originally Posted by Dianne View Post
    What is the correct term for the piece of skin in your mouth between your lip and jaw. Not to be confused with the spot under your tongue. My DS has a much bigger piece of skin in his mouth that attaches from his jaw to where his gums meet his teeth. He also has this same type of skin at the side of his mouth on both sides. It is fairly thick skin attached from his cheek to the top of his gums on the top row of teeth. It GREATLY affects how wide he can open his mouth. He says they are sore. We have seen a doc who says it is normal. We are going to see a dentist again. I have never seen it before. Please please please if you know the name of the skin or know someone who also has this issue please share what you know about it.
    I just got back from my ds's 6 month check up and found out that it was called a frenulum, and came right on here to see if anyone else has had kids with this, his too is from the side of his cheek to where his gums meet his teeth, but only on one side, the doctor told me not to worry about it, that it should be ok, but I wonder if it'll bother him as he gets older.

Did you end up asking a dentist about it? What did they say?
    Evelyn May - 9 years
    Rose Adelle - 7 1/2 years
    William James - 5 years
    Thomas Edward - 16 months

Expert Forum User

Off topic, but I have the reverse problem, I pretty well don't have a tie. Nothing keeps my upper lip controlled.

There are so pros (like I've always been able to fit my whole fist in my mouth). But it also has it's downsides, I'm quite self concious about it. When I smile I'm all gum, I actually have more exposed gum then teeth. Having the minimal tie I have tightened would be the one peice of cosmetic surgery I'd seriously consider

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

hmmm very interesting..... my oldest has his Frenectomy at the tender age of 2.. under his tongue.. he was not able to speak. no pain that we know of.. performed by surgeon who told us we had wasted his time.. never regretted well ok maybe once or twice.. attitude! lol.
    wondering NOW if it can grow back..hence his difficulty speaking?