Default Bye Bye Soother!!

So we said goodbye to our soothers about a week and a half ago. He threw them in the garbage which he thought was hilarious and said bye bye. He's only ever used them for sleeping. So far, he's sleeping his naps and through the night. The only change is that he cries when we put him down for anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes. Depending on the intensity, I may go up and settle him down, tell him he's ok.
    We've never let him cio before and he's never cried himself to sleep so this is a big change.

Has anybody else encountered this after saying goodbye to the soothers? Will this stop or will he always cry before sleep now? We're unsure how to handle this change in his sleep routines. I've never felt comfortable letting him cio so I'm not sure what to do. Stay in his room until he stops, go up every few minutes or just let him figure it out?!? I'm reluctant to start letting him cry it out since we've worked so hard to get him comfortable sleeping without crying.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Expert Forum User

My older DS had his soother until he was three and the first night he cried but my DH laid with him and cuddled him to sleep but that was only for one night and he was much older than your DS.
    DS #2 still has a soother to sleep - he would def cry if he didn't have it.
    I, personally, wouldn't let him CIO without the soother. He's still pretty young (if your ticker is accurate) and not having the soother is probably a big adjustment for him. I would rub his back etc if you really don't want him having the soother.

Formerly Jacksmommy
    Becky ~ Mom to two busy boys, Jack & Ben

~Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind~
    ~Dr. Seuss~

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sophiev View Post
    So we said goodbye to our soothers about a week and a half ago. He threw them in the garbage which he thought was hilarious and said bye bye. He's only ever used them for sleeping. So far, he's sleeping his naps and through the night. The only change is that he cries when we put him down for anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes. Depending on the intensity, I may go up and settle him down, tell him he's ok.
    We've never let him cio before and he's never cried himself to sleep so this is a big change.

Has anybody else encountered this after saying goodbye to the soothers? Will this stop or will he always cry before sleep now? We're unsure how to handle this change in his sleep routines. I've never felt comfortable letting him cio so I'm not sure what to do. Stay in his room until he stops, go up every few minutes or just let him figure it out?!? I'm reluctant to start letting him cry it out since we've worked so hard to get him comfortable sleeping without crying.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Yes when we took Noah's soodie away he started to cray at nap/bedtimes. I don't believe in CIO either and I was having a really hard time seeing my usually happy napper/bedtime buddy start crying even before we went to his bed for nap/bedtime. After 5 days I decided to give his soodie back. It was not getting better, it was getting worse.

Since Noah only has it at bed/naptime I'm okay with it. It is never even in his mouth when I go check on him

Now bed/naptime is beautiful again at my house.

Good luck to your LO

I know how hard it is to hear them cry