Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Default A non-controversial homeschooling question ;)

I'm just wondering if anyone knows. Two of my kids started in the public school system and I sent off my letter of intent last year. My understanding is that I have to submit this letter every year from now on, which is fine.

Does anyone know what happens if I move to a different school district? Would I then need to submit the letter to the new school board, continue submitting it to the old school board, or not submit it at all? And if I suddenly drop off the radar by not submitting a letter anywhere, is someone eventually going to come knocking on the door?

TIA!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I don't know MOF. I had to submit a letter for A. to withdraw her but i didn't resubmit the following year and have no intention of resubmitting this year. I figure if anyone cares they can contact me. So far no one has.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process.” -Jan Fortune Wood"

Banned

Hmmm, interesting. I thought you had to submit every year. Maybe I won't bother this year and see if anything happens.

Sorry, Mo4 I don't have he answer either, but I do have a related question. What happens if you move to another school district (new town or city) over the summer and decide to homeschool for the following year. Do you have to submit a letter of intent to the new Board or can you just drop off the schooling radar? I know it's basically the same question but I'm wondering what would happen in our case if we went from attending public school in one city to homeschooling in a different area of the province (hypothetically... for any of my irl friends on here wondering if we're moving lol).
    Last edited by whirlygirl; 07-03-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Banned

No idea on that either! I'm kind of thinking that if you've moved out of the school district area then the old school district doesn't know where you are and the new one doesn't know you exist so I think you don't have to submit a letter to anyone. But I don't know for sure.

Does anyone know how the process works for transferring the OSR? If it's up to the old board to send it upon request from the new one, are they going to be wondering why no one requested the OSR? More likely, it just sits there and no one gives it a second thought...

Expert Forum User

MOF, are you thinking of moving out of London? Is this in relation to the RVing through Europe idea?

I think it could possibly make some difference whether you're talking about just moving out of the TVDSB district, or out of the province entirely (and thus not within the range of the Ontario Ministry of Education at all -- since schooling laws and policies are provincial). Although it may be fine either way -- don't know.
    formerly Kathy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
    MOF, are you thinking of moving out of London? Is this in relation to the RVing through Europe idea?
    Alas, no RVing yet. It would be out of London but inside Ontario. Not even definite yet, and not sure how far outside of London! Just was wondering.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mum_of_four View Post
    Alas, no RVing yet. It would be out of London but inside Ontario. Not even definite yet, and not sure how far outside of London! Just was wondering.

No No don't move out of London. I want your kids to get to know my kids lol

Yes, the police will most definitely come after you for moving...er...not submitting the letter. You will be fined extensively and will likely spend significant amounts of time in prison as a result.

The only way to avoid this fate is to not move.

Mama to TWO little sweetie pies!!

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by flamingogirl View Post
    Yes, the police will most definitely come after you for moving...er...not submitting the letter. You will be fined extensively and will likely spend significant amounts of time in prison as a result.

it's true. what she said.

Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tan2manykids View Post
    No No don't move out of London. I want your kids to get to know my kids lol
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingogirl View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    it's true. what she said.
    Ha! You're all very funny. Even if I moved halfway around the world you likely wouldn't notice much difference here!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

I'm horribly offended by this thread.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    I'm horribly offended by this thread.
    It is quite controversial, IMO. Especially this quote...
    Ha! You're all very funny. Even if I moved halfway around the world you likely wouldn't notice much difference here!

Banned

I think we should report her and have her given probation. I think that it is very lenient to say she must remain within the London Area for the next 15 years. After that time if she has redeemed herself she may be free to move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast