Expert Forum User

Default Watch out for the dye coming off Dempster's Stayfresh bags (silver)

I was going to put this in product review, but then its the packaging, not the actual product that has the problem. Just wanted to forwarn anyone else who might have this problem.

http://www.dempsters.ca/products/products_StayFreshMain.html

I couldn't figure out where the blue/black dye specks on my counter top was coming from. This morning when I was making toast, I notices it was all over my hands. Like a blue ball point pen had exploded. So, I back tracked. The culpit? The dye was coming off the silver package that the bread was in, that I had just taken out of the freeze to thaw. I took it and actually ran the bread bread bag under running water and it wash off (only the blue). Washing my hands with soap and water, cleans them up, but I not the counter. So, beware. Don't know if its because I froze the bag that caused this, but if so then why just the blue and not the red, black or gold/yellow dye?

Call the company and talked to Louie and he said it probally had something to do with the freezing, but didn't have an answer to why just the blue and why, I hadn't noticed the issue before. His solution was to pass it to 'quality control' and to be sending out coupons.

No suggestion on how to wash the residual blue off my counter. Lucky its a darker, marble pattern (not marble) counter. Any suggestions ladies? Don't want to scrub it and then leave it lighter than the rest and even more noticable than blue specks.

Ana
    Expert Forum User

baking soda is a gentle abrasive the might work.

yes...we buy that kind of bread occasionally too...makes a giant mess on counter (came from freezer as well)...now when i take a bag out of freezer i put it on a giant pyrex measuring cup until bread bag unthawes and dries...have to say the only way thing that cleaned it was really strong bathroom spray on cleaner (not ideal!)....

Um, that can't be too good for you. Doesn't sound like the company was too concerned!
    Overachieving underachiever

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

its not the freezing I had that happen a few times when it had not been frozen

Expert Forum User

The dye comes off after a few days of wiping, just like Koolaid stains, or anything like that. It eventually comes off!
    Danielle
    Mom of 4

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

yup had that same problem before too.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

weve had that issue before too!

Expert Forum User

K you can try lemon juice on the counter - is it laminate?

You can very carefully use magic eraser - but in very small dosages - it can remove the colour.

As a last resort - nail polish remover may work as well - but test it first in a hidden area.
    Last edited by L&AMOM; 07-02-2009 at 01:04 PM.
    “A mother's love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,
    it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking”- Helen Rice

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

happens here All. The. Time!! so frustrating... and I still can not get it off my counter either
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

it's not just dempster's bread. any plastic bag will do that to your counter. vim or anything with bleach takes it out.

Quote Originally Posted by branka82 View Post
    it's not just dempster's bread. any plastic bag will do that to your counter. vim or anything with bleach takes it out.
    I have yet to find something that takes it off the counters, but I'm probably dealing with older counters than most people lol we're not known for updating stuff around here.
    DH is notorious for flooding the counter while doing dishes (but hey, he does dishes, no complaints!) so I'm always trying to keep every single thing off the countertops, but fail.
    So we've had imprints of pepsi cases, bread packages, etc on our coutners. UGH. Fliers, you name it.
    On the floor, too, once, when the dishwahser overflowed somehow and there were collapsed cardboard boxes stacked under the table...
    I'll have to try baking sodea. I tried vim, bleach, lemon, vinegar, etc. and then just always put stuff over to cover it lol cos it never faded.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc