Thread: References?

Default References?

I need some help!
    I have an interview tomorrow and I am sure they will want some references. I can't for the life of me, remember how to properly write out a list of references using proper format. My office word only has templates for cover letters, nothing about references. I was going to call Michelle (Jacob's mom), but she is at that concert tonight. Can any of you give me a template please?? My interview is tomorrow at 1pm!
    I gather it goes roughly like this:

References:

1) Jane Doe, Manager for Blah Blah Blah, address, phone etc.
    2) etc
    3) I think you need at least 3?

TIA!!!

MBM
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

Sorry, I don't know either.

Just wanted to wish you good luck at your interview!
    ~LBG

Banned

Name of reference
    Title
    Company Name
    phone number

It is always good to have three references

Expert Forum User

I agree with Carters Mommy. Also depending on the job, sometimes having "references available" at the bottom of your resume works and then take along the copy. At the end of the interview when they ask if you have any questions, you could easily say something like, I have brought along a list of references, would you like them?

However, if they specifically asked for references, then I would include them in the package (cover letter, resume, references)

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I personally add the connection under the Name, Title etc. Example (and usually in italics to separate this line from the "important" information; "former supervisor"... or "co-worker" etc. So they know WHY the person is a reference for you. Don't forget you can put cell phone numbers and email addresses as options for easier contactability. You should have three business references, and three personal references.

You don't need to put "Referenced available upon request" on your resume anymore. It's universally understood that you will have them, and they(prospective employers) will want them. Do NOT include them with your cover letter and resume when you are applying for the job, and personally I wouldn't offer them up if they didn't ask for them in the interview...that would tell me that something was up. I asked for references from 14-year-olds to work at a fast food restaurant, so it should be expected to have them at any interview. Remember to take two extra copies of your resume with you (one for you; for reference while you're discussing your history etc., and one in case they have a second interviewer, or would like a fresh copy).

GOOD LUCK!!!!

OK thanks so I will write as follows:

1) Name of Person, Manager(suppose to be italics), NewCO interprizes, (519)-666-6666.
    2) etc....?

If that doesn't look right, let me know before noon!
    TIA!

BTW! They already have my cover letter and resume. I have the final interview today, so I thought it would be a good idea to have some with me typed up.
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

Banned

I would do it like this

And I see lots of resumes come my way lol these are the ones I prefer

1)Name
    Title
    Relationship (what amyunicorn said lol)
    Company Name
    Phone Number

2) Name
    Title

You get the point. This format looks more appealing to the eye. Make sure you bring your references to your interview. Nothing drives me nuts more then me asking for the reference list that they state is available upon request, and get the deer caught in headlights look because they don't have it with them.

Thanks Cartersmummy!
    I think I like that style much better!
    So what would you write for relationship? I have 2 former co-workers who were not my boss but my senior person(in title only) and one former manager who I still talk to.

1)Jane Doe
    Senior Technologist
    Co-worker?
    Awful old company name which I hope to never see again
    (519) 666-6666

TIA!
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:

~ Jack Handey

Banned

lol

yes put senior co worker, that sends a message that they helped guide you in a way

Let us know how it went!

Thanks for asking. It did not go as well as I would have liked. I think I put too much pressure on myself for getting it. I have 8 other people to compete with, so it may be a close call. I am praying tonight that I get it. Now I get to stew all weekend over it! Yeah! My stomach is doing flippy flops right now! :?
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:

~ Jack Handey

Here's hoping! If not, try, try again!