Default The joys of living in an apartment building

I live on the bottom level of an aparment building, and the ppl that live above me (Mom and 2 kids like 9 &11ish) seem to wait till night time anywhere from 8 or later till like 2-3 in the morning to just constantly walk around their apartment, and for some reason it is consistent walking around, its like what the heck would someone need to be constantly walking around at that time of nite for ?
    Is their anything I can do other than talk to her cuz she's the type that won't do anything other than make more noise ya know.
    Its just drivin me bonkers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I just wanna take my broom every morning at 8am and bang on my ceiling to see how she'd like it, or go buy a fog horn or something,lol.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I forgot how much I hated apartment living until I lived in one recently with two kids. It was constant stress. I hated how I had to constantly tell them stop dancing/laughing/yelling/running, but if I didn't, I'd get the knockknockknock on the door or the call in to the office to get lectured. argh.
    If they can enforce 'noise' rules on me at times like four and six pm, yes, PM, then you can surely file complaints for times after like ten pm or something. Give it a try. Maybe it'll do like it did to us drive them away and get you quieter neighbours. lol we left and I bet many were happy to see us go (except K, and I miss her too!).
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Complain to your landlord/office. Repeatedly.

Even if all they are doing is “walking around“ even tho it sounds like they got lead in their feet ?

I think people are going to walk in their apartments, yk? Can you get used to it/block it out? Or tell them about it and ask about getting carpets?
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Expert Forum User

The taps in our building are busted big time so every time someone above us goes potty you hear scccrrreeeeeeeeeeeeaaaak. Man it's annoying. But I can't tell people not to go potty. The last place I lived it sounded like the folks above us went bowling every night around 2 am. I dunno what they were doing up there but it was crazy. I tend to agree more with Myrah though.
    I try and remember that my loudly crying baby can really bother people and he doesn't care whether it's day or night, he'll scream. He's teething and last night he cried for 2 hours from 3 until 5 and nothing helped. I'm sure that annoyed the heck out of my neighbours but there was nothing I could do.
    If they're playing loud music or making a racket then complain, but walking above you is just part of apartment living. Maybe try earplugs? I used to wear them to block out DH's snoring and they aren't half bad (can't now though or I wouldn't hear the baby get up!)

[/url]

apartment living can suck sometimes...i think every apartment i've ever lived in has had some neighbors that irritated the heck out of me, but what're you gonna do? you're sharing a building with these people--you are going to hear noise. i'd say unless they're being inappropriate with the noise level--ie. loud music or yelling and screaming or barking dogs or something like that, just leave it be. the way i see it, people probably want to complain about me and DS sometimes too!

Expert Forum User

I was right there with you a year ago. I hated it. With a passion. Then they decided to install hardwood/laminate flooring so everyone that went to the party at our above neighbours place and wore heels.... wanna see a grown woman go bonkers! I second the recommendation to put it all in writing and then take it to your super. Could it be an animal that's wondering around at all hours? A child that's sleep-walking? Noise transference? It sucks when you can't sleep as it is, then this to go on...

I don't know, if really all they are doing is walking I don't think there's much you can do. Growing up we had a family live above us and the mom would walk around with her baby at night wearing wooden clogs (you know the dutch shoes) on the hardwood floor. My mom eventually said something and she got a pair of slippers, but obviously continued the walking.
    So I think that's about the extend of what you can do.

I live in an apartment and I've never had any issues with noise... but i've had issues with this one angry old lady!
    There's a sign infront of our front door that saids, “do not let strangers in.. blah blah blah“ and I would walk up to the door behind her with hands full of groceries, plus work bag and purse and with DS in tow... and she would purposely close the door right behind her so I can't get in!!! She's done the same with the undergroup garage, where she would stop her car right after she gets into the garage and wouldn't move until the garage door starts closing. I understand its for security but I do not look like a scum bag. 90% of the time I am wearing a suit with heels and has ds with me. if anything she looks much sketchier than me

Quote Originally Posted by thehappylainy View Post
    I live in an apartment and I've never had any issues with noise... but i've had issues with this one angry old lady!
    There's a sign infront of our front door that saids, “do not let strangers in.. blah blah blah“ and I would walk up to the door behind her with hands full of groceries, plus work bag and purse and with DS in tow... and she would purposely close the door right behind her so I can't get in!!! She's done the same with the undergroup garage, where she would stop her car right after she gets into the garage and wouldn't move until the garage door starts closing. I understand its for security but I do not look like a scum bag. 90% of the time I am wearing a suit with heels and has ds with me. if anything she looks much sketchier than me

I do the same thing as that lady and I don't care what they look like its a secure building. why not introduce yourself to the lady so she knows you live there? I have pulled the door shut on many neighbours untill I was told they lived there.

as for not looking like a scum bag what does one look like if I recall right alot of criminals look like perfectly normal people