Expert Forum User

Smile Wildlife reserve in my backyard.

I have since discovered I have a wildlife reserve in my back yard. I found a finch nest in my current bushes, with tiny little eggs the size of marbles. A dove nest in my vino with the dove sitting inside starring at me and a little bunny I scared the living daylights out of today when I was cleaning the kids playhous out with the hose. 2 chipmunks that live under my shed. Oh, and not so wild animal, my chocolate lab Sydney. Well, he is kind of wild.
    What lives in your yard?

Banned

That is so cool! Sadly I only have my doves, cardinals, sparrows and chickadees that come to our feeder. I console myself with the fact that my feed from Arva Mills also feeds some mice, a couple of chipmunks, and other assorted little critter passerbys. My irritants are the squirrels that lounge on my fencing as though they'd like drinks served to them as well.

My feed is brought to other younger birds still in nest, we did see a mommy feeding her baby on the fence by coming to the feeder and bringing it food.

Expert Forum User

Well, voles or moles have SHREDDED my basement window screens.
    Bunnies usually eat at least part of my garden each year...oh, and have their babies under my shed.
    Then we have the toads, and ants, and other bug life. Oh, and a black squirrel with a brown tail.
    And, besides the regulars at the birdfeeder/trees - jays, chickadees, downy woodpecker, etc we have had a male and female duck come and visit us almost daily for the past week. If they aren't in our yard, they are in the yard behind us. It's awesome as DS LOVES ducks!
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I too have a lot of wildlife - about 3 different bird nests, a ton of birds who are on day passes to our yard , bunnies, chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons, etc. and considering the joy/havoc all these critters create in my life I think that is enough for now. I am naturalizing part of my backyard & we live close to a major park so I think that is part of the reason for the bustle.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

A huge part of our town is on the world's largest wildlife preserve, so we get our fair share

We personally haven't had much in our yard that we know of, we've HEARD things but couldn't see without a yard light.
    We have seen in town: bear, moose, cougar on edge of town, foxes, wolves, stray dogs, chipmunks, one stray cat.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

I get loads of birds, I have a nyjer feeder for the finches, a squirrel-proof feeder with black oil sunflower and safflower seeds for lots of different birds, 3 hummingbird feeders, and woodpecker bars for the nuthatches, downy, hairy and red bellied woodpeckers. I also have baltimore orioles and blue jays visiting at the moment.
    We have chipmunks running back and forth across the garden and living in our garage (I love this) and loads of voles, toads and dragonflies!
    Deer graze just beyond our back chain link fence, and right now all my neighbours want to talk about is the fox that greets most of us each morning at the end of the street.
    And all of this right in the middle of the city!
    Lynn, newly employed mom to Evelyn (13), Sophie (10), and Georgia (6)

GIRLS ROCK!!

Expert Forum User

Ok, I thought I was done in my previous post, but it would appear I missed two, um, characters....
    I have a chipmunk that is stealing my black il sunflower seeds... BUT, he must be stashing them in piles in my garden because I have these little clumps of sunflowers starting all over! I think he must keep coming back for his stash and realize he has to start again!
    And, tonight we discovered THIS guy under the stairs to our deck. We only have two stairs. We took him to the ravine across the road, as we were afraid the kids might get too curious... I'll post a pic another time... but it was a pretty big TURTLE!
    Last edited by tansie; 06-28-2009 at 07:27 PM.

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Expert Forum User

Wow Tansie. That is a big surprise for sure. A turtle.
    Well now I have this crazy yellow finch that has been trying to get in my windows fot the last 3 days. It starts pecking at the windows at 5:30am and does not stop until 9:30pm. this bird is nuts. I can not figure out what it wants.

Expert Forum User

[QUOTE=sabb6canada;483951]Wow Tansie. That is a big surprise for sure. A turtle.
    Well now I have this crazy yellow finch that has been trying to get in my windows fot the last 3 days. It starts pecking at the windows at 5:30am and does not stop until 9:30pm. this bird is nuts. I can not figure out what it wants.[/QUOTE]

Inside?

Ok, turtle is on the left!

Expert Forum User

Holy cow! I thought I had wildlife
    Lynn, newly employed mom to Evelyn (13), Sophie (10), and Georgia (6)

GIRLS ROCK!!

Expert Forum User

[QUOTE=tansie;484107]
    Quote Originally Posted by sabb6canada View Post
    Wow Tansie. That is a big surprise for sure. A turtle.
    Well now I have this crazy yellow finch that has been trying to get in my windows fot the last 3 days. It starts pecking at the windows at 5:30am and does not stop until 9:30pm. this bird is nuts. I can not figure out what it wants.[/QUOTE]

Inside?

Ok, turtle is on the left!

Thats a Snapper!!!! Are you close to water? and do you have sand in your yard? They are laying eggs late this year, so don't be surprised if later on in the season you seel little ones doing the trek to the closest water source.

My little Yellow Finch is still at it. This is day 5 and the dar thing still wants something. It is not even scared. I can talk to it right at the window and it just sits there looking at me. Strange.

Expert Forum User

[QUOTE=sabb6canada;486144]
    Quote Originally Posted by tansie View Post

Thats a Snapper!!!! Are you close to water? and do you have sand in your yard? They are laying eggs late this year, so don't be surprised if later on in the season you seel little ones doing the trek to the closest water source.

My little Yellow Finch is still at it. This is day 5 and the dar thing still wants something. It is not even scared. I can talk to it right at the window and it just sits there looking at me. Strange.
    Our backyard does have accumulated water in some areas, but we found this guy under the deck stairs... and no sand anywhere in our yard. We live across the road from a ravine/storm water pond, but that's a good 300 foot trek to the water! Seems someone lost his/her way!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, feel daring enough to open the window and let the finch in?!?!?!?!? I would be so tempted especially since it keeps coming back! You should video it and send it in to AFV. Maybe the little guy is trying to bring you a fortune!

Expert Forum User

[QUOTE=tansie;486204]
    Quote Originally Posted by sabb6canada View Post

Our backyard does have accumulated water in some areas, but we found this guy under the deck stairs... and no sand anywhere in our yard. We live across the road from a ravine/storm water pond, but that's a good 300 foot trek to the water! Seems someone lost his/her way!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, feel daring enough to open the window and let the finch in?!?!?!?!? I would be so tempted especially since it keeps coming back! You should video it and send it in to AFV. Maybe the little guy is trying to bring you a fortune!
    I think I figured out why my little Finch friend is trying to get in the windows. The little gal is trying to build a nest. We found it last night and it is very close to our bedroom window. I guess we are bugging her or something or maybe she is hoping for some better nest building materals by knocking on the window!! Oh, speak of the devil she is knocking on my window as I write.

Expert Forum User

[QUOTE=sabb6canada;487133]
    Quote Originally Posted by tansie View Post

I think I figured out why my little Finch friend is trying to get in the windows. The little gal is trying to build a nest. We found it last night and it is very close to our bedroom window. I guess we are bugging her or something or maybe she is hoping for some better nest building materals by knocking on the window!! Oh, speak of the devil she is knocking on my window as I write.

That is just too funny!