Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Default If your baby is sleeping through the night -- what time is your "bedtime"???

So my LO usually goes to bed around 10pm and will sleep through the night until 7am (FINALLY LOL)... will have her bottle and than sleep again until around 9-10am. When I mentioned this to someone today they seemed quite surprised it was so late. I have tried putting her down earlier but then she is up earlier etc..

A friend mentioned to me trying to put her down earlier and than going in before my bed time and give her a feeding..in my experience that often wakes her up and gets her all active -- not at all going to go to bed.. but she swears by it.. her son goes to bed at 630 and she goes in and feeds him at 10 and he sleeps till 7.

Was thinking of trying it... was just wondering am I the only one who has such a late bedtime?!? (She does nap during the day too..)
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

I guess it depends on your schedule and what works for you . . .

I feed my LO around 9pm and then he is usually asleep and in bed around 10pm....he gets up again around 5am, drinks 4-5oz and then is back to sleep until about 8am. He is still napping a lot through the day as well. He is a good sleeper for sure. This routine seems to work for us and that is all that matters really

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Awww... I feel kind of validated by your comment. I felt like I was keeping her up way to late or something.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My LO's went down at 7pm from about 5mos (when they worked out their own schedule) and still do. They sleep until 7-8am (lol, sometimes 9!). For me, sleeping through the night means not getting up anytime in their 12 hour stretch, whenever that is. My 13mo is still hit and miss with it, but starting to hit more than miss (*knock on wood*). My 3yo worked it out at 10 months.

ETA: for us, we found that putting them down at 7pm avoided that 'witching hour' where they'd be hugely fussy and unsettled in the evening, and it helped when I had to go back to work. I mean, it's great while I was on mat leave if they wanted to sleep until 9 or 10, yk? But when real life kicked in, we needed to be moving long before then.
    Last edited by AuntPetunia; 06-17-2009 at 10:11 PM.

I think that you should do what works for you. Just because it works for one person doesnt mean it will work for another. I think your doing just fine.

LO goes down around 8-9pm and sleeps in till 7:30-9am the next morning.....

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

DD goes down around 8:15pm-8:15am. She is now 18 months and this has been steady for the last few weeks. Before this, she was ALL OVER THE PLACE with sleeping, it drove me nuts!

Expert Forum User

If your baby set this schedule I think it would be pretty hard to change it. If it works for you why go to all the trouble to change it cause of someone elses opinion.

Expert Forum User

My baby FINALLY sleeps through the night sort of about 60% of the time. He just got his 12 mnth shots so last night he was up a gazillion times again, but typically he goes to bed around 7 or 7:30 and sleeps until 4 or 5:30. If it's before 5:30 I put him back down without feeding. After 5:30 I'll feed him and he'll sleep until about 6:30. We're trying to put him to bed a bit later but he's just dropped his afternoon nap so he is a miserable ball of anger by 6 pm.

my LO goes down at around 9 ish...sometimes a bit later.
    He wakes around 3 30 to feed, and then back to sleep until about 6 30. He will then be up for about an hour, and then back to sleep for a bit...maybe unt 7 30 or so.

my baby goes down between 8 and 830
    sometimes she gets up at around midnight to feed but i am trying to just feed her more during the day and give her a soother at midnight and last night it worked.
    so ya then she is in bed til 8am, i feed her and she will go back sometimes for another half hr or so

I am a new mom and I try to get my little guy to bed before 9 30and he gets up at like 6 30 so i think a half hour difference wont make much of a difference as long as the little one isnt tired

my daughter is 8 months old and usually goes to bed between 8pm & 9pm then sleeps until 7:30am. She has been on this schedule (which she set) for quite awhile.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

When my little guys first started sleeping through the night it was because they were going down later at night like yours. When I wanted to move bedtime up, I planned naps accordingly. One nap in mid-morning, another in early afternoon, and then they're up with enough time for a good long play, dinner and bath before bed at 730/8. You'll get there, no worries.