Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default No more automatic c-sections for breech birth

The Society of Gynecologists and Obstetricians of Canada released a new guideline on vaginal breech births. It is a start and I am really happy to see this turn of events.

June 17, 2009 | No more automatic C-section for breech births, says Ob/Gyn Society | Media Advisories | Media Centre | SOGC

You can access the full guideline at the bottom of the media advisory.

Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

how neat!

awesome!

whhhhooooo hoooooooooooo!
    Shawn
    Vesta Chick & Mompreneur Extrodinaire
    www.vestaparenting.ca
    Join the Vesta Parenting or Vesta Shop facebook page, it's mighty good

Since not all care providers are skilled at providing vaginal breech births, it maybe worthwhile to ask if your provider is capable when you are looking for a Dr/OB just in case your baby turns out to be breech. Midwives will most likely refer you to a Dr. who is capable if it breech birth is necessary, so it is less of an issue when choosing a midwife.

Hopefully this will be less of an issue in the future as Drs will be trained in the techniques of breech births again.

- Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Ana
    Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by doulamom View Post

Hopefully this will be less of an issue in the future as Drs will be trained in the techniques of breech births again.

Or maybe midwives will specialize in this and then OBs can refer breech births to the experts in not interferring in birth, which is, from what I've read of those who ARE still experts in breech birth is the way they should be handled.

Breech birth | Homebirth: Midwife Mutiny in South Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
    Or maybe midwives will specialize in this and then OBs can refer breech births to the experts in not interferring in birth, which is, from what I've read of those who ARE still experts in breech birth is the way they should be handled.

That is a fabulous idea! And one that should be so obvious....
    Willow
    Mama of David (6) and Mary (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Hecate View Post

True! My midwife was pre-regulation for midwives (old school) and she had attended many breech births prior to regulation. She so badly wished she could help me birth M. when she was breech.

- Henry David Thoreau

"

Quote Originally Posted by doulamom View Post
    Since not all care providers are skilled at providing vaginal breech births, it maybe worthwhile to ask if your provider is capable when you are looking for a Dr/OB just in case your baby turns out to be breech.
    Would this actually make that much difference? My OB is very skilled at delivering breech babies vaginally.... but it didn't help me a bit when I went into labour in the middle of the night and the resident-on-call realized (as I hit 10cm) that the baby was breach and he'd “need to knock me out and do an emergency c-section“.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Would this actually make that much difference? My OB is very skilled at delivering breech babies vaginally.... but it didn't help me a bit when I went into labour in the middle of the night and the resident-on-call realized (as I hit 10cm) that the baby was breach and he'd “need to knock me out and do an emergency c-section“.
    True - but at least if your care provider does do breech births you won't automatically be scheduled for c-section before you go into labour.

Sorry that happened to you. I can understand your frustration.

- Henry David Thoreau

"

I'm glad to hear this. My sister had a vaginal breech birth almost nine years ago and everything went great for her. I'm not sure what the guidelines were nine years ago but the on-call doctor was going to do a section and then her doctor came in and said nope she can do it vaginally. She was VERY happy with her doctor for stepping in.
    Used to be momtoJ&T but that was too boring.

That's awesome news but I wish elective c-sections weren't an option...

Anyhow, just to clarify, it depends on the breech position that baby is in before a Dr can clear. I know my Uncle's wife couldn't delivery breech, her's was a footling, one foot was hanging though

Quote Originally Posted by MomTo3 View Post

Anyhow, just to clarify, it depends on the breech position that baby is in before a Dr can clear. I know my Uncle's wife couldn't delivery breech, her's was a footling, one foot was hanging though
    My sister's baby had his feet up so he came out bum first. I remember his bum was black and blue for days.
    Used to be momtoJ&T but that was too boring.

Quote Originally Posted by MomTo3 View Post

It does depend on the breech presentation of the baby as well as a number of other restrictions. With a footling breech they could still try an external cephalic version (process to turn or manipulate position of the baby in utero) to bring the feet up so that they could then do a vaginal birth. This is what they suggested doing for me when my baby was a footling breech.

- Henry David Thoreau

"

Yay for this!!! Woop woop!
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast