Default Grade 8 grad. How much has it change since I was in grade 8.

My son has his grade 8 grad. next week. How has everthing change. I was helping last year because I was grade 7 parent. Now I am a grade 8 parent. Other parents are coming up to me screaming at me for tickets. We get 6 tickets, If need more we have ask for more. I can't understant why some parents need 20 or more tickets. Come on peaple it grade 8 not high school and the people that is *****ing are the ones that didn't help last year. I put alot of money last year and more this year with trips and Grad. My son needed to have a baby blue tux. I look everwhere and I finally found one. He is very popular and wants to be remember and he will. He is mc of the grad and he even asked a date. He asked a girl to grad. He said other boys asked girls aswell. I had to order a flower for her aswell. I don't understand at all. I am glad it will be over next week. I still have go through this two other times. Then high school. I will need advil LOL
    Last edited by momofhockey3; 06-16-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Expert Forum User

I graduated from grade 8 in the mid-90s. I went with a date and convinced my parents to buy a nice dress. That being said, my immediate family only went to my grade 8 grad. I skipped my highschool and college graduations, so not really sure what happened there.

Expert Forum User

I am always amazed at how expensive grad events are for young kids. I don't know how some parents do it. I am not sure why you would need to have 20 people attend when it is only Grade 8. Make it through high school and then I can see wanting more family there. Craziness!

Congrats to your son!

I have had 2 gr8 grads. No dates, and no flowers. The dresses were $200 and $300. Add $$ for new shoes, jewellery, and hairdo. My kids did not expect a grad gift. Their perspective was we just bought them a beautiful outfit and that was enough. Their classmates were getting grad gifts. Only immediate family and inlaws attended.

My gr8 grad was in a small village school. We had a potluck supper and the guys wore a suit and the girls wore a new summer dress.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My grade 8 grad was in '00...... ok ok I know.....

We had dresses, dance at the school after, after party at someone's house (ok after party was no alcohol and we played mario kart on n64 haha).
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by princess2808 View Post
    My grade 8 grad was in '00...... ok ok I know.....

We had dresses, dance at the school after, after party at someone's house (ok after party was no alcohol and we played mario kart on n64 haha).
    seriously? i feel old..I dont even rmemeber when i graduated from grade 8... grade 12 was '99 though.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

I only remember because we thought it was cool that we were the class of 2000 lol
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Sometimes divorced families end up requiring more tickets. My parents are divorced and remarried and so are my husband's. When we need tickets for dance or piano recitals we end up requiring a bunch....I expect grade 8 grad will be the same.

Expert Forum User

I have my son's grade 8 grad next Tuesday, and I have 20 people coming, because I am divorced from his dad, and have a new SO, so by the time our immediate family of 6 comes, my bio mom, my adopted parents, my SO's parents, my ex and his mom and sister, and my SO's sister and hubby, and now I found out yesterday my bio sister is coming!!

Once you get those blended families, the numbers really add up!! Luckly we don't have a limit at the resturant or the ceremony!!

Expert Forum User

Grade 8 got a new dress. Mom, Dad and Big brother came to the ceremony in the gym. First dance with a parent and then they left and we stayed and danced longer. My parents bought me a wrist coursage. That weekend we had a pool party that lasted really late. No special meals, no extended family, no dates, walked to the school so no special transportation.

Expert Forum User

1986 grade 8 graduation was a simple assembly-type ceremony and then dance in the school gym. I did not get or do anything fancy, don't even remember asking for it. My biggest memory was skipping out of the dance early “in style“ My father walking into the dance wearing his leathers to give me a helmet... he rode a 1968 Triumph Bonneville. He still has that awesome motorcycle... parked for years (. but the looks of horror on all the staff and the looks of wow on the students “priceless“

Highschool graduation consisted of getting the photos (parents choice) and I got a class ring (my choice). I did not go to any ceremony.

University graduation... even if it weren't for having a newborn daughter, I had no interest in going.

College graduation... totally skipped out on that. I had no interest in it but did tell my daughter if she had any curiousity about checking it out that I would get tickets and we could all go. We were a no-show.