Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Question C-Sections w and w/out staples

*no I am not pregnant to my knowledge just asking out of curiosity and for future reference*

I remember hearing that people heal faster, it's less painful, etc if you don't get the staples on your incision after a section. I know some doctors dont even mention staples anymore, they so rarely do them. (You can always request them of course).
    I was wondering if anyone has tried it with and without, and noticed any difference?

Or, has anyone asked about skipping the staples with a second or third csection and heard if that is more dangerous (because it's a second or third) or anything like that?

Thanks for any input
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I was 'glued' and my cousin was stapled.
    I had problems and she didn't - she thinks it was because I wasn't stapled but I don't agree. I had problems because dd accidentally fell into my lap (I was on the floor) and she kneed me in my incision.

Expert Forum User

I had staples in 2005 (was not asked ) with my first, stitches (I requested) with my second. I can't say it was related to the staples for sure but I did have a bad infection the first time and did not the second. Having the staples removed was also very unpleasant and not what you need to spend time going to do when you have a baby who is a few days old and are recovering from surgery IMO.

Expert Forum User

I had staples (2005, 2006). I healed very quickly both times.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

Didn't have staples with either c-section. I had minor healing problems after the first, but no problems with the second. I wouldn't have staples unless it were absolutely necessary.

stitches here and no issue whatsoever

I was glued after section with my eldest son. The OB I had used, told me infections in this day and age are unheard of...hahaha what a joke that was! I ended up with a life threatening in the incision which I nearly bled to death over and had to have nursing care come into my home everyday for many months afterwards. I also know a handful of other ppl who ended up with an infection in their incision and they were also 'glued'. I don't know what to think to be honest. Some Dr's will tell you one thing and other Dr's something else!

I had stitches the first time and requested them the second time as the OB who delivered my second usually uses staples.

While I ended up with a uterine infection the first time, the incision itself healed nicely and I barely have a scar after having two c-sections.

I have been informed that I will be getting staples after my c-section. I just thought that they would stitch me up, but was told that I would have to come back in a week to have my staples removed. Not looking forward to that at all.

With my first c-section (2001) I had staples...apparently the doctor that was on call that did the c-section prefers to use staples. They took them out on the day that I left the hospital. With my second (2006) I didn't have staples. I didn't notice a difference between the two of them.

April 14, 2001-May 05, 2001
    April 29, 2015

I didn't mind having staples removed to be honest. Just make sure you get to them before they're grown over at all, cos then it does hurt. It depends who does them - I was petrified of the nurse in the OB offices in St.T in 2003, so I went to my family dr and it didn't hurt at all, a tiny sting maybe.
    Then my other ones were taken out in Windsor, 2007 and I honestly didn't realise she'd started removing them til she was six staples along!

Thanks for the input so far. Not very conclusive but thanks, keep it coming.

Oh, and so I am sharing too : I had staples both times, no infections either time but did have a nerve caught in the stitches they figure, because I had some extreme pain the second time around. It went away as the stitches dissolved. I was very sore for a long time after my sections, but up and walking the first day. Just hunched and slow
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

I had stitches and I guess the OB who did mine rarely does stitches so the RN's were shocked I had stitches.

Personally, let the OB decide, I think I ended up with stitches b/c of the complications that arose during delivery.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by kayas_mommy View Post
    I have been informed that I will be getting staples after my c-section. I just thought that they would stitch me up, but was told that I would have to come back in a week to have my staples removed. Not looking forward to that at all.
    I had the staples removed before I left the hospital both times. I have zero pain tolerance, and it did not hurt me at all.

I had staples with my section and didn't have any problems.

kayas_mommy: staples, as a general rule, don't hurt coming out. I actually took my own out!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! PancakeMom's Avatar

I had staples the first time and ended up with a frankenstein scar, and had huge amounts of fluid from the wound for weeks after. The second I had stitched (they cut out the previous awful crooked scar), and I had no leakage, no problems and a nice straight fine line scar.

Everything I love is illegal, immoral or fattening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast