Expert Forum User

Default Horseback riding lessons

Haley went to a birthday party at a dude ranch yesterday and got to ride a pony! She was totally comfortable around all the horses and seemed very natural on the pony. (I TOTALLY thought she would be scared as she isn't always a risk taker)

So... anyone here have there LO's in horseback riding? I am kind of thinking that she would enjoy it but know NOTHING about it. I have never even rode a horse before! Can anyone help me out?? Which style is best? English? Western? Average cost? (will this cause me to go broke in the long run?? ) Where do your LO's go for lessons? What age do they start?

Any info would be helpful.
    Laura
    Mom to Haley (7) and Paige (5)

If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.
    ~Lewis Hine~

Oooohh! I have been wondering the same stuff! Hope you get some responses.
    Shawn
    Vesta Chick & Mompreneur Extrodinaire
    www.vestaparenting.ca
    Join the Vesta Parenting or Vesta Shop facebook page, it's mighty good

Expert Forum User

I would try to find a place that focuses on care of the horse, as well as riding.

Also, at such young age the focus should be balance and coordination, regardless of discipline. English/Western shouldn't matter much at this point (though I prefer English -- dressage, obviously -- as my primary focus).

My dd takes the occasional lesson at the farm where I board (sorry, they don't offer lessons to outside clients) and what her instructor focuses on is a lot of “fun“ exercises in the saddle as well as doing a lot of walking. Though she's been around horses all her life, she is still on a lead rope (occasionally off line) but *I* am just starting to get comfortable with her doing her own thing.

Vaulting is an awesome sport if your dd would be interested in that -- and one of the best foundations for young riders as it is the safest of all sports, but it teaches them balance and coordination on the horse. I know there's a place on London Road near Sarnia that offers vaulting lessons, and I found the instructor there awesome with the kiddos.

I'll see if I can dig up a list of barns in the area that offers lessons for youngsters; I know there's a local equine website that gives that info.

My own opinion is that when you barn shop, take careful note of the horses' conditions -- are they healthy and bright-eyed, not too skinny and overworked? -- and ensure that they are bombproof (for the most part, anyway; they ARE horses, afterall, and there is always risk involved no matter what). Too, take note of the facility itself. Clean, safe, etc.? Do they require helmets and proper gear? Etc. etc. It's always good to watch a few lessons first, see what you think.
    Last edited by dressage mom; 06-14-2009 at 04:24 PM.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

Expert Forum User

I rode at London Equestrian for many, many years. I have not been in many years so don't know what it is lik currently but I always thought it was a great place.
    Cinch stables is another that comes to mind but I have never personally ridden there. Lindenhof may still be around as well.
    Tannenfell stables always looks horrible to me, but the condition of the horse was always my main concern.

I don't know of any western stables other than Circle R.
    When she is a little older she may want to go to the sleepaway horseback riding camp at Circle R. It is a great summer camp. I was about 11 when I went.
    And to answer your other question, yes, it can be a very expensive sport. But it can also be a lifelong love if it is the right sport for your dd. It takes alot of time and effort but it can be so much fun.
    http://lifewithbecks.blogspot.com/

pm me for details about Little Diva Spa Parties

Expert Forum User

If you're just doing, say, weekly lessons, I don't think it's any more expensive than some sports kids are likely to be involved in (hockey comes to mind ... yikes!)

Depends on how involved you get, and if you show, etc. Shows can be expensive, depending on where you go, as well. It's all how involved you decide to be ... and I think at such a young age, it really isn't too bad. I pay $10 for a 1/2 hour lesson for my dd. As opposed to MY lessons that used to cost upwards of $95 -$120 for 45 minutes (but those were bigger-name trainers and some serious lessons, lol).
    Last edited by dressage mom; 06-14-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Expert Forum User

Here are a few to start, maybe you can check some of these places out?

Find London, ON horseback riding lessons

My daughter is 7 and has rode for 2.5 yrs. She rides english and a pony. We have been to a few different stables around London. We are very happy where we are but her instructor is very strict but that is what we are looking for in riding. Lessons are 35.-40. a lesson. We go weekly and double up in the summer. She saddles up, brushes, hoof care, bathes(in summer) and does all horse care all on her own. We are very happy where she is. PM if you want the name and number.

We are having a show on the weekend if you want to check it out. Woodacres