Expert Forum User

Arrow Looking for advice etc. about Home Parties and shopping parties....

As some of you know I've recently been invovled with a company that does home parties/showers etc. I am looking for feedback from any of you who do shopping parties/home parties. Specifically:

What makes you decide to host a party?

Who do you usually invite/what type of a turn out do you get?

Have you ever been involved yourself with anything that does party/catalogue: i.e. Stampin Up, Avon, Tupperware, Jewelery / Purse parties etc. ?

What do you like about attending a party? What do you dislike?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/info you have!
    Last edited by punchanella; 06-10-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

If I were to host, it would depend on the incentives that I would get but also as to whether or not it would make a fun evening for the girls. Tupperware parties are not my thing, but I would do a purse or spa type party.

Usually close friends and co-workers. Often those that turn up are usually there though for the party and not to actually purchase. LOL

Have you ever been involved yourself with anything that does party/catalogue: i.e. Stampin Up, Avon, Tupperware, Jewelery / Purse parties etc. ?
    No, I have not.

I enjoy being able to do some shopping without having to leave the house (LOL) and I like the socialization aspect of it.
    I dislike that the majority of the parties you do not get to take your purchases home that evening. I hate having to wait for things to arrive.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Expert Forum User

thanks! That's great feedback. Much appreciated.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    As some of you know I've recently been invovled with a company that does home parties/showers etc. I am looking for feedback from any of you who do shopping parties/home parties. Specifically:

at the time, it was a favor- however the freebies were nice too.
    friends, not too sure i would invite family to 'certain' parties.
    I have done Avon, been to a Tupperware and Fantasia party.
    socializing with humans i mean adults, prizes, learning new things. o and the food.
    Thanks in advance for any feedback/info you have!
    hope that helped!

Expert Forum User

thanks Mrs.S I appreciate the info!

Normally if it's something I am interested in, I'll do it. The less work I have to do, the better. And the freebies are always good!

Depends on the party. I think a fantasia party definately has it's limits on who to invite.

Have you ever been involved yourself with anything that does party/catalogue?

I've hosted 3 Epicure parties now, and been considering becoming a consultant because the parties normally do so well. I've been to Partylite, Pampered Chef, and Tupperware parties.

I don't like feeling pressured into ANYTHING. Whether it's buying product, hosting a party, or becoming involved with the company. If the product is good, it usually sells itself. If it's a good company, people like to be involved. Pressure just makes me want to walk away from it all.
    ~ Emmy's Mum

Expert Forum User

Wow! GReat feedback Emmy's Mum! Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to answer my questions!

Expert Forum User

I've never hosted one, but have been to a few, tupperware, alouette, and a couple others . For me honestly it's all about the food lol, gives you something to do if you don't know anyone, and well, eating is always good! The other thing is I like to be able to take the form home and fill it out at my leisure, a couple I've been to made you order then and there, and give payment. I'm OK with payment up front, just not having to decide at the party itself kwim? eta: I probably sound so greedy lol! What I am meaning to say is the only thing you I ever hear about from these parties is the food, and that makes people want to go again, and bring friends kwim? And I'd never go to more than 1 party without buying some stuff personally, so it's good if people enjoyed themselves for repeat business I think!
    Last edited by RetroMama; 06-11-2009 at 01:47 PM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Something that is easy to sell - either something we all need, or that is affordable, or a wide variety, or so on. I can't see a party just for candles or just for purses, kwim...that wouldn't draw me in so I wouldn't invite others to it. Not my style and not interesting enough to a wide enough range of people. Who do you usually invite/what type of a turn out do you get?
    Neighbours, friends, family if nearby, and aalways tell them they can bring friends. I've seen many people do facebook stuff for parties too, which is neat because you can pass details on to your friends.

I like the social time, the idea of getting to buy stuff , usually there's some sort of freebie yo uwalk away with, too. I don't like when you get to a new sort of party, find out it takes weeks to get the items or the prices are all really high or that shipping costs a lot extra or so on. I like to see a price, know it's that much, I can pay it by cheque or cash, and will have th eitem w/in two weeks.I don't want to wonder if it'll bein by Christmas, or before someone's baby arrives - two weeks max.
    Also hate having to figure in my own taxes or shipping. I am there to enjoy myself and shop - not humiliate myself
    Thanks in advance for any feedback/info you have![/QUOTE]
    NP
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

wow allie - very valid points about having the shipping etc all figured out. does it make sense to advertise a 'pre-shop' showing the items online so that people have an idea what they are looking at?

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I think a preshop would be a great idea!
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~