Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default drug dealing in the neighborhood

So I am just going to vent for a minute or two here...

We have lived in our house for 2 years now and since we moved in we have watched a guy who lives down the street selling drugs up and down our street. He walks up and down the street all day having little exchanges with random people, and in the last 8 months has also started getting picked up in strange cars and dropped off again just around the corner.

At first we thought it was just pot and didn't really care, but now it's evident that he is selling more serious drugs (I've witnessed the hand-offs). I called the police in the fall when I noticed a lot of strange cars coming and going (that and they were often stopping just in front of my house!). However, the police didn't care/say they can't do anything about it! They told me that unless he offers me drugs then my complaints can't be addressed, and even then....?

I was frustrated then, but even more so now. I was sitting on our front step last week while DS was playing on our lawn and witnessed 2 deals right in front of me. I stared straight at him the whole time, but the guy is totally bold and while I know he saw me he just ignored my stares.

We live in a nice neighborhood and we will hopefully be staying here for many years, but seriously- is there nothing I can do to get this activity stopped? I've thought of just walking over and asking him not to conduct business in front of my property, but I don't know what kind of guy he is and I don't want future trouble with him. Should I just keep calling the police? They treated me like I was some suspicious, nothing better to do with my time, worrier- sitting at the window watching for trouble in the hood and seemed to just disregard my complaint.

Any thoughts?

Expert Forum User

I am sorry to hear that the police did not take you seriously. Maybe you got someone on a bad day? I would try calling the police again and talking to someone else. Then I would call again. And again. What's that saying about the squeaky wheel getting the grease? This is a serious issue and they need to listen to your concerns!

When I lived in Windsor I witnessed an assault and kidnapping in front of my apartment. I called the cops and they were not concerned! Turned out to be an undercover operation that they knew about. Any chance of something like that??? Because otherwise I have no idea why they are not looking into it further.

Good luck!

I don't know... we have lived here for 2 years and he has been doing it in the open the whole time, so I would assume they aren't acting on any undercover ops over it. Sometimes I wonder if any of the other neighbors have called as well.... other than the ones that are his customers that is...

It happens everywhere. Infact its going on in my neighbourhood not far away (enough said). But they way I see it is, they are not bothering me, they have their customers and thats that. Im not going to cause trouble with them...I have 4 children, my husband works nights...we park in a parking lot not in a private driveway...So If I keep my mouth shut..alls good...We leave them alone, They leave us alone.

I just asked DH who is a police officer and he agrees that there really isn't much you can do except maybe continue to complain. The only way he will get caught is if an under cover cop decides to bust him. That is one of the many flaws in our justice system. I guess it is because it is hear say and there is no direct proof that he is dealing. You can't arrest someone just because the neighbour down the road thinks he is up to no good.
    I would suggest that you and your neighbours get together and complain. Perhaps if enough of you do it continuously, than the police in your area might be more inclined to bust him. Just a thought.

MBM
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

Expert Forum User

Same thing was happening in a 'nice family' neighbourhood in Guelph and I was told the same thing by the police. This other 'family' were as you said 'bold' and would do as they pleased with a blatant disreguard for any law. Most of us in the neighbourhood did nothing to provok this guy because we too did not know what he might be capable of (I was told to keep my kids away from him). Most of us have sinced moved.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by momof2and2
    ...So If I keep my mouth shut..alls good...We leave them alone, They leave us alone.
    That's a scary way to view it. It's not harmless. Children are not oblivious, they will see this and if they don't ask questions, they are still curious about it. Even young children know what "drugs" are. Why tolerate it as if it's "Ok"? What happens when an argument over the "deals" breaks out into violence, right on your street? We witnessed a guy getting beat up by five other guys, right in front of the house we're moving to (it's my MIL's house), and I was on the front lawn playing with my kids. I called the cops. They came out and took a report.

I call the cops every single f*ing time I walk through the shortcut to my kids school and the stupid highschool kids are sitting in there smoking pot. IT IS ILLEGAL TO POSSESS/TRAFFIC/DO DRUGS!! You are not "complaining" you are Reporting a Crime. The cops drive through there now, and it's hilarious to see the kids scatter. There is NO reason to accept this. Call and call and call and if they ***** at you, tell them that you are reporting a crime, you pay taxes for their services, and would they like you to take it into your own hands (they don't). Tell them that all they need to do is send a cruiser through the street everyonce in a while. They only need to witness it once to bust the guy.

Mump&Grump_Mom

I would probably set up outside with my video camera, obviously filming the exchanges. If the guy looses business because buyers don't want to be filmed, he might shove off.

You could even put up a nice LARGE sign "SMILE...You are on Camera!"

Sarah

Maybe crime stoppers could help? I don't k now if they do or not...but if they do then you could get $ out of it...lol

April 14, 2001-May 05, 2001
    April 29, 2015

Quote Originally Posted by katinthehat
    Maybe crime stoppers could help? I don't k now if they do or not...but if they do then you could get $ out of it...lol
    I once called Crime Stoppers 'cause a group of teenagers were sitting on their porch smoking pot. There were little kids playing just feet away from them. Anyway, CS just told me to call the cops which I did. They sent a cruiser around but I don't think anything came of it.
    I agree that unless a cop actually drives by at the moment he's doing a deal they can't bust him. But maybe the fact that cops are driving up and down the street a bit more regularly might make him think twice about selling there?
    Mom to Ali (3) & Eva (1)

Administrator Site Admin

I can tell you that the squeaky wheel gets the oil b/c in our neighbourhood we believe that it is happening late at night in the school parking lot. I have a neighbour that is very involved in putting a stop to this and we actually have a cell phone number to the police officer in the area so that we can call everytime we see something and they come fairly quickly. We've also been told to call 911 should we see an exchange taking place as they can send someone right away and hopefully catch them. They are trespassing on the school property so if the police get there before they leave they can search the car just for the trespassing. We also record all plate numbers and discriptions of all cars that go in and out at night!

It has made a big difference already I hope that it will continue untill it is gone.

The officer told us that the best we can hope for is to get them out of our neighbourhood. He was very clear that the police won't be able to drive them away, it will us as a community that makes that difference. They will just find somewhere else where the people don't make any effort to stop them. Perhaps that's why it's still happening in the area's where you don't bother them??

If everyone had a "NOT in my Neighbourhood" attitude perhaps they would eventually run out of places??

You will NOT change anything if you don't try.
    Leslie

Zoo

My mother-in-law and a couple of neighbours discovered that one of the houses on their street had turned into a crackhouse. They called the police over and over again. Every time they saw something, they reported it. They got treated rudely on more than one occasion. At one point my mil even went to the door to tell them they might as well move on because they would not rest until they were gone.

Eventually, the police raided the house and removed AN ARSENAL OF AUTOMATIC WEAPONS.

Keep at it. I don't recommend confronting the person at ALL. Just report every deal you see. Good luck.

And thanks for the info about the school, Leslie. I'm starting to think we have a similar situation going on, and I'm glad to know about the trespassing thing!

we have a similar situation with our next door neighbour- the smoke weed on theur back porch (which doesn't really bug me, but really bothers dh), and constantly have rude ppl coming and going to pick up.. they often block our driveway and they have been hostile and rude to dh/ds when we asked them to move out of the driveway so we could get to an appt.. I report it to their landlord... getting them evicted seems more realistuc than arrested.
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

bikruca, you should call the police as well, every time. EVEN if you get an asshat that answers the phone, each complaint is documented. My friend had a problem with a neighbour in his building, the landlord refused to get involved. The police told him after Xnumber of complaints, they would then have the authority to step in and resolve the dispute. They took the guy down to the station, it shook him up that our friend was serious about it. It may not bother you that they smoke it (personally it does not "bother" me that people do it), but they should not be outside, people should not be dealing it out, and they should not be blocking you and being rude. IT IS ILLEGAL.

Expert Forum User

I have to agree with you Leslie. A while back my husband and I were sitting on our front step at midnight on a Saturday night.(company had just left) We saw 4 cars turn into the school parking lot and go back in around the school. We decided to call the police and within 10 mins there were 2 police cars there. When my husband called the person he talked to said he did the right thing and "those people" will find somewhere else to go! We always keep an eye out and so far haven't seen aything else!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast