Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Tube feeding mommy's

how much water does your child get in a day thorugh the tube?
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

I "flush" with 10ml after each feed is done...and that is her water...but in the summer I tend to give her extra on hot days...or let her have a spray bottle that is on mist to spray in her mouth...now that she is aloud to have liquids by mouth and she can ask for it I give her some when she asks...I don't measure it though...I just put some in her "water bottle" for her when she asks.

April 14, 2001-May 05, 2001
    April 29, 2015

interesting..we use to jsut flush with 10 mls after every feed and meds.and she does drink some by mouth..but its whenever she wants so somedays its a lot..others its none.

Now since we are switching her formula, we were told to give 200 mls of water thorughout the day on top of the feeds..jsut seems likea lot to me.

I was told a number to give her extra for water in the summer...but I umm forgot what that number was...but that was last summer when she wasn't able to have liquids by mouth too...I have to check at the next G-tube clinic how much water she should be getting extra in the summer.
    I think that it also depends on the formula too and how diluted and stuff it is.

April 29, 2015

Expert Forum User

The amount of water is calculated based on water in the formula. So some have more water in them and therefore you need to give less. Right now we flush with 10 and he is allowed to drink what he wants (sometimes this is none) but he is not required to.

what formula is everyone on?

Expert Forum User

Pediasure and Pediasure Plus with Fibre

We generally use Good Start but have been using some Enfamil lately (lactose reduced since his last big bout of vomiting). We just increased his calorie count so are to flush with 10-15 mls before and after each feed. This in addition to his med flushes...but since he was so liquidy sounding we have only used the 10mls after meds (which are before meals) and after the feeds. He currently does not take anything by mouth!

We use Peptamen Junior...its made by Nestle

April 29, 2015

Expert Forum User

Also there is an actual calculation, based on weight, for how much fluids a person needs in a day. (not considering cirumstances of specific health needs, like ummmm, a heart transplant...kidney diseases, obviously needs are tailored to the child) They may have you adding the extra water as she isn't getting the fluids she needs to keep hydrated by her formula alone. They would more likely calculate the formula amount based on caloric and nutritional needs, not fluid needs. So the water takes care of that. Am I making sence? I think adding extra fluids is reasonable when it is hot (as anyone would do with or without feeding tubes) and if they are sick with fever fluid needs increase. As a parent I'd use the same guidelines as with my other kids, if they are thirsty because they have been running and playing, sweating from the heat, give them some water.

Routinely I would always flush feeds and meds with 10 unless I was instructed otherwise, as with a fluid restriction (heart, kidney guidelines from that team...) Did a dietician not give you these specific details?

Ops, sorry just re-read, you were told 200 mls on top of her feeds. That is about the size of a sippy cup. Doesn't seem as much if you think of it outside of the syringe. How much does she weigh? It probably seems like a lot to you 'cause she's growing and more than you are used to seeing?
    Last edited by lilabelle; 06-06-2009 at 11:16 PM.