Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hypothyroidism?

Quote Originally Posted by eversoclever View Post
    Any suggestions? I'm open to pretty much anything.
    And when you find out from her, let me know!
    Mama to TWO little sweetie pies!!

I've found this site very helpful, especially at the beginning of my diagnoses and treatment.

Thyroid Disease Information - Hypothyroidism - Hyperthyroidism - Thyroid Cancer - Autoimmune Disease - Hashimoto's - Graves' - Goiter - Nodules

Mary Shomon has written great books and knows her research wrt thyroid issues.

I've been hypo for almost 10 years. I keep track of my numbers and my symptoms and there are differences between the US and Canada in terms of what levels are considered treatable, etc (i.e. usually, TSH over 5 or more is treated in Canada where in the US its 3 or more). My doctor is willing to work with me based more on my symptoms (chronic constipation, depression, dry skin, fatigue, weight gain, etc.) than on the numbers and I really appreciate that!

There are a lot of things that docs gloss over with hypo - like T3. It's a hormone that is made by the thyroid but is also made in the body when T4 breaks down, so most people have enough from the T4 breakdown and don't need supplementation but some people don't breakdown T4 as well and without the T3 from the thyroid they feel more fatigued, etc. and need to take Cytomel (synthetic T3) or Armour (dessicated pig thyroid) which has both T4 and T3. Most docs don't even look for T3 in the bloodwork unless you ask.

Some docs will test to see if your hypo is autoimmune Hashimotos vs. other types. If it is autoimmune you are more likely to have a "family history" of thyroid issues and should be aware of it for your kids, etc.

There are some natural things that can help, but it needs to be treated to protect you from some of the severe issues that can happen.

From the thyroid.about.com site
    Hypothyroid? The Risks of Not Taking Your Thyroid Hormone Replacement Medication

If you are hypothyroid -- whether due to Hashimoto's, Graves' disease treatment, thyroid surgery, or congenital hypothyroidism -- failing to take your thyroid hormone replacement medication can pose a number of risks to your health. These risks can include the following:
    • Blood pressure irregularities
    • Low body temperature, feeling perpetually cold
    • Fatigue
    • Depression
    • Memory problems
    • Elevated cholesterol, treatment-resistant high cholesterol
    • Weight gain
    • Infertility
    • Miscarriage
    • Stillbirth
    • Premature labor
    • Menstrual irregularities
    • Loss or reduction of sex drive
    • Muscle weakness
    • Constipation
    • Joint or muscle pain
    • Hair loss
    • Swollen hands, feet and face
    • Growth of thyroid nodules, increasing goiter size
    • Increased risk of heart disease
    • Increased risk of infection
    • Myxedema coma and death
    So even if you want to go the natural route, please make sure you are getting checked by your doctor, too!
    MonsterMom

Workout addict, ultimate procrasinator, English student and knitter.

For legal reasons i can't make any recommendations as a practitioner without doing a full assessment and health history as well as having a client consent and agreement signed. This forum is simply meant as a place to discuss personal opinion. There are safe natural methods that have proven to be quite successful and thyroid imbalance(if that is what is the issue) does have a cause which would need to be addressed as well. Getting to the root of the problem is in my opinion your best preventative health measure.
    Vanessa Case RHN
    Registered Holistic Nutritionist
    www.ournaturalconnection.com
    Creator of 10 Day Whole Food Detox!
    FB: www.facebook.com/ournaturalconnection
    Twitter: vanessa_onc
    Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vanessacaserhn/
    BLOG: www.ournaturalconnectin.com/apps/blog

Any comments made on this forum are expressed as a personal opinion and comment. A full professional assessment is necessary to make proper recommendations specific to YOUR needs.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMom View Post
    There are a lot of things that docs gloss over with hypo - like T3. It's a hormone that is made by the thyroid but is also made in the body when T4 breaks down, so most people have enough from the T4 breakdown and don't need supplementation but some people don't breakdown T4 as well and without the T3 from the thyroid they feel more fatigued, etc. and need to take Cytomel (synthetic T3) or Armour (dessicated pig thyroid) which has both T4 and T3. Most docs don't even look for T3 in the bloodwork unless you ask.

T3 and T4 numbers are just as important as the TSH number. DS was tested for TSH only when his reg paed was away. The covering paed started him on meds even though I told him he was not showing any symptoms of Hypo. Well, within weeks he was screaming whenever the sun was near his face (sensitivity to light), sweating all the time, and such. Went back to his reg paed and she redid the bloodwork and included the T3 and T4 tests. Both of those were fine. So, even though his TSH came up as hypo, his body was making up for it and T3 and T4 were balanced. We stopped his meds and all the Hyper symptoms stopped, too. I'm sooooooooo happy that I had experience with both ends of it!
    Last edited by tansie; 07-06-2009 at 08:38 AM.
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

I know some people really don't like taking medicine, but for hypothyroidism it is necessary. The daily pill is providing the hormones that a healthy thyroid would be distributing into your body. This pill is fine all through pregnancy and nursing. Periodic blood tests are good to monitor your levels.

Some people may prefer to take medication, others may not. There is a whole mind body spirit connection to the thyroid gland that can work alongside the medical perspective to balance out the body. For those who prefer to explore the alternative side, there certainly are options that they can research to make that decision or integrate into their current regime. It isn't so cut and dry for everyone. Each person is a unique biochemical individual and should be treated as such.
    Vanessa Case RHN
    Registered Holistic Nutritionist
    www.ournaturalconnection.com
    Creator of 10 Day Whole Food Detox!
    FB: www.facebook.com/ournaturalconnection
    Twitter: vanessa_onc
    Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vanessacaserhn/
    BLOG: www.ournaturalconnectin.com/apps/blog

Any comments made on this forum are expressed as a personal opinion and comment. A full professional assessment is necessary to make proper recommendations specific to YOUR needs.

Quote Originally Posted by casevc5 View Post
    Some people may prefer to take medication, others may not. There is a whole mind body spirit connection to the thyroid gland that can work alongside the medical perspective to balance out the body. For those who prefer to explore the alternative side, there certainly are options that they can research to make that decision or integrate into their current regime. It isn't so cut and dry for everyone. Each person is a unique biochemical individual and should be treated as such.
    Just want to add that even if you decide not to go the medication route you need to have your levels checked to make sure your body is okay.

And there are various reasons for a thyroid to stop functioning - like my autoimmune disorder (the Hashimotos) where my own body is killing it, or other damage (radiation exposure, etc.).
    MonsterMom

Workout addict, ultimate procrasinator, English student and knitter.

I've downsized to a sweet little yellow brick home in Old East. My backyard is a haven for birds :)

I'm waiting for the blood test results for hypothyroidism. The lab form had TSH checked but there weren't check boxes labelled T3 and/or T4. Wondering if my doc should have indicated those as well?
    Love seeketh not itself to please,
    Nor for itself hath any care,
    But for another gives its ease,
    And builds a Heaven in Hell's despair.

- William Blake (1757 - 1827)

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Old gal View Post
    I'm waiting for the blood test results for hypothyroidism. The lab form had TSH checked but there weren't check boxes labelled T3 and/or T4. Wondering if my doc should have indicated those as well?
    It's rare (in my experience) for T3 and T4 to be balanced when your TSH is out. Usually you would start with just the TSH, but if meds aren't helping or TSH is still out of whack when it seems it shouldn't be, then T3 and/or T4 are also checked... at least that was the case for me!
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Expert Forum User

My DD was sent to a great doc in London. She has hypothyroidism. Treatment depends on the type of thyroid issue you have. My DD has a strain that sabatoges itself and stops reacting to the meds. She is so out of control as far as weight and hairloss and moodiness. Every few months they have to change her meds.
    moving sucks

I've downsized to a sweet little yellow brick home in Old East. My backyard is a haven for birds :)

Thanks for the feedback. I still haven't heard back from my doctor's office but hope I get some news this week. A friend of mine who was diagnosed last year as hypothyroid said she felt like she 'got her life back' once she started the right meds.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by tansie View Post
    I was about 19 when I was first diagnosed. My thyroid then was working at 275% of normal! No wonder I could eat crap all day long and not weigh a pound over 120 (and I'm 5'8“)!
    But, the extreme mood swings were giving it away...that and the sweating, hot flashes, weight loss, etc...
    Unfortunately, the meds would not regulate my thyroid. Tried for a number of years. Endocrinologist suggested (since I hadn't had my kids yet and planned to - hyper can case miscarriages) that I do the radioiodine. Bad thing is, because my body was so used to be “hyper“, now that it's not my metabolism is shot all to heck. Le sigh.
    Yep, mom went through all that too. Her dose still isn't 'right' either and they have tried many many times. She was VERY moody too, oh boy was she ever lol!

I'm at a complete loss now. Everything I read seemed to fit hypothyroid but my blood tests are all 'normal' so I go back to the doctor next week.

eta - I sure don't feel 'normal'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12