Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Hypothyroidism?

  1. #1
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,343
    Rep Power
    482

    Post Hypothyroidism?

    Anyone out there have this? I've been losing hair since Simon was born and ignoring that fact, hoping it would just stop. But he's 15 months old now and I have all of the other symptoms.

    Ugh, talk to me ladies. Is it easily treated?

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Beautiful Collingwood
    Posts
    15,422
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    A pill a day for the rest of your life. Easy peasy. A blood test to diagnose. A blood test a year to make sure your prescription is right.

  3. #3
    Expert Forum User Jessica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,527
    Rep Power
    205

    Default

    very easily, daily pill and bi monthly blood tests. sucks but ya do what ya have to!

  4. #4
    Banned

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    purgatory :(
    Posts
    20,979
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    no expereince but hugs. I think the above ladies, have said it

  5. #5
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! PancakeMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Strath-Vegas!
    Posts
    10,722
    Rep Power
    449

    Default

    Yup, me too. I was diagnosed after my first child. Apparently it is often pregnancy induced. No worries, and the hair grows back


    Everything I love is illegal, immoral or fattening.

  6. #6
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,343
    Rep Power
    482

    Default

    Ugh, I just feel so crappy. Ignoring it probably isn't helping. I'm not even 100% sure that it's the problem, or the *only* problem -- but my mom and grandma and aunts had/have it, so...

    Losing hair, fatigue, depression, muscle aches, brittle nails, dry hair, dry skin... man, I am looking and feeling HAWT these days.

  7. #7
    Expert Forum User
    tansie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Strathroy
    Posts
    9,576
    Rep Power
    530

    Default

    Yup, sounds like it!
    I am hypothyroid, but only because I was hyperthyroid and was regulating with meds. I had my thyroid basically killed over with radioiodine and now have 10% thyroid function (instead of 220%!)
    As the pp's said. Daily pill, probably more frequent tests for the first little while til your med level is right for you, and then annual bloodwork.
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood


    The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown


  8. #8
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,335
    Rep Power
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tansie View Post
    Yup, sounds like it!
    I am hypothyroid, but only because I was hyperthyroid and was regulating with meds. I had my thyroid basically killed over with radioiodine and now have 10% thyroid function (instead of 220%!)
    As the pp's said. Daily pill, probably more frequent tests for the first little while til your med level is right for you, and then annual bloodwork.
    My mom went through this exact same thing a few years ago. She had graves disease (hyperthyroidism) and had her thyrpid zapped. Now she's hypothyroid and on pills everyday for life.

  9. #9
    Expert Forum User
    tansie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Strathroy
    Posts
    9,576
    Rep Power
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    My mom went through this exact same thing a few years ago. She had graves disease (hyperthyroidism) and had her thyrpid zapped. Now she's hypothyroid and on pills everyday for life.
    I was about 19 when I was first diagnosed. My thyroid then was working at 275% of normal! No wonder I could eat crap all day long and not weigh a pound over 120 (and I'm 5'8")!
    But, the extreme mood swings were giving it away...that and the sweating, hot flashes, weight loss, etc...
    Unfortunately, the meds would not regulate my thyroid. Tried for a number of years. Endocrinologist suggested (since I hadn't had my kids yet and planned to - hyper can case miscarriages) that I do the radioiodine. Bad thing is, because my body was so used to be "hyper", now that it's not my metabolism is shot all to heck. Le sigh.
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood


    The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown


  10. #10
    Expert Forum User
    SydandPaige'sMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Sarnia
    Posts
    4,803
    Rep Power
    536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tansie View Post
    I was about 19 when I was first diagnosed. My thyroid then was working at 275% of normal! No wonder I could eat crap all day long and not weigh a pound over 120 (and I'm 5'8")!
    But, the extreme mood swings were giving it away...that and the sweating, hot flashes, weight loss, etc...
    Unfortunately, the meds would not regulate my thyroid. Tried for a number of years. Endocrinologist suggested (since I hadn't had my kids yet and planned to - hyper can case miscarriages) that I do the radioiodine. Bad thing is, because my body was so used to be "hyper", now that it's not my metabolism is shot all to heck. Le sigh.
    This was me right after having Syd. I was diagnosed with Graves Disease and had my thyroid killed off twice. I hate the lack of metabolism as well With the crazy weight gain in the last few years sometimes I think back that being hyper wasn't all that bad and sometimes regret having the treatment. Crazy as it is, i know, because I know how bad hyper is for you, your heart, etc.

    edited to add that I also now have hypothyroidism and as everyone said one pill a day (that i find really hard to remember for some reason) and a blood test every so often.
    Lori, Mom to Sydney, Paige and Easton

  11. #11
    Ana
    Ana is offline
    Expert Forum User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    7,158
    Rep Power
    311

    Default

    You might try seeing a Homeopathic doctor. I had many symptoms of Graves disease and he gave me a remedy that did get rid of the symtoms. I have bloodwork with my physical done every couple of years and the regular doctor hasnt mentioned any thyroid problems. Its worth a shot!

  12. #12
    Expert Forum User
    tansie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Strathroy
    Posts
    9,576
    Rep Power
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
    You might try seeing a Homeopathic doctor. I had many symptoms of Graves disease and he gave me a remedy that did get rid of the symtoms. I have bloodwork with my physical done every couple of years and the regular doctor hasnt mentioned any thyroid problems. Its worth a shot!
    I tell ya, I sure wish that was an option for me... but with a thyroid that only operates at 10% of normal function - because the rest of it is "dead," those daily meds are a necessity!
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood


    The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown


  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Byron
    Posts
    278
    Rep Power
    32

    Default

    I noticed something was wrong when I lost my AF for months and started gaining weight. After a blood test I found that I was hypothyroid - after taking medication for a couple of months my blood levels returned to normal and the symptoms subsided (still working on some of the weight though) Now it's just a little pill everyday.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    casevc5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    london ontario
    Posts
    2,082
    Rep Power
    118

    Default

    Although the thyroid pill will reduce symptoms of hypothyroid, lack of thyroid function does affect many other areas of the body. You could try to balance the thyroid naturally. There are many effective ways through nutrition and supplements to do so.
    Vanessa Case RHN
    Registered Holistic Nutritionist
    www.ournaturalconnection.com
    Creator of 10 Day Whole Food Detox!
    FB: www.facebook.com/ournaturalconnection
    Twitter: vanessa_onc
    Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vanessacaserhn/
    BLOG: www.ournaturalconnectin.com/apps/blog

    Any comments made on this forum are expressed as a personal opinion and comment. A full professional assessment is necessary to make proper recommendations specific to YOUR needs.

  15. #15
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    11,343
    Rep Power
    482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by casevc5 View Post
    Although the thyroid pill will reduce symptoms of hypothyroid, lack of thyroid function does affect many other areas of the body. You could try to balance the thyroid naturally. There are many effective ways through nutrition and supplements to do so.
    Any suggestions? I'm open to pretty much anything.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •