Default Ending Gym Membership

I signed up for a year contract with Premier Fitness in March...and now weve decided to move out of the city this summer. Im assuming time we figure things out we wont be moved until August. Sooo how do I begin to end this membership early? Or things I should know cause Ive heard gyms can be veryyy mean when it comes to money! Of course the one time I decide to take the plunge and get a membership since college...we move! lol.

Do you still have your contracts? Read through the fine print and then if you gave them your credit card number, put a stop on the payments.
    Be very thorough, they will not give you all the info about cancelling unless you know what to ask (which you won't know until they take your money down the road)
    I had a bad experience, everything is in the fine print so be diligent..

Expert Forum User

Make sure you get copies of EVERYTHING - the cancellation etc.. if you can send anything registered mail so you can prove they received it.
    I know several people who have had hard times getting out of contracts (or even to stop paying for an expired contract).

Red

I've had some less than stellar experiences with Premier Fitness, and one thing I have come to know is: 1) Be VERY careful about the contracts that you sign - read the fine print before you sign anything, and 2) A contract is a contract, and they'll hold you to it.

Good luck but be prepared for a losing battle.

ETA: Is it possible to transfer your membership to another Premier in your new city? This would be a more favourable option than trying to cancel outright.

Expert Forum User

my husband and i ended our memberships early. we called and told them we were moving and they ended up finding someone on their own to take it over... we had to pay no fees or anything. we were pretty happy and suprised they did that because i have heard other people getting screwed. i know on kijiji a lot of people try and get someone to take it over that way.

Expert Forum User

i had a goodlife membership on contract.
    when i got pregnant I put it on hold
    after i had the baby i got pregnant again before i went back
    then my year was uo so i just cancellled
    nak

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Funny Dh had a membership, he ended up not using it signed it over to me and I used it for 3 months and then couldn't use it anymore so i walked in said I need to cancel my membership ..reason:__ and they had me sign off on it and said only one more month of payments will be withdrawn and thats it. ..then what does Dh go and do but sign with Golds. *shakes head* he ended up putting a hold on that one for now too.