Thread: When do kids...

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default When do kids...

I'm completely clueless and I keep reading things, but I'm not sure if my advice is coming from overzealous moms...
    When do kids:
    1. Eat with utensils? (spoon, fork)
    2. Eat off a plate? (instead of just dumping it and eating of their tray )
    3. Sleep with a pillow?
    4. Sleep in a bed instead of crib?
    5. Sleep with sheets on top?
    6. Go into full-time toilet training mode?
    7. Drink from an open cup on their own?

Is it time for me to be thinking about this stuff? Am I slow bc DD does none of them! :|
    Ah... the trials of a first child :P

Expert Forum User

All children do things at their own time, but here are the ages that my DS#1 was when he did the things that you are asking about.

1. Eat with utensils?
    Spoon - we started to give it to him at meal times at a little over a year and he could use it pretty well, with little mess at about 18 months.

Fork - Once he could eat with a spoon we began to try to give him a fork. For awhile he would just scoop with it (as if it were a spoon) but he was using it to spear food by about 2.

2. Eat off a plate?
    15 months

3. Sleep with a pillow?
    When we moved him out of his crib at 2 years.

2 years

When we moved him out of his crib.

Still has no interest and he'll be 3 at the end of July.

He learned this from taking sips from my water cups which are all over the house. He could do it on his own without spilling by around 20 months.

As I said before, all children do everything on there own time. These are just the ages for my first DS and I'm sure with DS#2 it will be different as he has a totally different personality than his brother. As for the feeding herself and drinking from a cup, just give her lots of chance to practice without worrying about a mess and it will come. HTH
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Expert Forum User

I agree every child is different. Here's how my son did things.

I started offering a spoon at a year. At 16ish months he demanded my fork and learned to use it proficiantly after that (my MIL was horrified by the "danger"). His spoon proficiancy soon followed.

2. Eat off a plate? (instead of just dumping it and eating of their tray)
    At about a year? He's always been a self feeder, we basically skipped babyfood because he didn't like anything on a spoon. He was eatting 100% fingerfoods unusually early (like 9 months).

3. Sleep with a pillow?
    When he moved to his big bed.

16 months, which is unusually early but it worked for him.

He has always refused to sleep with sheets and blankets. He just turned 2.

Not yet.

He can drink from a cup, and I'll offer one when he's sitting at the table, but sippys are easier for Mommy. I started offering a cup with a few tablespoons of water at about 11 months. I found it best to start when they still sit in a highchair so the tray can catch the messes.

Banned

I agree with PP - every child is different. Here's my experience (from what I can remember ).

Around age 10 months or so mine would start grabbing at the spoon I was using to feed them, so at that point I would give them a spoon of their own, and while they were trying to figure out how to get it to work I would slip some food into their mouth! It just progressed from there.

Probably around 1 year? When they were proficient with finger foods. Which is not to say that it didn't get dumped still! Thank God for dogs I say.

3. Sleep with a pillow?
    When they moved out of a crib, except for DD#2, who never slept in a crib. She has always slept with me so there has always been a pillow near her anyway, I'm not sure she uses it to this day and she just turned 2.

DS#1 moved at 15 months - I wanted to make sure he was comfortable in his bed before the new baby arrived. Ditto with DD#1. I tried to move them about 3 months before the new baby arrived so they wouldn't feel booted out of the crib. Not an issue with DD#2 since she wouldn't sleep in the crib to begin with.

DS#1 always likes to huddle under something, even in winter, and has probably been like that since birth. Neither DD likes sheets or covers and if I try to cover them up they kick it off. I just make sure they are "dressed appropriately".

Ha! DS#1 never went into full-time toilet training mode - I had to force the issue and that was after he had turned 4 DD#1 didn't really go into full time mode either. I left her to it (because I was having such a hard time with her brother) and a couple of months after he was trained she was trained, but it was quite sudden and involved very little effort on my part. DD#2 shows no interest really although if I ask her to sit on the toilet she will, she hasn't produced anything there yet.

I give the three oldest an open cup of water while we are at the table - that way I can monitor what's going on and if it spills it's no big deal. Otherwise they have sippy cups because that makes my life easier. My just-turned 2 year old can drink quite well out of an open cup, and probably has been able to for about 6 months, but then she has the motivation of older siblings.

Try not to stress too much. It's always difficult with the first because you don't know what the norm is. In your head you know that "all children develop at their own pace" but you would still like your child to hit those milestones right now!!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Re: When do kids...

With Benjamin we started early with trying to get him to use them, He uses the fork but not the spoon, so i would say maybe 15 months

2. Eat off a plate? (instead of just dumping it and eating of their
    tray )
    It was a year

3. Sleep with a pillow?
    15 months when we put him in his own bed
    15 months, when you put them in your own bed
    15 months, but its when you put them in there own bed!

Hasnt yet, doesnt want to!

Benjamin can do it but we give my cups with straws!

Every child is different, i really wouldnt worry to much!
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

1. Eat with utensils? (spoon, fork) ~~ we started to give dd a spoon around a year or so. Well before that she would hold one while I feed her. Fork probably not long after she used the plastic ones so there was no danger of her getting hurt.

2. Eat off a plate? (instead of just dumping it and eating of their tray ) ~~ I always gave the food on a plate or in a bowl. DD never ate baby food just whatever we were eating.

3. Sleep with a pillow? ~~ just over a year but just a real small one. I bought one of those travel pillows took out some of the stuffing and sewed it back up and it worked really great.

4. Sleep in a bed instead of crib? ~~We moved her at about 18 months. We always had a twin bed in her room and she was asking to sleep in her big bed. It was a very smooth transition.

5. Sleep with sheets on top?~~ um mine have always had a blanket or two over top of them. Tucked in tight at the bottom and the sides.

6. Go into full-time toilet training mode? ~~At age of 2.( she trained in a week) started sitting on the toilet before getting in the bath( usually peed since the running water would make her pee on the floor while waiting to get in) and at some diaper changes at 18 months,.

7. Drink from an open cup on their own? At a year I would give her a very small glass of water to drink from at meal times. It took a month or so before she stopped wearing it!!

As the others mentioned every child is different. They'll all do these things at their own pace or when you feel it is a good time to start teaching them. I wouldn't sweat it.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

1. utensils- Alice started using a spoon successfully by herself from the get go at 5months, sometimes she prefers her hands

2. plate- Rarely, when little it wasn't a problem, now it eventually ends up on her head or the floor, but that usually means shes finished

3. pillow- was curious myself about this

4. bed- hoping to wait for awhile...thought when the time came I'd just take the side of her crib and put a stool out for her? Not sure?

5. sheets- after about 4 months we put blankets on her, it was fall.

6. potty training- am considering starting within the next 3 to 6 months, she is displaying an understanding and requests to be changed when she goes...she almost ready I think

7. open cup- she started to the other day when I wasn't looking...messy. So I went and got her a small cup to use, and after about three days she can almost do it. Keep towels handy or let them practice outside!

It's so amazing how they all do things their own way, and when they are ready. All babies are unique!
    Motherhood Rocks!

Baby Alice, May 15/06

Default Re: When do kids...

15 Months for my DD

18 Months

3. Sleep with a pillow?
    I was told not until they ask for it. (Pillows aren't neccesarily good for you)

DD was 13 months, I moved her out when she was able to climb out of the crib.

Still kicks them off

Don't know.

DD just started this