Expert Forum User

Default JK Orientation Nights

I have my DS's Orientation this week. I got a letter in the mail asking me to RSVP. It also said to try and make arrangements for your children not to come. (Which is no problem) I called anyways to double check, and even my DS who is going to be in JK is not suppose to come, unless I have no where else to take him. The secretary said its a meeting of the teachers, principal and a opportunity for me to sign up and volunteer for stuff. Is this the norm?

Expert Forum User

For our JK orientation the children attend and get to meet the teachers and look at the classrooms, but they are also taken on a 20 min bus ride with the principal while the teachers, speech and language pathologist, learning support teacher, secretary...talk to the parents.

Expert Forum User

Our had an info night without the kids, then another date for the kids to visit.

Expert Forum User

We had JK orientation last week but it was silly as the kids just played at 5 stations in the gym for an hour. There was no meet the teacher, classroom visit, bus trip or anything and that is all we have until they go in September. Sorry, that is my vent.
    I have heard of others schools offering an parent info time, and then a different day having the kids come too, that is probably what your school is offering.

Expert Forum User

Mine is having a morning on June 8th to take a bus tour, school tour which she so does not need, a meet the teacher and a treat session. The parents get to meet with the teachers, principals and speech consultant.
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

We just had a visit to the jk/sk classroom and met the teacher and principal. DS got to see his classroom and I know the teacher had drawn up a schedule (which I totally forgot to check) but no one told us not to bring the other kids so DD1 and DD2 were with us, other people had their kids too. Made for a crowded room with all the kids and parents but it seemed to mostly be a chance for the kids to familiarize themselves with the room. DH too DS to the bathrooms to see what they were like, but no school tour.
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

We had our orientation last week and were encouraged to bring the kids. We were each given a package with the 2009-2010 school year schedule/info on PTAs, info on supplies and items each child needs for September. While all the parents were in the gym, the kids were brought to the classroom to play and do some crafts. It was pretty good!