View Poll Results: Which do you go by for carseat safety for your kids?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just weight (80 lbs)

7 22.58%
  • Just age (8 yrs of age)

3 9.68%
  • BOTH age and weight (80 lbs and 8 yrs of age)

13 41.94%
  • Other - explain

8 25.81%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What do you go by for carseat laws?

I thought I would post this poll and just see what others do.

The law, from what I know of, states 8 yrs old and 80 lbs to go without any child seat in a vehicle. Which do you go by?

I voted "Both age and weight" I said that because my son is 9yrs old but is underweight, he is just 40 lbs now.
    Jen
    Jenuwyn - previously known as KnCmama

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

were told one or the other, as our son was heavy but not tall enough. so he finally made it out of his booster in gr.6 or 7 yeah wow

I go by both but if I had to choose one it would be weight. At 40 lbs I think I would keep him in the five point harness if possible and definitely in a booster. My DD is 45 lbs in the five point harness.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

height, weight, age

Expert Forum User

I can't say for sure yet as my kids are only 3 and 4 and both in 5 point harnesses (and they can stay in them until 65 pounds unless they end up too tall for the car seat). I have this feeling they will be 8 years old and only weigh 40-50 pounds so I'm not sure what I will do at that point.

Oh yeah I forgot about height. I don't even know what the height limits are.
    LondonMoms has really gone downhill, ever since they started chit chatting in the home and garden forum. There is a place for chit chat, people!!!

Expert Forum User

Miss A is 52 lbs, but she's 9. So she stays in her booster. My son, he hated car seats in general, so as soon as he hit the weight restriction, he got out of the booster. Little Miss isn't quite 40 lbs, but she's too tall for her 5-point. She's actually been out of her 5-point harness for a while now. She's in her booster with the back on it. So I guess my answer is either/or. I couldn't go by all three before my kids got out of their 5-point harness or booster, they'd never get out of them until highschool!

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    Oh yeah I forgot about height. I don't even know what the height limits are.
    The reason I put height first is bc both of my kids shot past the backs of all of their carseats before they were heavy or old enough. It was a struggle for a while. They didn't have some of the really accomodating carseats that they have now, ten years ago. My daughter was too big and tall for the carrier carseat by about 8 months. Too tall for the next seat by 3 years old. Booster seat until she was 8 years old and she just barely stayed below the headrest, and she was ALSO like 1 lb away from the 80lbs at 8yrs old. My son is a wafer stick and is obv still in a booster seat (prefer the one with the back but that one has disappeared into our old babysitter's car with no sign of return because she is apparently using it for her granddaughter, so that means I don't get it back) and will be until he's 8 AND close to 80lbs.

I don't know but if you find me can you send me home???

My 7 year old is HUGE. He is over the 80 pds and well over the height. However, my 3 and 5 year olds are still in 5 points even though they are good to move to boosters, i don't think they are ready yet.

Expert Forum User

I put age. My DS is 8.5 (9 next month) and 65 lbs. I no longer put him in a booster. If he was lighter weight, I probably would.
    Stacey

Expert Forum User

I voted other....
    My oldest was out of a car seat by the time he was 7, but the rules were different then.
    My younger two are still in boosters
    DS#2 is 7 and under the weight so he will stay in his booster for a while (likely another couple of years unless he suddenly gains weight or height)
    DS#3 who is 6 is the same weight as #2 (by a couple of pounds) and only 1" shorter (and growing fast!) I could see him out of the booster by age 8.

I voted other. Somewhere out there there is a list of 5 checkpoints. Something about how the legs sit on the seat, weight, helight, - some other things I can't remember. Aden's nowhere close to it though.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

I said weight, but my DD is only 15 months so I'm a long way from the "no car seat" stage yet! Of course, she is still in a rear-facing car seat because she is only 21 pounds, not the 30 pounds that is the limit for our seat in the rear-facing position (it's a 3-in-1 seat - she outgrew the infant carrier before she was one since she just shot up in length so fast!).

According to http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/saf...t/choose.shtml once a child meets any ONE of the criteria, then they can use just the seat belt, and not a car seat/booster. They must be either 8 years old, 36 kgs (80 lbs), or 145 cms (4'9" tall). So basically, the laws says that once a child turns 8, regardless of weight & height, they can stop using a booster.

Myself, I will probably continue to use at least a booster until all 3 criteria are met - it's just safer in my mind - but we will see when the time comes, since it is still 7 years away.
    Last edited by farmermom; 05-27-2009 at 12:17 PM. Reason: found website for car seat laws

Quote Originally Posted by farmermom View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the law was ONE of the criteria is met, then the child can be out of the car seat. That is, once the child is 8, then they can be out of the seat, regardless of the weight/height. Similarily, if they weigh enough, then they can be out as well, even if they are only 7. I thought it was an either-or thing, not a "all conditions must be met" thing. Maybe I misunderstood though. Myself, I will probably wait until she meets all the conditions anyway (age, weight & height) before I take her out of a seat completely since I know it is just safer.
    That is my impression here too. Some people try to extend it past what is legal in to what is safer though (Ie extended rear-facing, harnessing etc) so I think that is what the poll is getting at. Trying to figure out the common practice. I could be wrong too though
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Ana
    Expert Forum User

If you have a real beanpole of a kid who is tall and skinny, its possible to meet the age and height requirement, but if you wait for the weight requirement, they may be so tall by then that their head and neck arent protected by the headrest in your car or van, so sometimes its not the safest to wait till they meet all three.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast