Thread: Learn to Quilt

Expert Forum User

Default Learn to Quilt

I want to learn to quilt. I have a pattern and fabric in mind. Where do I start?

there is a quilting store on hyde park just south of Fanshawe, they have patterns, fabrics, and classes.

Have fun! I am waiting for my mom to move to London and plan to learn from her

Banned

Fabricland runs classes I believe.

Do you have any quilting tools?
    self-healing mat
    grid rulers
    roller/rotary knife

I find it easy to cut out the pieces accurately with these. It is then easier to sew the blocks accurately.

This may be a good place to start cotton-by-post learn to quilt class. or Welcome to Joyce's Sewing Shop in London Ontario - Classes&Events.

I have collected and read alot of quilting books. I have taught myself so far. I have made some rag quilts and a crazy quilt. I have not completed a traditional quilt yet. I am working on a quilt top right now. I have made 22 of the 28 blocks. My quilt top has a different pattern for each block. The last 6 blocks may take awhile. I want to take a class on free-motion machine quilting when I am ready to put the layers together.

What block pattern do you want to make?

Expert Forum User

Buy your fabric, find your pattern & pre-wash and iron your material. Then just follow the pattern. Easy peasy.
    I've made quite a few quilts & stitched them by hand. I love it...when I have the time, lol.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

Expert Forum User

i love quilts and i love quilting...but for someone who is not good at finishing projects, quilting is probably the worst possible hobby! LOL

you've already had lots of great suggestions...so just wanted to say have fun! it can become addicting....i haven't done it in quite a while. but i haven't touched my sewing maching for ANY reason in quite awhile....this reminds me that i need to find time for things like that again....

my aunt makes quilts for everyone for every occasion, lol...and they are so beautiful. there really is nothing as unique and personal about making a quilt. and some of hers are quite simple---just simple blocks of different fabrics, border fabrics between the blooks and backing and trim! i think the biggest 'art' to those quilts is learning how to mix fabric.

i've done paper-piecing....i LOVE the way the images look. it feels confusing to start, but once you get the hang of it, it's not hard at all. and the pictures look so intricate. but it's ALL straight lines.

oh, have fun!!! I miss my sewing machine! LOL
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

i've been thinking of this as i was unpacking stuff.. i want to make a quilt of all my DD's baby things she has out grown. (dress's, blankets, cloths, clothing)

haha i know how to do it.. watched my grandparents all the time .. my only problem is .. i cant sew lol.

spots: you got som good tips here. im going to steal them lol but yea JD gave good advice get the tools for quilting will be alot easier.

Team - Edward!!

I taught myself through lots of books from the library and online tutorials. My sister and mum wanted to learn at the same time so we made a day of it - helping each other and learning together. It was fun too.
    My musings about my children, my crafts and everything and anything else can be found on my blog.

Banned

I just noticed this thread, I'd like to take some classes. I'd like to do some very traditional quilts that will eventually be on our girl's bed when they're able to sleep in one. I can get a book with patterns dating back to the early 1800's. I'd like to sit a class though so I can learn on hands how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by forestenchanted View Post
    there is a quilting store on hyde park just south of Fanshawe, they have patterns, fabrics, and classes.
    London Yarns? LONDON YARNS

Have fun! I am waiting for my mom to move to London and plan to learn from her
    Lucky, lucky you
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

Junior Member momof3littleladies's Avatar

I took a class through the spectrum and then basically self taught myself...guess it depends if you want to hand quilt or machine. For hand quilting their is a United church on Dundas st across from the American Motel where they quilt on Monday mornings,,,not sure if they are still quilting through the summer, so maybe you could join a group like that.