Expert Forum User

Default Pregnancy & weight gain

Being a bigger person to start out this pregnancy, i figured that like my other pregnancies, i would drop 20 lbs, and then gain that back towards the end of the pregnancy. Since i am on diclectin to control the morning sickness, im not actually throwing up anymore, unless i have a really bad. Anyways at my last Ob appt, i was weighed, and had gained back 2 lbs, from the weight lost. Being on the bigger side already, i really dont want to gain a whole lot, because i am afraid of not being able to lose it afterwards. What is a healthy amount of weight for a bigger person to gain? and how can i stay in that range? I should add that since i still am dealing with morning sickness, i cant eat any meat, anything heavy, or anything at night, other than some fruit.
    Madison - Setember 20,2002
    Emma - June 12,2006 RCDH
    Carter- November 3, 2009

I'm heavier too but it's my first pregnancy. I didn't lose any weight because my appetite has remained pretty hearty. I am approaching my 32 week and have only put on 8 pounds. I can't say I am doing anything in particular and I thought I would put on more with the amount I am eating.

I do walk for about 30 minutes a day - pretty leisurely with my dog. I eat when I am hungry and try to avoid junk food but treat myself now and again.

I would check with your OB/midwife as the range for weight gain depends on your BMI.

Congrats on your pregnancy!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! PancakeMom's Avatar

My experience was abnormal....I gained 90 poinds with my first. It ended up being a thyroid issue. Still dealing with it
    Being aware is a good thing it will help you eat well, and give you the extra oomph to take it off when you are done. Heck whats a few pounds for a healthy babe?

Everything I love is illegal, immoral or fattening.

Expert Forum User

My Dr told me that as long as I was eating healthy when I could (meaning when I wasn't puking) that no weight gain was OK since I was about 30 lbs overweight to begin anyway.

Expert Forum User

"They" say 15 - 25 lbs if you start the pregnancy overweight. But hey, we're all different, right?
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Expert Forum User

I would say have fruits and veggies be the main part of any meal. That is what I have done. I have also limited carbs later on in the day. I eat carbs for breakfast and some for lunch. But, I gained A LOT the first pregnancy, and it took me a couple years to take it off. I was not going to do that again!

"The secret to having it all... Is knowing you already do."

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

eat halthy during your pregnancy but don't get too worried about weight gain, i gained a ton with my first and lost it all. have a bit to lose now with the second, but it will come.

it's just weight, it can be lost.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~