View Poll Results: Public or Private

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • My child attends public school

39 81.25%
  • My child attends private school

9 18.75%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Public or Private School?

Just curious whether your children attend public school or private school. What do people think about the public schools in London? How about schools like Waldorf, Montessori, Nancy Collegiate or others?

Expert Forum User

No "other"?

Our kids are and will be educated outside of school (ie, "homeschooled").
    formerly Kathy

Expert Forum User

My children are attending public school(FI). But I went to private. I attended London Christian Elementary and London District Christian Secondary school. IF I had the money I would definitely entertain the idea of sending my kids to those 2 schools or Montessori. But I really do love the public FI school my girls are attending.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy View Post
    No "other"?

Our kids are and will be educated outside of school (ie, "homeschooled").

I realize that there are many parents who homeschool their children, but since that is not an option that I am considering, I didn't include it in my poll--which is posted basically to get feedback on public and private schools to help me make a decision about my child's education.

but you shouldn't be making a decision about your own child's schooling based on a poll!!

My kids will be homeschooled too.

Expert Forum User

I'm just bummed I have nothing to click.
    formerly Kathy

truthfully your decision should be multi based: your own background (Catholic- non-catholic) your beliefs/values/morals as a family and what you want your child to learn and base theirs on. What type of education you wish your child to learn do you want the school they attend to have Religion as a larger part of his education or not?? Maybe meet with the prinicpals from both schools in your area and 'interview' them to see if their school's criteria meet your own. take it from a mom who NOW wishes she had gone a different path. really research your decision its a 10 year committment for your child to live with.

Expert Forum User

Yes, those things MrsSunshine mentioned are all things to consider. Nancy Campbell is reputed to be an excellent school, at least from what I've heard/read, with a fairly intriguing-sounding program and approach to education, but it is a faith-based school (Bahai Faith), so you'd have to look into that belief model and decide if you're comfortable with that. (Nancy Campbell Collegiate Institute - Wikipedia) Waldorf school, too, involves spiritual aspects. (Waldorf education - Wikipedia) Also, each of the schools you mentioned (Nancy Campbell, Waldorf, Montessori, as well as more "conventional" schools like public school) have their own educational approaches and philosophies: it's not as simple as one or the other being "best"; you'd have to evaluate each one, and decide which outlook and approach is most in agreement with your own beliefs about how children do/should learn and which one may be the best fit for your individual child.

Good luck with your decision! There's plenty to consider; I hope you find an option that suits your child and your family.
    Last edited by Ceili; 05-23-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    formerly Kathy

Ana
    Expert Forum User

I was sad not to see a homeschooling option too...nothing for me to click. You do know it isnt just for fundamentalist christians and mormons now, right? You know that there is a huge and growing movement of homeschoolers who are choosing this option not to limit their children, but to expand their world beyond what any institution can offer? Sorry, couldnt resist

is catholic public since you dont pay for it? what about robarts?
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Mine is not in London anymore but the school he attended there, Woodland Heights, I adored. I wish he could have stayed there. We moved far away though.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

We homeschool now too, but I went through the process of choosing a school at one point, and my kids attended Montessori House of Children for several years.

It was a wonderful school and I highly recommend it, if you can swing it financially. Nice community, a child-centric view of education, lots of positives. If you have further questions about it, feel free to PM me.

Since you're probably wondering...we homeschool because it allows us to meet our children's unique educational needs more specifically (in ways that Montessori simply wasn't able to), but if I had to put them back in school, I would go there. Of course, like Hecate said earlier, homeschooling is a wonderful approach too and one we are currently sold on and committed to.

Good luck making your choice!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by *allie* View Post
    Mine is not in London anymore but the school he attended there, Woodland Heights, I adored. I wish he could have stayed there. We moved far away though.
    My dd attended woodland heights last year for JK...we loved the teachers.

If I was to choose a private school it would definitely be Matthew's Hall.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    If I was to choose a private school it would definitely be Matthew's Hall.
    I have heard really good things about Matthews Hall too. If we had the dough, we might consider it.

We have our DD in public school now. Have considered homeschooling but it's not something I'm ready for right now.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast