Thread: Fabric

Expert Forum User

Default Fabric

I was just wondering where does everyone buy their fabric from? Where do you find the best deals? Greatest selection? What ever, anything and everything about fabric.

I am just getting into sewing and I feel very lost just in trying to figure out what type of fabrics to use for what. Any help would be appreciated.
    DS#1 Dec 06
    DS#2 May 08
    DD#1 Oct 09
    DD#2 Dec 10

Ive found walmart to have great prices..although im not doing any big project..pillow cases, barbie dresses etc. Ive been to fabric land and they often have a huge sale its a scarey place because theres so many choices.
    Been to Lens mills again theres lots to choose from
    Mom of 2 and 2

Mump&Grump_Mom

Fabricland has a good selection and really good sales. You can check their website (fabricland.ca I think) and check out what is on sale at any given time. They usually have one sale right after the other too.

If you are just getting started with sewing you can get some basic patterns and some cotton print fabric to work with, something that isn't too costly or difficult to work with.

http://www.mccall.com/ has good prices on patterns, about 1/2 what you pay in the store.

I like to work with flannelette and cotton, making blankets and bibs for my little ones. The hardest part of sewing is finding the time

Sarah

Expert Forum User

I buy all of mine at Fabricland. As already mentioned, great selection and prices. You can also get a member card that gives you more discounts. As for advice, I don't think you want mine! I NEVER use a pattern, I don't measure - I just go with the flow and see what I end up with. I cook the same way. Sometimes I am quite impressed and sometimes my project ends up in the garbage!

Your pattern should tell you what type of fabric you need. I do buy my patterns at fabricland, but what I do is look at the websites www.butterick.com www.simplicity.com and that mccalls one and write down what I want. FL has a sale every week on a different brand of pattern. I just wait until the brand I want is on sale and go then.

I buy all my fabric from online co-ops now.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

i buy mine at fabricland, i know wal-mart had nice ones, but never bought from thre yet!
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by PikaJen
    I buy all my fabric from online co-ops now.
    Do they send you swatches ahead of time? How would you know what the fabric actually looks/feels like?

They post pictures of the fabric to the group, or in the case with MM, all fabric is up for grabs, as long as a whole bolt is filled. I think the last order was something like 200 bolts.

As for feel, no, you don't know the first time. But you can often request a swatch of something, like organic bamboo, and they will send it to you. I started with ordering just a few yards of the MM, to check it out. It's amazing, it's heaps above anything else I've bought locally. Last co-op, I bought 20 yards or so.

Someone appears to have found some old MM at Lens Mills, so you might be able to find some there. According to their website though, they don't retail outside the US.

ETA - I have never been disappointed. Not once. Always I am even more pleased with how it looks when I get it.

Expert Forum User

I get most of my fabric at fabricland - we have a membership discount card. I find that they have better quality fabric than wal-mart... and less expensive fabric than lensmills.

However, if you're in the States often... Joanne's has a fabulous assortment of fabric.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!