Expert Forum User

Default selling the house

If anyone has any tips for selling a home please share.

My home has been listed for 2 weeks and theres only been one viewing. The realitor has not posted pictures of the inside on mls. We have it at a lower price then we planned. Mobile homes in the park i live in are selling fast but noone is viewing mine! I have no idea what I should do to the inside of the house other than to declutter a bit and keep it clean. Is there anything else i should do? I keep getting mixed messages on if i should take down photos, leave them up, remove some of the furnature(not really possible). HELP!!!!
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

I would definitely streamline the living spaces, even if that means renting a storage space in the meantime. And absolutely get pictures up on MLS! I'm hunting right now, and whenever I see a property without pictures it draws suspicion.

Have you looked at this?

Buying and selling a house - Expert Tips with Your Money - W Network

Zoo
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

definitely get pictures. I figure the place is trashed if they don't put up inside pics!!

Definately pictures! I'd have to love the exterior for me to look further into a house with no pictures.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Get pictures for SURE.
    Also if you don't like their pictures, take your own. I had to do that with my first realtor. LOL funny story actually, I was asking this same kind of question on here a year ago or so and someone reported me to my agent, saying I was bad mouthing her. She was really really disappointing us. Anyway she offered to terminate my contract lol. I was so excited and meanwhile, I'm pretty sure someone here meant to get me into hot water...really, it got me what we'd been wanting : ) (Her off our contracts!)

Anyway.
    Decluttering is very good.
    Also if you take down pics, put up something more neutral, like landscapes or such. You don't want the discoloured paint/paper (if it's sun faded).
    The less furniture the better, as long as it still looks livable.
    That might mean storag,e yes.

Remember things like the exterior - you want it to look inviting, and attractive. So even if you like (just an exampe lol) your garden full of gnomes...not everyone else sees that as cute, and might think clutter, subconsciously, and be turned off from the place.
    If you don't have flower beds, get some planeters wiht flowers.

Make sure the place smells good, or doens't smell at all. No smoke or animals or taco bell smell
    Some say burn cookie scented candles etc but I know whenI walked through homes that smelled oddly sweet, it made my stomache turn and also made me wonder what they're covering up. So don't go overboard.
    If you have pets, try to hide as much evidence of that as possible. So they won't be thinking smells you'll leave behind, possible stains hidden, or fleas etc.
    Also you want children and animals out of the house whenever possible for showings. They fill space, and distract.

That's all I have so far. Good luck
    Don't be afraid to tell your agent you want photos, you want this or that - they're working for you. You're payint them (later). It's not like you have to ask. However keep in mind sometimes, the ad first goes up just in basic form, and then, the details come in. No clue why, how hard is it to put an ad up all the way the first time, but I've noticed that a lot. So maybe first, ASK if the pics are on their way if they've been taken but not posted...and if not, then say you want them to be
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Expert Forum User

MAke sure your realtor is working for you! If you are asking for pics, he/she should be putting them up, if you are wanting an open house, they should be holding one for you. You will get much controversy over sales techniques etc, but I know I always pre-shopped at open houses, and I think it's a great way to get ppl into your space! (my house sold at the open house, the first weekend.)

Expert Forum User

I agree, declutter as much as possible, we spent two weeks of decluttering everyday before showing our house. We have sold twice and each time it was the first person that came to view the house.

When searching for a new home we did not go to any houses that did not have inside pics. From my experience house shopping with a friend every house we went to that did not have inside pics was either trashed or really outdated, this does not mean it's the case for every home that was listed but it was our experience.

As PP mentioned, rent a storage area if possible. It also looks really bad if you declutter only to throw it into one room. We went to a few houses that threw everything in the garage or basement room. I know it is silly but we knew it came from the house and even if you are not the best housekeeper or declutter you want to give the illusion to househunters that you are.

DH was really picky. He likes to buy "move-in" condition homes, which is really frustrating because he would veto places that were perfectly fine because he didn't like the carpet in one room or the paint colour. But at least when he is this way we are not fighting over "getting the renos done just maintaining our home".

Expert Forum User

Get rid of as much stuff as possible. Especially when you take the pictures. We got rid of a WHOLE bunch of stuff (sold, donate, trash or moved it to someone else's house) Everyone commented on how much bigger our house looked. Too much stuff makes a place look small and that's never a good thing.

Think about curb appeal. Keep it clean and neat and add live flowers.

Expert Forum User

thanks for the advice. I have decluttered. I cannot afford a bigger storage unit then we have now, my house still has more stuff in it than i would like. My car and shed is filled with stuff right now. I dont smoke inside and i just dont have time to deal with outside. I've tidyied up the toys in the yard but theres so many it doesnt make much of a difference lol. We finally have a viewing today so ive been cleaning like crazy. I've also got some candles burning. I may take some photos down because i do have alot up. Well I should finish cleaning before the kids wake up. I really hope this place sells soon. I will definatly speak with my realtor today and email him some pictures. I don't like lookin at houses without pictures either.
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

Banned

Good luck with your viewing .

Good Luck!
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by *allie* View Post
    G

Make sure the place smells good, or doens't smell at all. No smoke or animals or taco bell smell
    Some say burn cookie scented candles etc but I know whenI walked through homes that smelled oddly sweet, it made my stomache turn and also made me wonder what they're covering up. So don't go overboard.

I've heard to make the house smell nice to boil a few cinnamon sticks on the stove before an open house/showing.

I agree with everyone on here. Don't get discouraged about not too many showings. I had my condo up for sale for about 2 1/2 months and at the beginning, we hardly had any showings. The week before it sold, we had about 10 showings all at once. We had already moved out by then because we already had another house to go to so our condo was much easier to show.

Definitely, declutter as much as you can. Some buyers get overwhelmed when they see too many things everywhere.

I would get pictures up on MLS asap. When we were looking at houses, I always liked to see what the interior looked like before we made a commitment to go see it. Sometimes, the exterior looks great and when you get inside, you realize the interior needs a lot of work or isn't what you wanted.

Good luck with the sale. Don't get discouraged. Times are tough right now for everyone and it is taking a little longer to sell than it was a year ago but it will happen. Make sure you are talking to your agent lots, getting feedback from other properties in your area from him/her, how much they are selling for, how much they sold for, how long they were listed for, etc. Ask for feedback from the people that do come and see it and realize that long weekends are always harder to show than a regular weekend. Maybe have an open house next weekend. That may or may not help. Open houses for us didn't work. We had 2 and hardly anyone came to see the condo and those that did, were time-wasters more than anything.
    Loving every minute of being a mother of two little boys!