Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! Mommy2Cuties's Avatar

Default Any nurse mamas out there who have a special needs child?

DH and I were talking about school a few days ago and he said I should go back... well DUH I am trying to but cant settle on something solid. I have too many ideas and blah blah blah...

Anyway I have always been interested in the medical field (and trust me I am kicking myself for following my dream of becoming a doctor but that is hindsight now) so I thought about nursing.

I really watched them last time Alysa was admitted and, most of the time, it seemed like they knew more about what was going on then the doctors did they had much more patient contact and well really got a good rapport/relationship going with Alysa. I mean one of them even remembered from when she was hopsitalized 18 months before the last time! Amazing.

Okay sorry getting of track - just wondering if there are any nurse mamas out there who have a special needs child. I would really love to get into peds but I am really scared that i wont be able to handle it if I get a CF child or a child who ends up being terminal or whatever

DH is being really supportive and thinks that because I have the girls and because they have their health issue that it will make more compassionate, understanding, and whatever to other families in similar situations.

Just wondering how you cope..... sorry for the babble.
    I stole Turtle's Lollipop! xoxo

Nicole, mama to Miss A (April 2005), Miss K (Sept 2007), Angel Baby (August 2008), and Baby A (June 2009)

I did nursing with a special needs child. It was hard with the shift work. That bothered me more then looking after a child with the same thing as mine. Working nights was so hard to do.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I am not a nurse..and probabaly enver will be.

but I bet i could do it without any problems, I figure if i can see my own child's heart beat in her chest, IV in her heads, do her tube feedings, watch ehr bronch's, learn how to tell what a good chest x ray looks lik for her, give her needles and meds, and sit with her through other intesive tests without breaking down, i figure i could do it on another child no sweat.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Expert Forum User

I DON'T HAVE A SPECIAL NEEDS CHILD BUT I THINK THE SHIFTWORK MAY BE DIFFICULT. I AM FINDING IT HARD RIGHT NOW WITH 2 HEALTHY KIDS......
    AS FAR AS COPING YOU MIGHT SURPRISE YOURSELF. I WORK WITH ADULTS BECUSE I KNOW WORKING WITH KIDS WOULD SEND ME HOME IN TEARS EVERYDAY. MY POINT IS THERE ARE LOTS OF AREAS IN NURSING THAT ARE REWARDING AND CHALLENGING...DURING YOUR TRAINING YOU WILL HAVE THE CHANCE TO DO A NUMBER OF ROTATIONS TO HELP YOU DECIDE!
    JOB SECURITY IS ALSO A BIG THING AS THERE WILL BE SOMETHING LIKE 60, 000 NURSES SHORT IN THE NEXT 10 OR 15 YEARS!

Expert Forum User

I want to eventually move into the RN field, but I want to concentrate on the geriatric field. I don't think I could do emerg or paed's. Not when I'm dealing with it every day with my three. Best of luck to you!! May I offer just one step of advice. If it's been a while since you've taken an advanced math or advanced science, do it. It will look so much better, at least that's what they told me.

Not something I have experience with, but you would likely do well with the compassion side of things and medical side as you likely see a lot of it with your girls. I imagine they have good support for leave time, so that might not be too bad. And as for shift work, perhaps you would prefer somthing in the recovery room for example. I've been told (by them) that some of them do regular shifts, so do long shifts and some do shift work. That was back last year, so I'm not sure if it has changed since then... The other thought would be one of the imagining units (x-ray, cardiology, ultrasound) as for the most part they seem to work regular hours. Good luck!

I am a nurse with a special needs child. I work only about 8-16 hours a week, which is enough for me. I'm lucky to have day shifts. If you really want to be a Nurse then go for it! I used to love it until recently, losing many patients, very sad for me. I currently work in Ambulatory care where I don't have to deal with the dying. It is so hard on me. I can't even think about peds...way to heart breaking. But if you watch Greys...you also experience a lot of "JOY" with peds. Follow your heart.
    Last edited by CaitnChloesMum; 05-27-2009 at 07:28 PM.

Expert Forum User

I seriously considered nursing (asnd midwifery) a number of years back because I have always loved anything medical and have been the labour support person for three deliveries, but personally decided that it wasn't for me. As a single mother of two kids (one special needs) with an absent ex, I am just not willing to make the life changes I thought would be necessary to allow for shift work. I opted for training as an Educational Assistant instead and graduated with distinction last year.