Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default anyone tried the BABY ERGO CARRIER?

I have read alot about it, and found a store in kitchener that sells them, so when I have the baby I will be able to test it out before I buy it, but I wanted to know if anyone has tried it and liked/disliked it. They are expensive, but I also looked to buy one from Ebay and realized when I am done with it I can get alot of my money back just selling it on Ebay. I was going to use a baby bjorn, and still might, but I thought the ERGO looks like it might be better for the baby and more comfy for mom, especially as baby grows. Anyone have any insight on this item?

Expert Forum User

I haven't tried myself (yet) but I've only heard positive things.

I have a baby bjorn and I think it sucks. I rarely use it because it kills my shoulders after a while. I do have a heavier than average baby mind you. The carrier is probably designed for normal sized babies. I only use it for when I go to playgroups and I will be using it a short time.
    I met a lady who owned an ERGO carrier and I thought it was excellent, she let me try it on. I may buy one myself. It is better because it uses the hip area as well which is what are bodies are meant to do. The lady I spoke to said her DH loves it and he has scoliosis. IMO I think it may be worth it.

MBM
    Formerly Mega Baby Mom:
    Mother of 2 boys born May 2004 and September 2006!

"I don't pretend to have all the answers. I don't pretend to even know what the questions are. Hey, where am I?"
    ~ Jack Handey

Wind,Sand&Stars

I have one and love it. It really distributes the weight evenly so I don't even feel that I am carrying extra weight. My son is almost 18 mos old and about 21 lbs. When we first got it about a month ago, he didn't seem overly impressed with it and would try to wiggle out of it...I worried that it was a huge waste of money. But as we started to use it more he has gotten to really like it....when he sees it he points at it and gets all excited and wants to sit in it. I was mostly going to use it when we go out but now I find myself wearing him around the house and when we do yard work.

The only thing I don't like about it is the material it is made of...major dog hair magnet...which drives me nutty.

I've got one too and barely used it. It's the New Generation Ergo, so you can wear your little one on your back, front or side (hip). However, you have to wait until your baby is a certain weight - I think around 4 or 5 months. By then, she had no inclination to go in it and instead wanted to be held directly. But I did use it a few times. Am thinking of dusting it off now that I'm expecting #2, but then again, I'd have to wait an awful long time for him to fit it! There is an insert you can get for babies. but after shoveling out so much for the Ergo itself, I didn't want to have to fork out more for an insert I'd only use briefly.

While it is indeed really comfortable, I don't think it suited my needs. Guess I'm more of a sling/stroller mama!